Question of the Day - July 28, 2010

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By astrotriforce

What is your favorite survival horror/horror game?  

Mine would have to undoubtedly be Resident Evil Remake. I simply LOVE everything about that game and it is one of the games I have beaten more than any other. In my opinion it's a near-perfect survival horror experience. The only thing that could really be improved is the voice-acting, but it doesn't take away from the game as a whole much IMO. 

It's always hard to pick ONE, but that's mine. What's your's?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, what's the question again?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

wtf, did you forget to actually ask a question D:

Anyway, I think can guess what the question is; so, Braid.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By astrotriforce
@BeachThunder said:
" wtf, did you forget to actually ask a question D:

Anyway, I think can guess what the question is; so, Braid. "
WAHHHHH! what the hell?! lol. I don't know how that happened . . . o_O I added the actual question portion back. lol. So the question is, what is your favorite survival horror game!?
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder
@astrotriforce said:
" @BeachThunder said:

WAHHHHH! what the hell?! lol. I don't know how that happened . . . o_O I added the actual question portion back. lol. So the question is, what is your favorite survival horror game!? "
Braid is still my favourite survival horror game >_> 

I was assuming you were talking about favourite game. Ahem. Anyway, Penumbra: Black Plague
Stray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Stray

I'd say RE2 beats out Silent hill by a notch for me.

StupidGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By StupidGamer

Does Resident Evil 4 count, or is that considered action? If it counts, RE4 is my pick. If not, I'll say Resident Evil 2. REmake should have been done on RE2!

yorkefollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By yorkefollower

I would have to say my favorite (new) horror/survival game is deadspace,  the spine/suite menu is so simply innovative, the story is good enough to make you want to know what the hell is going on, chapter style gameplay, upgradeable weapons/armor and the way you upgrade them was pretty interesting too, pretty fun minigames, lots of variations for the monsters, pretty sweet boss battles, and for its time amazing graphics/sound.  I simply love deadspace plain and simple, hopefully the sequel stays true to the style and game mechanics as the first one.

andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By andrela

Is Limbo survival horror?

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By astrotriforce
@BeachThunder said:
" @astrotriforce said:
" @BeachThunder said:

WAHHHHH! what the hell?! lol. I don't know how that happened . . . o_O I added the actual question portion back. lol. So the question is, what is your favorite survival horror game!? "
Braid is still my favourite survival horror game >_> 

I was assuming you were talking about favourite game. Ahem. Anyway, Penumbra: Black Plague
"
Oh wow, I've never heard of those games. I don't play PC games though so that's not surprising (although I've now grown my PC collection to about 40 thanks to Steam and GOG. Though Ive yet to install a single one. >_<)

@StupidGamer:
Well, the reason I put "survival horror/horror" is to make it more broad. I'd say that yes RE4 and 5 count, cause even though they are more action focused, horror, like comedy, is in the eye of the beholder and some people DO find them to be scary. The horror theme is intact it just is made less scary due to the action nature of it and the fact that you can "easily" fight back. Whereas in the other Resident Evil games you struggled to survive based on limited resources: ammo, save points, health, etc. in addition to the enemy threats that lay beyond that next door or corner. That's my take anyway. 

@yorkefollower said:
" I would have to say my favorite (new) horror/survival game is deadspace,  the spine/suite menu is so simply innovative, the story is good enough to make you want to know what the hell is going on, chapter style gameplay, upgradeable weapons/armor and the way you upgrade them was pretty interesting too, pretty fun minigames, lots of variations for the monsters, pretty sweet boss battles, and for its time amazing graphics/sound.  I simply love deadspace plain and simple, hopefully the sequel stays true to the style and game mechanics as the first one. "

I want to play Dead Space SOOO bad. I haven't gotten around to it but I know I'd love it. Sounds so awesome. :D Funny fact, I don't like horror movies, but I love horror games. :) 

@Andrela:
Once again, horror is in the eye of the beholder and open to interpretation. I'd say that yes Limbo is a horror game due to it's solitary, creepy, isolationist, foreboding atmosphere and it's gore.
Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I have to go with Silent Hill 1/3 as a combo for my favorite survival horror game.  Seems weird, I know, but the way 3 builds off of everything you went through and discovered in Silent Hill 1 makes the story so damn personal that I can't help but be absolutely in love with every detail.

Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

Silent Hill all the way. That thing made me scared shtiless, and considering I was still 10 or something, even more so. Not trying to sound like a hard-ass, but no other game has ever made me scared/fritghtened, RE series is all annoying jump scares and barely any atmosphere.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Marcsman

Resident Evil 1 and 3.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#14  Edited By AgentJ

I honestly haven't played a whole lot of Survival Horror games. In fact, the last one that could probably be remotely considered survival horror was Shattered Memories, and before that... part of the first RE I guess. So instead, I'll just name the one I'm most excited to play: I've heard lots of great things about Haunting Ground, and am very excited to pop it in at some point. Also, SIlent Hill 2 and 3.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I have to go with Dead Space. The game has pretty good atmosphere and even though I was expecting stuff to jump out of vents and stuff , I didn't know when it was going to happen. I was also low on ammo several times and worried I would run out.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By astrotriforce
@Make_Me_Mad said:
" I have to go with Silent Hill 1/3 as a combo for my favorite survival horror game.  Seems weird, I know, but the way 3 builds off of everything you went through and discovered in Silent Hill 1 makes the story so damn personal that I can't help but be absolutely in love with every detail. "
DUUUDE you're making me cry here. :( I've owned Silent Hill 3 for a long time now but still haven't gotten around to playing it. I was stoked after discovering that my copy included the soundtrack. :D Which i didn't know it came with. However I never did play Silent Hill 1 either, just Silent Hill 2. So I need to still track down a copy of either the original PS1 version (which is rare) or Silent Hill Origins. But after you telling me that, now I can't wait! I do love Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil only edges it out because it is, IMHO, a much funner game to play. 

@JoyfullOFrockets said:
" Silent Hill all the way. That thing made me scared shtiless, and considering I was still 10 or something, even more so. Not trying to sound like a hard-ass, but no other game has ever made me scared/fritghtened, RE series is all annoying jump scares and barely any atmosphere. "

This is true but NOT true regarding Resident Evil Remake which is PURE atmosphere with a great soundtrack, insanely realistic visuals that make everything twice as scary, hard-as-heck gameplay especially for a first-timer, and great sound effects. And the environments are second to none. This game bleeds atmosphere, so if you haven't tried it I'd urge you too. I'd also say the same of Resident Evil Zero. Having said that, you are right that they do include "jump scares", but these games contain less than Resident Evil's 2 and 3. 

@InfiniteGeass said:
" I have to go with Dead Space. The game has pretty good atmosphere and even though I was expecting stuff to jump out of vents and stuff , I didn't know when it was going to happen. I was also low on ammo several times and worried I would run out. "

Very cool! I'm looking forward to playing through Dead Space one of these days! Maybe on my upcoming vacation soon. :D
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By ajamafalous

I'm not a fan of survival horror or horror games, so RE5 is the closest thing I've played to that.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
@astrotriforce said:
" @Make_Me_Mad said:
" I have to go with Silent Hill 1/3 as a combo for my favorite survival horror game.  Seems weird, I know, but the way 3 builds off of everything you went through and discovered in Silent Hill 1 makes the story so damn personal that I can't help but be absolutely in love with every detail. "
DUUUDE you're making me cry here. :( I've owned Silent Hill 3 for a long time now but still haven't gotten around to playing it. I was stoked after discovering that my copy included the soundtrack. :D Which i didn't know it came with. However I never did play Silent Hill 1 either, just Silent Hill 2. So I need to still track down a copy of either the original PS1 version (which is rare) or Silent Hill Origins. But after you telling me that, now I can't wait! I do love Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil only edges it out because it is, IMHO, a much funner game to play. 
I cannot recommend playing the original Silent Hill first enough, especially if you don't know the story behind it and SH3.  The first game does the best job of making you feel like the town is actively alive, and actively in the process of hating you.  And yeah, Resident Evil was decidedly more fun if only because you felt slightly less helpless, but I've never been good at ammo management so it always made me get angry and stop playing rather than put away my shotgun to carry some stupid key or weed killer or something.  At least until RE4, at which point I spent roughly three hours organizing my briefcase so that everything was in it's proper matching place, and no two ammunition types faced a different direction.  Best inventory ever.  They could have just made the entire game Leon packing luggage for the mission and I would have been just as happy with it.
Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Xtrememuffinman
Silent Hill 2. One of the best told stories ever, the perfect case of show don't tell.

But scariest? Definitely Silent Hill 3.  I kinda feel bad for the original Silent Hill though, it would have probably been the scariest had the graphics been better. I guess that's what happens when you only get "serious" about gaming during the PS2 era.
dunderri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dunderri

Considering that "horror" is open to interpretation... than I would say Fallout 3, it scares the shit out of me. The complete silence, the wind, the creatures, etc. Now, I probably am going to pick up Left for Dead 2, so that is going to take Fallout's place. I would NEVER EVER play Dead Space, Resident Evil, or Silent Hill. NOPE NEVER.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Silent Hill 2.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By astrotriforce
@dunderri said:
" Considering that "horror" is open to interpretation... than I would say Fallout 3, it scares the shit out of me. The complete silence, the wind, the creatures, etc. Now, I probably am going to pick up Left for Dead 2, so that is going to take Fallout's place. I would NEVER EVER play Dead Space, Resident Evil, or Silent Hill. NOPE NEVER. "
You're missing out dude, MISSING OUT! :P But sure man, Fallout 3 can be horror if it's horror to you. Certainly it can have elements of horror in it, and I think that can count.

@Xtrememuffinman said:
" Silent Hill 2. One of the best told stories ever, the perfect case of show don't tell.

But scariest? Definitely Silent Hill 3.  I kinda feel bad for the original Silent Hill though, it would have probably been the scariest had the graphics been better. I guess that's what happens when you only get "serious" about gaming during the PS2 era. "

Oooo, I like that line at the top! "the perfect case of show don't tell". I can't agree enough! Silent Hill 2 is by far the scariest game IMHO. Although like I said I've only played that installment. And I agree, I wish the original SH was made now. Btw, did you play Origins? And if so did it stack up well with the original? Which segweys nicely into....

@Make_Me_Mad said:
" @astrotriforce said:
" @Make_Me_Mad said:
I cannot recommend playing the original Silent Hill first enough, especially if you don't know the story behind it and SH3.  The first game does the best job of making you feel like the town is actively alive, and actively in the process of hating you.  And yeah, Resident Evil was decidedly more fun if only because you felt slightly less helpless, but I've never been good at ammo management so it always made me get angry and stop playing rather than put away my shotgun to carry some stupid key or weed killer or something.  At least until RE4, at which point I spent roughly three hours organizing my briefcase so that everything was in it's proper matching place, and no two ammunition types faced a different direction.  Best inventory ever.  They could have just made the entire game Leon packing luggage for the mission and I would have been just as happy with it. "

Dang dude, you really are making me want pick up the original Silent Hill before playing 3. I actually only played through 2 once and would like to give it another go-round. 

Actually, I think RE has a lot of great elements in it that make it more fun than just the ability to fight back. I personally loved the various fetch-quests and puzzles, even if they were a bit abstract or ridiculous. But even more than that I love the music and the atmosphere in all the games. Like the police station music in RE2 . . . GOD I love it. It just has a feeling that can't be replicated for me. lol. 

I personally don't question that kind of stuff that makes you dislike it (I'm not a nitpicker). So it never enters my mind to think "this is stupid" *puts colored jewel in lion eye* :P Oh I totally agree about RE4. The item management system was ingenious, if not a bit annoying at times. lol. THREE hours eh. This off topic, but there is a similar briefcase-arranging puzzle in Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box for DS. lol.
Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Xtrememuffinman
@astrotriforce said:
Oooo, I like that line at the top! "the perfect case of show don't tell". I can't agree enough! Silent Hill 2 is by far the scariest game IMHO. Although like I said I've only played that installment. And I agree, I wish the original SH was made now. Btw, did you play Origins? And if so did it stack up well with the original? Which segweys nicely into....

Thanks. You should definitely check out 1 and 3. Despite the graphics, the game still holds up really well and is genuinely freaky, I'd say as much so as SH2. But that's only because of technical limitations, unfortunately. Still, it's on the PS Store. Anyone who played it remember the courtyard music in the school, or the "glass shattering room" (no spoilers)? And SH3 is the scariest game I've ever played. Going back to 2 after three made is seem tame.

As far as Origins, it's good for what it is. If you can get it cheap, pick it up. It's not near the fright level of the original three, but it has its moments. The main problem is that it's short and frustrating. Literally one of the areas (i.e. the hospital or prison is an "area" in SH2) is about 1/2 to 3/4 of the entire game. It's a long area, but after that it's basically over. And the combat system is downright broken.
Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
@astrotriforce:
Don't feel that it's required to play SH1 before 3, by any means.  Playing 3 first can have as much impact as playing them in the original order, and there's something to be said for going into Silent Hill 3 blind, being as confused at the revelations as the main characters, puzzling out the information you're given along with the major players in the story.  They'll also give you a pretty good glimpse of the events that transpired in Silent Hill 1, that led to the town's diminished power and malevolence that led it to the state it was in during SH 2.
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By astrotriforce
@Make_Me_Mad said:
" @astrotriforce:Don't feel that it's required to play SH1 before 3, by any means.  Playing 3 first can have as much impact as playing them in the original order, and there's something to be said for going into Silent Hill 3 blind, being as confused at the revelations as the main characters, puzzling out the information you're given along with the major players in the story.  They'll also give you a pretty good glimpse of the events that transpired in Silent Hill 1, that led to the town's diminished power and malevolence that led it to the state it was in during SH 2. "
Oh wow, I think you just made the case for me not playing Silent Hill 1 first . . . . Awesome, I think I will try playing 3 then going back to one which should help piece things together. Actually scratch that, I think I'd rather play the one with worse graphics first . . . 

@Xtrememuffinman said:
" @astrotriforce said:

Thanks. You should definitely check out 1 and 3. Despite the graphics, the game still holds up really well and is genuinely freaky, I'd say as much so as SH2. But that's only because of technical limitations, unfortunately. Still, it's on the PS Store. Anyone who played it remember the courtyard music in the school, or the "glass shattering room" (no spoilers)? And SH3 is the scariest game I've ever played. Going back to 2 after three made is seem tame.  As far as Origins, it's good for what it is. If you can get it cheap, pick it up. It's not near the fright level of the original three, but it has its moments. The main problem is that it's short and frustrating. Literally one of the areas (i.e. the hospital or prison is an "area" in SH2) is about 1/2 to 3/4 of the entire game. It's a long area, but after that it's basically over. And the combat system is downright broken. "

Awesome man, can't wait to try both of them out! Also I didn't know it was on PSN, that's GREAT news! :D Noted about Origins. I definitely do want to pick it up at some point, but probably after I play the original.  Thanks guys!