One thing that need to change in open world games

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Edited By trophyhunter

I think we can all agree that the open world crime game is getting pretty damn tired. the first thing that I think needs to change is the setting.
I don't know about you but I'm sick of open world games that take place in a normal New York city clone. Unless they make some massive new features for GTA5, saints row 3, or mafia 2 its going to be pretty old and tired. Most of the fun in open world games is exploration, whats fun about driving around a normal city anymore.
But all is not lost for there are some games with interesting settings, that I'm looking forward to.
The first being Brutal Legend, it takes place in the world of metal name any other game with that setting. It has mountains shape like skulls, engines, guitar and fists giving the horns it'll be a damn just to see that world. Next you got Assassin's creed 2 I loved the first one but this next one looks amazing, I already have it preordered.
It takes place in renaissance Italy and has the same great climbing and free running with beautiful renaissance building. Lastly honorable mention goes to red faction guerrilla because it takes place om mars. 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By trophyhunter

I think we can all agree that the open world crime game is getting pretty damn tired. the first thing that I think needs to change is the setting.
I don't know about you but I'm sick of open world games that take place in a normal New York city clone. Unless they make some massive new features for GTA5, saints row 3, or mafia 2 its going to be pretty old and tired. Most of the fun in open world games is exploration, whats fun about driving around a normal city anymore.
But all is not lost for there are some games with interesting settings, that I'm looking forward to.
The first being Brutal Legend, it takes place in the world of metal name any other game with that setting. It has mountains shape like skulls, engines, guitar and fists giving the horns it'll be a damn just to see that world. Next you got Assassin's creed 2 I loved the first one but this next one looks amazing, I already have it preordered.
It takes place in renaissance Italy and has the same great climbing and free running with beautiful renaissance building. Lastly honorable mention goes to red faction guerrilla because it takes place om mars. 

smokeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By smokeH

I think setting does have a role with the enjoyment of exploration but also the gameplay aspect. I think why everyone loved riding around in GTA4 was because the driving was awesome and its just so fun to go on a mass murdering spree. I think its good to have a variety of settings but I don't mind if the setting is in a modern city as long as the gameplay/story holds up im fine with anything.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By trophyhunter
@smokeH said:
" I think setting does have a role with the enjoyment of exploration but also the gameplay aspect. I think why everyone loved riding around in GTA4 was because the driving was awesome and its just so fun to go on a mass murdering spree. I think its good to have a variety of settings but I don't mind if the setting is in a modern city as long as the gameplay/story holds up im fine with anything. "
so if in another year or two when gta5 comes out and its exactly like gta4 but in a different city  you'll buy it.
because I think that will be very boring after an hour.
smokeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By smokeH
@trophyhunter said:
" @smokeH said:
" I think setting does have a role with the enjoyment of exploration but also the gameplay aspect. I think why everyone loved riding around in GTA4 was because the driving was awesome and its just so fun to go on a mass murdering spree. I think its good to have a variety of settings but I don't mind if the setting is in a modern city as long as the gameplay/story holds up im fine with anything. "
so if in another year or two when gta5 comes out and its exactly like gta4 but in a different city  you'll buy it.because I think that will be very boring after an hour. "
Look at all the other GTA's they have been in Modern cities, some people have played through every GTA and still enjoy it. You know thats just like saying each WW2 game is the exact same, or every Modern Warfare game is the exact same. I guaranteed that if GTA5 comes out it will have new gameplay aspects something new to add to it to make it new and fresh. I agree with you its nice to have different settings but sometimes it doesn't really matter. THIS by the way is just my opinion im not saying its the right opinion. (that is for those of you that go bat shit crazy over someone's opinion, JUST to let you know that I'm not forcing this down your throat or anything)

ALSO, I forgot to mention I played GTA4 mostly for the story as a lot of people do. The storyline was great and had a lot of personality which is one reason why it will sell. I will probably enjoy GTA5 whether its in NY or Mars.
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By TheMustacheHero

I think there needs to be rewards for exploring areas, one fantastic example is Warhammer Online

Each time you found a new area or interacted with a certain object you would get a entry in your Tome of Knowledge (my favorite part of that game)
It would reward you with a paragraph or two about that place or relating to that object, and it would give you exp and a maybe even title.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By trophyhunter

well the reason all previous GTAs get a pass is because the whole open world concept was new. the concept had not been driven into the ground yet. like the first three guitar hero games were great then came: arowsmith, metalillica, bandhero, worldtour, ontour, GH5, rockband 1, 2 and Beatles. it's a little stale.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

I think designers should get more creative with open world games.

I'd like there to be more unconventional verticality to open worlds.  I'd like to see a open world city that had dozens of vertical layers as well as spreading out in other dimensions.  A bit like some areas in Infamous or Jet Set Radio Future.  I think it'd make a good cyberpunk setting at least.

TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@Diamond: Yeah that would be fun, more ladders less hills?
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By trophyhunter
@TheMustacheHero said:
" I think there needs to be rewards for exploring areas, one fantastic example is Warhammer OnlineEach time you found a new area or interacted with a certain object you would get a entry in your Tome of Knowledge (my favorite part of that game)It would reward you with a paragraph or two about that place or relating to that object, and it would give you exp and a maybe even title. "
that's really more of a solution to level grinding then stale open world games.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @Diamond: Yeah that would be fun, more ladders less hills? "
Doesn't just have to be ladders, all sorts of different ways of getting up.

What about something like the Blazblue world (even though it's not realized in a gameplay sense) where different sorts of people live on different layers.  What if you were stuck on the lowest rung of society and you had to follow the storyline to work your way up (in more than one sense).
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By trophyhunter
@Diamond said:
" I think designers should get more creative with open world games.I'd like there to be more unconventional verticality to open worlds.  I'd like to see a open world city that had dozens of vertical layers as well as spreading out in other dimensions.  A bit like some areas in Infamous or Jet Set Radio Future.  I think it'd make a good cyberpunk setting at least. "
like cyberpunk assassins creed?
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@trophyhunter said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" I think there needs to be rewards for exploring areas, one fantastic example is Warhammer OnlineEach time you found a new area or interacted with a certain object you would get a entry in your Tome of Knowledge (my favorite part of that game)It would reward you with a paragraph or two about that place or relating to that object, and it would give you exp and a maybe even title. "
that's really more of a solution to level grinding then stale open world games. "
But it gave extra incentive to explore the worlds. It's one thing if you are exploring for "the view" if any open world games have that, but instead of orbs or pigeons they should really give the player a reward for his exploration and not just laziley place them around the city for the player to collect and get an achievement, because really, is that fun?

Crackdown also is a good example, those orbs that you had to climb buildings to get weren't just "orbs" they increased your agility stat, so you could run and jump faster.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By trophyhunter
@Diamond said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
" @Diamond: Yeah that would be fun, more ladders less hills? "
Doesn't just have to be ladders, all sorts of different ways of getting up.What about something like the Blazblue world (even though it's not realized in a gameplay sense) where different sorts of people live on different layers.  What if you were stuck on the lowest rung of society and you had to follow the storyline to work your way up (in more than one sense). "
I'd actually love a not fighting game set in the blazblue world.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Diamond
@trophyhunter said:
like cyberpunk assassins creed? "
Could be, it's definitely an option.

I envision a game with a fairly epic scale, where the world above you looks completely different than the world you're slapped into, and you spend a good amount of time trying to access the overworld.  In a simple sense it'd be like the GTA series 'islands', except the other world would always be visible above you, and could be radically different looking.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By trophyhunter
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @trophyhunter said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:
that's really more of a solution to level grinding then stale open world games. "
But it gave extra incentive to explore the worlds. It's one thing if you are exploring for "the view" if any open world games have that, but instead of orbs or pigeons they should really give the player a reward for his exploration and not just laziley place them around the city for the player to collect and get an achievement, because really, is that fun?Crackdown also is a good example, those orbs that you had to climb buildings to get weren't just "orbs" they increased your agility stat, so you could run and jump faster. "
ooh I see what your saying I think brutal legend has something like that, with its skull telescope things.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By trophyhunter
@Diamond said:
" @trophyhunter said:
like cyberpunk assassins creed? "
Could be, it's definitely an option.I envision a game with a fairly epic scale, where the world above you looks completely different than the world you're slapped into, and you spend a good amount of time trying to access the overworld.  In a simple sense it'd be like the GTA series 'islands', except the other world would always be visible above you, and could be radically different looking. "
that sounds cool add in some terrain damage in where you can look from the upper world and see the damage you or others caused on the lower world