Projector heaven - Benq w1060 (1080p) itsy bitsy tiny review

Chris_Ihao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Chris_Ihao

First off let me start by saying that playing Heavy Rain on this projector screen, coupled with DTS sound from my surround system, feels like I'm in a very very special place on earth reserved for lucky bastards. Secondly, I feel the same way about aaall the other PS3 and PC games when played on this screen. Phu, that was hard.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

PS: Some rainbowy color stuff seem to "bother" some people when they move their eyes from side to side but being color blind and all that I really cant see squat.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Can I come over?

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By imsh_pl

Can I cum over?

Chris_Ihao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Chris_Ihao

Sure cum over. Plenty of room.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Humanity

Do projectors suffer from input lag? I've recently purchased a SAMSUNG LED and I was kinda disappointed that unless you put it on Game Mode it has some pretty noticable input lag (something I've experienced for the first time ever)

w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By w00ties

I really notice the pixels on my projector which is pretty disappointing. Movies are fine, but when it comes to video games any text and sharp scenes suffer in terms of quality. Are higher end projectors significantly better or is that pretty much the major downside of owning any type of projector?

Nonetheless, it looks like you have an awesome setup.

Chris_Ihao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Chris_Ihao

@w00ties said:

I really notice the pixels on my projector which is pretty disappointing. Movies are fine, but when it comes to video games any text and sharp scenes suffer in terms of quality. Are higher end projectors significantly better or is that pretty much the major downside of owning any type of projector?

Nonetheless, it looks like you have an awesome setup.

Thanks man. Its a good setup. I dont know exactly what you mean about text and sharp scenes, but I think that the bottleneck is just as much the next gen consoles here, if that is what your playing. I connected my much more powerful stationary (4.4 GHz Sandybridge, GTX580, 16 gigs of ram) to the projector, got my wired 360 controller extended with a usb extension cable, fired up Rage at 1920x1080 and were pretty impressed with the result. While it cant compare to playing on a LCD monitor like my LG W2600HP (in terms of extremely good colors and brightness), I cant say that the projector suffers at all. Once you have watched a few blurays however you will see your dvd collection lose a bit of value as the difference will feel pronounced. The skin of people suddenly have pores and insects will be more than dots on the screen.

To be honest, when watching movies on my 40 inch TV I didn't really notice THAT much of a boost in quality etc, although existant, when watching blurays. Now I wish I could do one of those Itunes schemes and buy conversions of all the dvd movies I own at a fixed sum, but alas... Are you sure you have adjusted the focus ring and zoom properly, have a sufficiently dark room (this is important as everything will wash out a bit even due to a little "wrong type of light") and also have a proper surface and so on? I actually ordered a bluray for tuning colors etc. as the menus of the projector are quite complex. I have already adjusted the projector quite a bit during gamma option screens in games. I couldnt see anything until I adjusted the brightness up a bit and changed the gamma on the projector to compensate, and I dont really want to have to change the gamma in every game I own.

You dont mention what projector you own. Is it the same as mine? In that case, to sum up what I'm trying to say, I would say that the Benq is an excellent projector and that it plays games like the mentioned Heavy Rain, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (on a modded dual Xarcade stick) , UFC undisputed 2010, Red dead redemption and Killzone 2/3 beautifully; and would be even better if the next gen consoles offered the same level of antialiasing and various pixel effects as efficiently as a high end gaming pc these days do. Even so I already get a special feeling when seeing midget sized characters in Tekken 6 or virtua fighter 5 kick each others asses on the wall :)

Anyhow, I dont know if you consider buying an LCD projector you should be aware of the added possibility of lag, normal lcd synchronization issues etc, although they are generally sharper and have no rainbow effects (which I am not afflicted by but some people are when watching DLP projectors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Light_Processing). For me however its much more important at this point to have a projector that projects naturally smooth renderings than risking experiencing stutters during gameplay. Thats the biggest thrill killer imho.

Phu, this is fastly becoming a long post. Thanks again for the compliment mate. Btw, on the other, non displayed side of the room I have musical instruments, audio equipment and a stationary PC, so I can get even more room now by employing a screen which I can pull up whenever I want instead of reserving space for a TV. Cheers.

@Humanity said:

Do projectors suffer from input lag? I've recently purchased a SAMSUNG LED and I was kinda disappointed that unless you put it on Game Mode it has some pretty noticable input lag (something I've experienced for the first time ever)

I hope I pretty much confirmed that I dont experience an input lag when I play on my DLP projector. I had more issues with this on my Samsung TV in fact, but I was conflicted due to the smoothness that was achieved when activating image processing (which is turned off when "game" mode is on if I remember correctly).

muitosabao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By muitosabao

Hi

Just got the same projector as you! Loving it so far! CanI ask you which ceiling mount and screen you are using? I want to buy those too, so i'm considering possibilities.

Cheers and thanks in advance.