Pre-order Trinkets.

finmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Edited By finmon

With the second-hand game market eating in to their profits, game companies are adding more and more lovely trinkets/useless rubbish to their pre-order deals to appeal the magpie eyes and collecting instincts of cheapskate gamers.

To date, I have not shelled out for a pre-order-super-ultimate-collectors –bonus-happy-smile edition of a game, but the odd nick-nacks they wheel out are fascinating:  

Tempting
Tempting
Ace Attorney investigations: Miles Edgeworth

A shiny white teacup, clearly aimed for the  Spode or Wedgwood  cross-over market. I’ll admit, as an avid tea-drinker I was drawn to this one, and had it been available outside of Japan, they probably would have had me.  

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

'Peace Water' *Cringe*
'Peace Water' *Cringe*

Useless items with pun-tastic names. Who could resist the MGS jigsaw: ‘Love and Piece’, or the MGS aluminium water bottle: ‘Peace Water’.  

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1232458_1124.html     

Not too bad on a desk
Not too bad on a desk
Fallout 3

The bobble head looked kind of nifty, and this is the kind of novelty that could sit on your desk without it being immediately obvious you are some kind of sci-fi-gamer-dork.  Who they thought was ever going to use the metal lunchbox I have no idea.  

Heavy Rain

Bombcast listeners will all be aware that Heavy Rain features a must-have piece of unfolded white paper. You too can live out your origami killer fantasies! 

Quality Paper
Quality Paper

What interesting pre-order junk have you come across?      

finmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By finmon

With the second-hand game market eating in to their profits, game companies are adding more and more lovely trinkets/useless rubbish to their pre-order deals to appeal the magpie eyes and collecting instincts of cheapskate gamers.

To date, I have not shelled out for a pre-order-super-ultimate-collectors –bonus-happy-smile edition of a game, but the odd nick-nacks they wheel out are fascinating:  

Tempting
Tempting
Ace Attorney investigations: Miles Edgeworth

A shiny white teacup, clearly aimed for the  Spode or Wedgwood  cross-over market. I’ll admit, as an avid tea-drinker I was drawn to this one, and had it been available outside of Japan, they probably would have had me.  

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

'Peace Water' *Cringe*
'Peace Water' *Cringe*

Useless items with pun-tastic names. Who could resist the MGS jigsaw: ‘Love and Piece’, or the MGS aluminium water bottle: ‘Peace Water’.  

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1232458_1124.html     

Not too bad on a desk
Not too bad on a desk
Fallout 3

The bobble head looked kind of nifty, and this is the kind of novelty that could sit on your desk without it being immediately obvious you are some kind of sci-fi-gamer-dork.  Who they thought was ever going to use the metal lunchbox I have no idea.  

Heavy Rain

Bombcast listeners will all be aware that Heavy Rain features a must-have piece of unfolded white paper. You too can live out your origami killer fantasies! 

Quality Paper
Quality Paper

What interesting pre-order junk have you come across?      

Dafub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Dafub

I have the fallout bobble head pluse the big dady miniture
JohnRehill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By JohnRehill

Haha. I hardly pre order games, where I live they aren't in a high demand.

finmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By finmon

@Dafub:
Oooh Post an image of the big daddy miniature!   It would be cool if we could get a thread going full of pictures of random collectors edition junk!

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Crixaliz

I got a shirt by ordering Metroid Prime 2 Echoes
It was pretty uncomfortable and a rather ugly shade of green but it was free

Edit: I just remembered I pre-ordered Halo 2 from amazon, and they ran out of copies so they sent me the collectors edition for the same price!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By nintendoeats

Wait, it isn't a blank piece of paper with HEavy Rain. It has fold lines, blood and writing on it. It looks liek the origami on the cover.

Also, several places gave out a code for the first bit of DLC as a pre-order bonus, which I am happy to have (will be happier when this error is sorted out and they release the content).

I have the pre-order disc for Pokemon Colloseum, which was much more useful to me than the game itself (which I don't even own anymore). I don't have anything else AFAIK, but I have tons of game stuff, so its possible that some of it was originally pre-order junk.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By zeforgotten

I didn't pre-order Heavy Rain. 
Still got the DLC code thingy. (But I'm in Europe) 
And the paper in the box of Heavy Rain isn't a pre-order only "bonus" so tha shouldn't even be on the list o.O  
Haven't really gotten any pre-order bonus' since I just whip out the extra 5 bucks for the Limited, Collectors or Special editions (Whatever they wanna call them) 

Recently though, stuff I got with my games was a White Knight figurine, 
All the Bioshock 2 stuff that Giantbomb showed in the Bioshock 2 mailbag video thingy.  
And I'm getting (lousy looking, btw Square Enix!) figures and the Shiva bike with my purchase of the Limited Final Fantasy XIII thing (That I have pre-ordered though) 

finmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By finmon
@nintendoeats said:
" Wait, it isn't a blank piece of paper with HEavy Rain. It has fold lines, blood and writing on it. It looks liek the origami on the cover.  
@ZeForgotten said:
... And the paper in the box of Heavy Rain isn't a pre-order only "bonus" so tha shouldn't even be on the list o.O 

Fair enough, I didnt realize it was slightly more elaborate than a mere unadorned piece of paper. 
Regardless, its still junk they stuff in the box to convince you to buy it, so i think its fair to throw it in the list with the others.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By nintendoeats

Not really, they use it in the install screen. Being the historian that I am I didn't fold it (at home), but I know alot of people did, and think its the most awesome install screen ever.