Please Do Not Respond To Spam Threads

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

THEY ARE BACK!

The weekly influx of spammers has returned! Everybody run for your lives!

Naw, don't panic. It's all good :D

We appreciate that this is an absolute bitch and both the mods and the staff are doing all that we can to combat this. As the spammers are "sophisticated" enough to get past our captcha gates we are having to go through and delete them manually. On a saturday. Woop!

You know the drill.

It would be a massive help if you could flag any spambots that pop up and, more importantly, not respond to their threads. If you run out of flags then PM some mods and we will reset your karma for you. As a rule of thumb, the more mods you PM, the faster we will reply. You can PM all the mods simultaneously by clicking on the link in the FAQ.

Do not panic, Giant Bomb. It's under control.

Love, the mods

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By DeF

Oh so we should PM multiple mods? I always sit there and think "who might be the most appropriate to bother this with?" and I usually pick Marino when there's a bot :D

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By poisonmonkey

Will do Sweep, thanks for the heads up:)

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@DeF: There's a "PM all mods" link in the FAQ. Mash that.

It's much faster that PM'ing a single mod because of the whole time zone thing. For example Marino is in Texas, which means it's probably like 3am or some ridiculous time over there. However for the British mods, like myself, it's currently the middle of the day. Actually... what the fuck? I should be in the pub...

Avatar image for elliefightslions
Elliefightslions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Elliefightslions

At least its not as bad as the Tested forums ...

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Am I hallucinating or was this same pinned thread created last week?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@AhmadMetallic said:

Given recent trends, I expect a spam bot to create this exact thread, only with a link to a Bulls vs. Not-Bulls stream.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Reset karma please? 

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@AhmadMetallic: It was, but I wanted to remake it just to let everyone know that we are still on top of this shit - and also to stick more info in the OP.

@The_Laughing_Man: Done

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@Sweep said:

@AhmadMetallic: It was, but I wanted to remake it just to let everyone know that we are still on top of this shit - and also to stick more info in the OP.

I liked you better when you wanted to be inside of things rather than on top of them! Or have you joined that one Monty Python secret society?

@Video_Game_King said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Given recent trends, I expect a spam bot to create this exact thread, only with a link to a Bulls vs. Not-Bulls stream.

Looking forward to it! I hope the bot pins it too, lol. Anyway I honestly have never seen as many spam/bot threads as people claim. Clearly the GB mod team is on the fucking job, they clean up that shit quick. They're no fun!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@AhmadMetallic: It is possible for one to be both on top, and inside. Of things.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By toowalrus

Thank god they're spamming for Rugby now and not just Gridiron. It's good to see that the spammers are equal opportunity. 

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By MariachiMacabre

So you guys wanna watch this rugby game?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

@Sweep said:

It's much faster that PM'ing a single mod because of the whole time zone thing. For example Marino is in Texas, which means it's probably like 3am or some ridiculous time over there. However for the British mods, like myself, it's currently the middle of the day. Actually... what the fuck? I should be in the pub...

WHOA WHOA WHOA! WAIT!

Marino is in Texas?! HOW THE FUCK DID I NOT KNOW THIS?!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By nightriff

Reset Karma, apparently I haven't been able to flag since last Sunday

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@Nightriff: Done, but in the future please PM in the mod team if you need your karma reset, we can do things much faster that way.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By musubi
@Sweep How do I know YOU'RE not a bot? Trying to lure me in with your charms?
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Demoskinos: To be fair, I am pretty charming...

No Caption Provided
matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By matthew
No Caption Provided

I find this image appropriate

@jakob187 said:

@Sweep said:

WHOA WHOA WHOA! WAIT!

Marino is in Texas?! HOW THE FUCK DID I NOT KNOW THIS?!

Well, ummm, hey, Texas is pretty big, and sparse, and humid, has great bbq, and big. So you two should just get on viber and kick it like cool people.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Akyho

@Gamer_152 said:

@Nightriff: Done, but in the future please PM in the mod team if you need your karma reset, we can do things much faster that way.

That would explain why I have not been able to flag for a while. So I checked up on the Karma system, it dosnt seem perfect. Id ask for a reset however it seems that my calls on what to flag is probably poor and that is why I hut the limit.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mercy_

They've invaded CV as well...absolutely crazy T__T I've spent the last hour doing nothing more than banning accounts and deleting threads.

@Akyho said:

@Gamer_152 said:

That would explain why I have not been able to flag for a while. So I checked up on the Karma system, it dosnt seem perfect. Id ask for a reset however it seems that my calls on what to flag is probably poor and that is why I hut the limit.

The way that the flagging system works is this. Every time you flag something you receive a karma point and so does the person who's being flagged. If the mods deem the content flagworthy, you both keep your point, if they don't, the person you flagged loses theirs. Once you hit five karma points you lose the ability to flag, once you hit ten you lose the ability to post (the only way to hit ten is being flagged repeatedly, you can't reach that just from flagging).

You're supposed to lose one karma point every night, but there's a bug in the system where it doesn't drop off. So in all likelihood, your judgment is fine, it's just that you've flagged five things. Simply PM the mods and request for them to lower your karma.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Mercy_ said:

They've invaded CV as well...absolutely crazy T__T I've spent the last hour doing nothing more than banning accounts and deleting threads.

@Akyho said:

@Gamer_152 said:

The way that the flagging system works is this. Every time you flag something you receive a karma point and so does the person who's being flagged. If the mods deem the content flagworthy, you both keep your point, if they don't, the person you flagged loses theirs. Once you hit five karma points you lose the ability to flag, once you hit ten you lose the ability to post (the only way to hit ten is being flagged repeatedly, you can't reach that just from flagging).

You're supposed to lose one karma point every night, but there's a bug in the system where it doesn't drop off. So in all likelihood, your judgment is fine, it's just that you've flagged five things. Simply PM the mods and request for them to lower your karma.

Pretty much. This system is currently being revised, however, so expect changes when the site redesign arrives.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@Akyho said:

@Gamer_152 said:

That doesn't mean your flags are necessarily bad, we'd rather have people overzealous about flagging than not flagging what needs to be flagged. Anyway, I've reset your flags, enjoy.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Akyho

@Gamer_152 said:

That doesn't mean your flags are necessarily bad, we'd rather have people overzealous about flagging than not flagging what needs to be flagged. Anyway, I've reset your flags, enjoy.

Thanks, and yeah I had already put it down to a bug that would be sorted when the site redesign is fixed.

The lose a karma point by night does make it reasonable, just a bug ruins it for now.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Virago

@Sweep said:

@AhmadMetallic: It is possible for one to be both on top, and inside. Of things.

T-shirted.

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26  Edited By ShinjiEx

The Irony?