Oculus Rift-developer killed during police chase

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Legion_

Duders, got some sad news today.

Andrew Reisse, one of the founders of Oculus VR and lead engineer on Oculus Rift, was killed during a police chase on thursday. He was 33 years old.

A couple of gang members were in a shootout, where one of the gang members were killed, and the rest fled. This kicked off a chase through the streets of Santa Ana. The gang members ran several red lights, including one where Reisse was crossing the street. They hit two cars, and subsequently hit Reisse, who died from the injuries he sustained.

The perpetrators were put into custody shortly after. Oculus VR has since released the following statement.

"Andrew was a brilliant computer graphics engineer, an avid photographer and hiker who loved nature, a true loyal friend, and a founding member of our close-knit Oculus family.

Some of us have known Andrew since college, and have worked with him at multiple companies beginning with Scaleform in Maryland which he helped start at age 19, then at Gaikai in Aliso Viejo which brought him out to California, and finally at Oculus where he was a co-founder and lead engineer.

Andrew's contributions span far and wide in the video game industry. His code is embedded in thousands of games played by millions of people around the world.

Words can not express how sorely he will be missed or how deeply our sympathy runs for his family.

Andrew will always be in our thoughts and will never be forgotten. We love you Reisse."

It's just such a meaningless death, and so sad. The world has lost a creative visionary, the gaming community has lost a important member, and a family has lost a loved one. I just wanted to create this thread, so that we in the Giant Bomb community can show our sympathy and offer our condolences.

Reisse-family and Oculus VR, you have my condolences, and my deepest sympathy.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0