Pokemon Ruby/Saphire remake coming in November.

• 55 results
Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@crithon: Oh my apologies, I thought that line was semi-sarcastic in that you implied that it was being controlled by executives to force games annually - not that they had become so efficient that they could make games to the quality they wanted and also release games annually. (You know, the way I usually hear the term used ... followed by insane people talking aboout "selling out" while completely miss-understanding how games are funded). Sorry about that (hopefully my comment didn't come off as too vitriolic, I was writing in a way to mirror the tone I had read, believing that was how it was written.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#52  Edited By AndrewB

@crithon said:

I knew this was coming, because GBA was phased out since the DSi and Pokemon should be able to be caught in every single generation. BUT..... Was this too soon?

Ruby and Sapphire 2002 then Leaf Green and Fire Red 2004.

Diamond and Pearl 2006/2007 then Heart Gold and Soul Silver 2009/2010

now this is a time span of a YEAR. I felt they could either waited another year..... or is Nintendo desperate for money? (12 million world wide sales in less then a year) Or is Pokemon team so well handled they can churn these out annually?

The yearly rotation began with Black/White. If Nintendo needs money and they can make it off the Pokemon series, why not? They have the game engine, they have the general layout of the world - and story, if it is indeed just a remake. It wouldn't take long to develop.

Though the actual answer is probably yes - hence why I never really finished the last two games they put out. Too soon for more, and I might possibly be completely worn on the formula finally.

Edit: actually, the yearly cycle has been a near constant for much longer than that, going by US release dates (which basically lagged behind the Japanese releases by about 6 months each until recently).

Red/Blue - 1998, Yellow - 1999

Gold /Silver - 2000, Crystal - 2001

Ruby/Sapphire - 2003, Fire Red/Leaf Green - 2004, Emerald - 2005

Diamond/Pearl - 2007, Platinum - 2009, HeartGold/SoulSilver - 2010

Black/White - 2011, Black 2/White 2 - 2012

X/Y - 2013

And now OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire - 2014

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By crithon

@dixavd: That's okay, it's internet, we all type and read in all caps and terrible spelling. Actually I more question Nintendo might be pushing them, like I'm saying along to this guy.

@andrewb said:

@crithon said:

I knew this was coming, because GBA was phased out since the DSi and Pokemon should be able to be caught in every single generation. BUT..... Was this too soon?

Ruby and Sapphire 2002 then Leaf Green and Fire Red 2004.

Diamond and Pearl 2006/2007 then Heart Gold and Soul Silver 2009/2010

now this is a time span of a YEAR. I felt they could either waited another year..... or is Nintendo desperate for money? (12 million world wide sales in less then a year) Or is Pokemon team so well handled they can churn these out annually?

The yearly rotation began with Black/White. If Nintendo needs money and they can make it off the Pokemon series, why not? They have the game engine, they have the general layout of the world - and story, if it is indeed just a remake. It wouldn't take long to develop.

Though the actual answer is probably yes - hence why I never really finished the last two games they put out. Too soon for more, and I might possibly be completely worn on the formula finally.

Edit: actually, the yearly cycle has been a near constant for much longer than that, going by US release dates (which basically lagged behind the Japanese releases by about 6 months each until recently).

Red/Blue - 1998, Yellow - 1999

Gold /Silver - 2000, Crystal - 2001

Ruby/Sapphire - 2003, Fire Red/Leaf Green - 2004, Emerald - 2005

Diamond/Pearl - 2007, Platinum - 2009, HeartGold/SoulSilver - 2010

Black/White - 2011, Black 2/White 2 - 2012

X/Y - 2013

And now OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire - 2014

Yeah... well I did feel they could have waited a year more. Not exactly saying it's an annualized franchise, but this whole industry has been used to a 2 year cycle even for the most games not just shooters. And the last game sold well right beside GTA5.

I mean I am more afraid they might be having their fanbase burnt out, with a year, instead of maybe 2.... but already the word is positive about the announcement. Everyone has said this does't feel like a sequel but instead just a chance to collect more pokemon considering how the GBA is absent unless we go through that whole process again upgrading all the pokemon every portable system generation. Fire Red and Leaf Green had that plug in IR sensors, Ruby and Sapphire needed link cables.

meh, I'm not speculating this too much. I mean even other friends I talk to think it's cool, just to collect pokemon they can't find in the 3DS/DS games.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@crithon: Being one of those burned-out fans, I already agree. I've no idea what it is because I still have fun when there's something new (like the all-new lineup in X/Y) but the complex yet incoherent and childish stories combined with formula fatigue is turning me away not unlike the JRPG (broader category, same principle) did awhile ago.

Someone might say "duh, Pokemon is for kids and of course it's going to have a childish story," but that doesn't *need* to be true. There must be a large enough base of people who grew up with the series and the anime and might have renewed interest in a more adult story with a twist on the mechanics. But it's a subsidiary of Nintendo, and adult (let alone change) is something they don't do.

And knowing that, yeah, the next step would be to maybe not have such a rapid release cycle, but the number of people who aren't fatigued or are at least still willing to fork over the money regardless is shown in the sales numbers, and Nintendo needs as many cash cows as they can get.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Best fully evolved grass starter and Ninjask is boss but HG/SS scratched the nostalgia itch so good I don't feel like another retread. The original pair are also the only main games I never bought, just borrowed a friend's copy, so there's a tradition to uphold.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@andrewb: yeah, yeah I understand what you mean. Nintendo is an odd company, sometimes I wish they could have the Paper Mario team or animal crossing team writing EVERYTHING even Mario Kart. HAHA But yeah, I understand what you mean.