Purchasing Both Physical and Digital Copies on PS4 / XB1

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Hi, I was hoping someone in the community could answer a question that I have about the PS4 / XB1 regarding purchasing digital and physical copies of games.

Let's say I purchase a physical copy of Rayman Legends for the PS4 / XB1. Having installed the game on the console if I were to then purchase the digital copy of the game would I be able to play the game without the disc and without redownloading and installing the game?

I believe this is how it works on the XB1 but am unsure if it is the same on the PS4.

Thanks for the reply.

wallofbricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

That IS how it works on xbone for sure and I'm fairly certain it is the same for PS4. You can borrow a friend's disc to skip a long download on something you intend to digitally buy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@wallofbricks: Having looked at the PS4 FAQ it appears this isn't the case and you must delete the game and download the digital version separately.

Here's the part of the PS4 FAQ:

If I rent a game disc, and then decide I want to buy it digitally, can I use the mandatory install to avoid downloading it and just activate my license?

No, in this example you would have to delete the disc install data and fully install the digital version of the game.

My only question now is will a patch be released to make it the same as the XB1 or is irreversible and that it will remain like this?

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Jeez, that sure would be nice, if you could just download the license. I starting to fret how to mange PS4 hard drive space, with all the game that will come out this fall and holiday season. I prefer, digital versions over physical, because I like being able to job form game to game. I would of got bigger hard drive at launch, but largest 2.5 inch drive was only 1TB; now I think a 2TB drive is available, but ideally I would want to hold out for 3 or 4 TB drive, except those probably wouldn't be available any time soon.

This would all soo much easier, if Sony would just patch in external hard drive support for storing games, like the Xbox One does. In this area MS is soundly ahead of Sony.