Question about ethernet cables.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

So, I'm looking to replace some ethernet cables, and am wondering if they're all about the same or not as far as brand name and etc. goes. Do I need to get cat 6? Or is cat 5E more than enough for my ps4, Apple TV, and etc. I know that cat 6 is gigabit ethernet, but my ethernet switcher is only cat 5E compatible ( 10/100mbs)

Also, are the flat cable kind better or wise than the round cable kind, or does it matted? I bought a belking cat 5E that was flat ( think it was called a patch cable)

Does anyone have any input in this?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Here you go dude, 5ft ethernet cables on Monoprice for a dollar. Get five or ten of them and stick the rest in a drawer for a rainy day, and while you're at it order some cheap HDMI cables too! For the applications you're talking about you don't need anything special or shielded or anything like that.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@mb said:

Here you go dude, 5ft ethernet cables on Monoprice for a dollar. Get five or ten of them and stick the rest in a drawer for a rainy day, and while you're at it order some cheap HDMI cables too! For the applications you're talking about you don't need anything special or shielded or anything like that.

This

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@raven_sword: For the record, you can do gigabit over Cat 5; I think you only need Cat 6 for 10Gbps ethernet? But that might just depend on shielding or something.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A Cat 6 should work even if the switch only support up to 5E. It just means it can take more data than your switch can. A Cat 6 is a little bit more expensive, but if you're looking for one in standard length, don't sweat it. There's barely any difference in price. If you plan on buying a lot of long cables though, go with 5E.

Flat or round doesn't matter. Flat are usually easier to hide, but if you're looking for particular colors or lengths, you tend to have a more limited selection with flats.

The last thing to think about is shielded or unshielded. Shielded cables are stiffer and more common in server environments. I recommend unshielded for home use, since these cables are easier to bend and tuck away and you don't have to worry about shielding your cable at home. STP is shielded and UTP is unshielded.

So in conclusion, I would recommend Cat6 or Cat5E UTP. Flat or round doesn't matter. Your choice.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ravensword

@mb: damn! I completely forgot about mono price. I just got done spending 14 bucks on a cable at target, ha ha. Needless to say I returned that cable.

Are the mono price Ethernet cables good? Do they make cat 6 cables? I'm probably going to get cat 6 if there not too much more. also, is shipping going to be quite a bit more than the cables themselves?