Paying for membership in the UK ?

rab2140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rab2140

Live in the united kingdom and have been wanting a membership for a while but there is no accepted payment type for me. Any idea if GB intend on adding paypal or maestro card payment options ? I know paypal requires individual input etc but just wanted an update if there is any updates in this department . Thanks

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It sucks man because Maestro Cards are the most worthless things on earth, actually ended up switching to banks that provided Visa Debit cards to get around the whole headache. Who still uses Maestro out of curiosity? I thought even Natwest jumped ship a lil while back.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Canteu

You should probably go with a bank that provides Visa. Maestro is shit everywhere, not just on this site.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By GS_Dan

I switched banks when I realised how terrible Maestro is. I just use PayPal for Giant Bomb, though.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm in the UK and used my Visa card. A Paypal account would also work.

Be aware that the $50 membership includes a $15 store voucher, which is pretty useless to us thanks the the postage costs.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By RonGalaxy

There's paypal membership options. One with a shirt one without. The membership without a shirt has some public coupon codes that take 15 dollars off (making it $35 plus tax). The codes can be found here. Some of the codes might not work, but keep trying ones until you find one that does. I got one to work a few weeks ago!

Edit: also, Rorie has to manually add your membership if you go through paypal, so it isn't instant. Once you do it, you can shoot him a PM to let him know you bought one. Alsox2: it may seem like there's no place to put a code, but there is. Its on the final page of the checkout where you're about to make your purchase (make sure you read everything carefully before you make your purchase).

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@rab2140: I live in the UK and have never had problems? Also they totally do have a PayPal option.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's paypal membership options. One with a shirt one without. The membership without a shirt has some public coupon codes that take 15 dollars off (making it $35 plus tax). The codes can be found here. Some of the codes might not work, but keep trying ones until you find one that does. I got one to work a few weeks ago!

Edit: also, Rorie has to manually add your membership if you go through paypal, so it isn't instant. Once you do it, you can shoot him a PM to let him know you bought one. Alsox2: it may seem like there's no place to put a code, but there is. Its on the final page of the checkout where you're about to make your purchase (make sure you read everything carefully before you make your purchase).

I bought one with the no shirt and used a code on thursday. It got working for me the next day...just in time for unprofessional Fridays!

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the hell is a Maestro card?

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the hell is giantbomb?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

@rab2140: I live in the UK and have never had problems? Also they totally do have a PayPal option.

I guess you don't use Maestro! No one on the internet takes Maestro!* It's like a Visa debit card but totally worthless outside of the highstreet

*slight exaggeration

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:

@yesiamaduck: Is it like a fake MasterCard?

Not a fake Master Card but I believe it's part of their brand. No one accepts it out of europe

InsaneMatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By InsaneMatt

I wasn't even aware that Maestro was still a "thing".

Anyway, as others have said GiantBomb do have a PayPal subscription option (but they have to manually activate you, so it's not instant). I, myself, have used the PayPal membership and membership via Visa without issue.

I think it's time you either look into getting a Credit Card or switching to a bank that gives you a Visa Debit Card.

ChosenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ChosenOne

SInce you seem to have PayPal, you could also apply for one of their Debit MasterCards, it's pretty nifty.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By markini6

One thing to be aware of: if, like my bank (Halifax) yours charges for international payments, it'll end up costing a little bit more as GB bill in dollars.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Fallen189

How can you live in the UK and not have a visa card?

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yeah dude you've got to get yourself a Visa, even if you find a way to subscribe for now, most internet stuff won't accept Maestro either down the line.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallen189 said:

How can you live in the UK and not have a visa card?

HEY

When I got my first debit card it was a SOLO which was even less accepted than Maestro (Switch at the time) most places in the UK wouldn't take the thing.... bloody rubbish card!

Yeah man ditch the bank, get one that has a Visa option :)

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

I asked @rorie about half a year ago and he's still implementing a PayPal monthly sub into the system.

Evan223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can purchase prepaid Visa cards that are basically gift cards for everywhere that accepts visa. (I'm posting fom my iPad so not sure if this link will work http://www.visa.co.uk/products/visa-payments/visa-prepaid )

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I asked @rorie about half a year ago and he's still implementing a PayPal monthly sub into the system.

Well, that's something we want to do, but we have to automate it and that will take some engineering time. I manually hook up every yearly Paypal membership at the moment so doing that for a bunch of monthly memberships would only slow everything down even more. Hopefully we can make it work at some point, as I know Paypal supports subscription stuff, but we have a lot of other stuff that we need to get done before we can tackle that.