Procrastinating just got a little bit easier

YoshiKart64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Edited By YoshiKart64

You could literally spend all day on Giantbomb just messing around.

I set up my account for two main reasons; to mess around with some of the quests when I'm bored, and to write a few reviews and see how that turned out. A mix of wanting to do nothing but do some constructive and ordered writing at the same time. An odd juxtaposition and yet one that this site allowed.

What I soon discovered was that the quests were far more diverse than I imagined, giving me rewards for nearly every action. Just like achievements it hints and prods you to check out new areas of the site, or take a look at those other wiki pages to try and solve that clue. On top of that there's trivia and lists (who doesn't love lists?) on offer in-case you burn out on the quests, each offering their own kind of 'game'. Then when your done with that there's a new video or review up.

Essentially Giantbomb translates the ethos behind a good videogame into it's site. Just when your about to leave something pops up giving you the 'just another 5 minutes' feeling, keeping you engaged. In theory it seems to derive from a simple concept; 'gamers enjoy interacting with their entertainment, let's build a site around that', but it's quite remarkable how alone Giantbomb is in doing this successfully. Other gaming websites have tried to appear more inclusive to their communities but none have managed to make the experience feel as engaging and, most importantly, fun.

Everything a user does on Giantbomb feels like it's a part of the site as a whole. There is no sectioned off area that feels disconnected from the larger body, making everything a user does feel relevant. You read the phrase 'by gamers, for gamers' a lot. Here I feel like that's actually been implemented in a way that actually means something.

YoshiKart64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By YoshiKart64

You could literally spend all day on Giantbomb just messing around.

I set up my account for two main reasons; to mess around with some of the quests when I'm bored, and to write a few reviews and see how that turned out. A mix of wanting to do nothing but do some constructive and ordered writing at the same time. An odd juxtaposition and yet one that this site allowed.

What I soon discovered was that the quests were far more diverse than I imagined, giving me rewards for nearly every action. Just like achievements it hints and prods you to check out new areas of the site, or take a look at those other wiki pages to try and solve that clue. On top of that there's trivia and lists (who doesn't love lists?) on offer in-case you burn out on the quests, each offering their own kind of 'game'. Then when your done with that there's a new video or review up.

Essentially Giantbomb translates the ethos behind a good videogame into it's site. Just when your about to leave something pops up giving you the 'just another 5 minutes' feeling, keeping you engaged. In theory it seems to derive from a simple concept; 'gamers enjoy interacting with their entertainment, let's build a site around that', but it's quite remarkable how alone Giantbomb is in doing this successfully. Other gaming websites have tried to appear more inclusive to their communities but none have managed to make the experience feel as engaging and, most importantly, fun.

Everything a user does on Giantbomb feels like it's a part of the site as a whole. There is no sectioned off area that feels disconnected from the larger body, making everything a user does feel relevant. You read the phrase 'by gamers, for gamers' a lot. Here I feel like that's actually been implemented in a way that actually means something.

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Crash_Happy

I'm not really into the Quests but I do dip in now and again. Generaly speaking they have got better and better and do make a great addition to the site.

I just wish I was better at filling in wiki stuff. All those games I played run into each other in my mind, but then it makes it all the better for me that others do recall like a bunch of crazed fanatics as I get to relive it all by looking up titles!

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By onarum

I don't care much for the quests, but not because of the site, I don't care at all about achievements in games either, but I do agree it's nice, I got the level I am now by pure accident.