Quake Arcade Live...anyone else disappointed?

DarkidRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By DarkidRising

First things first - I'm a huge fan of Quake 3... at least in memory. Played the feck out of the Dreamcast version of the game. Also played the PC version and can happily concede that it is superior - the weight, speed, inertia etc are all clearly built for mouse and keyboard controls. But then that is what happened 10 plus years ago, before Halo made FPS workable on consoles - developers would port their deathmatch masterpieces over with no re-engineering of the mechanics to suit the 'limitations' of the controller. And we (the players) knew no better. But things have changed since then and we console owners have a wide range of FPS games that are built from the ground up for console use.

I mention this as I have been very excited at the news of Quake Arcade Live and have download the demo. I hoped that the game had been configured for console use and am hugely disappointed that absolutely no concession has been made, other than a slight slowing down of the game's speed. This just makes the game feel like a lazy, cheap-ass port and not a legitimate attempt to re-invigorate Quake 3 for the online Xbox masses.

Also, there is (from what the demo shows) absolutely no stat-tracking or player profile page... yet again, Deathmatch shooters are ripe with various stats that are interesting to view and Quake Arcade's refusal to provide them further enforces the sense of this being a lazy port, especially when viewed alongside the PC version of Quake Live.

Sure, you could argue that this is 'just' an Arcade game and these demands are unfair,  but we're also talking about a port of a 10 plus year old game for a charge of 1200 MSP...

What do you guys think?

DarkidRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DarkidRising

First things first - I'm a huge fan of Quake 3... at least in memory. Played the feck out of the Dreamcast version of the game. Also played the PC version and can happily concede that it is superior - the weight, speed, inertia etc are all clearly built for mouse and keyboard controls. But then that is what happened 10 plus years ago, before Halo made FPS workable on consoles - developers would port their deathmatch masterpieces over with no re-engineering of the mechanics to suit the 'limitations' of the controller. And we (the players) knew no better. But things have changed since then and we console owners have a wide range of FPS games that are built from the ground up for console use.

I mention this as I have been very excited at the news of Quake Arcade Live and have download the demo. I hoped that the game had been configured for console use and am hugely disappointed that absolutely no concession has been made, other than a slight slowing down of the game's speed. This just makes the game feel like a lazy, cheap-ass port and not a legitimate attempt to re-invigorate Quake 3 for the online Xbox masses.

Also, there is (from what the demo shows) absolutely no stat-tracking or player profile page... yet again, Deathmatch shooters are ripe with various stats that are interesting to view and Quake Arcade's refusal to provide them further enforces the sense of this being a lazy port, especially when viewed alongside the PC version of Quake Live.

Sure, you could argue that this is 'just' an Arcade game and these demands are unfair,  but we're also talking about a port of a 10 plus year old game for a charge of 1200 MSP...

What do you guys think?

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mahonay

It does boggle my mind that it took this long to hit the Xbox Live Arcade, especially when they haven't done anything to take advantage of the platform.  1200 points is pretty god damn ridiculous.  I am disappoint Id.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

How could you not expect it to be a disappointment?  And yes 1200MS points is absolutely crazy for what it is.

I just think they shit the port out to help pay for the costs of running Quake Live for free.

DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DarkTravesty

you know what else is shitty. that x-men arcade port. i was so disappointed in that and quake :/

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Karl_Boss

I would only buy it if it was 400 points...wasn't that into Quake 3 Arena.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MysteriousBob
@DarkTravesty said:
" you know what else is shitty. that x-men arcade port. i was so disappointed in that and quake :/ "
I can't get on XBL right now. How much are they charging for it?
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#8  Edited By Sin4profit

Jeff said all you need to know about it in the bombcast. 
it felt like a dump port...not factoring in the way console controls differ from PC controls...you just can't play fast paced FPS on a console without some code dedicated to making it work right.
bare in mind, i only played the first training level in the demo and i knew i was done with it. 

I thought the Xmen port was lame as well. 

[edit] i totally just repeated what you said...i have a bad habit of responding to threads by way of the subject header alone and then reading the post afterwards.