Questions about Gbomb premium

batarangbamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Been listening to the podcast for about 1 1/2 years now but only started visiting the site these past two months. I wanna pay for a subscription just to watch the Metal Gear Scanlon series but I'm curious about the other premium content.

Just a few questions.

What other content is posted regularly?

What's the difference between the regular bombcast and the premium version?

Anyone have a method other than AirPlay to watch videos on a television?

I'm right on the fence just looking for a little push.

spitz1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By spitz1000

Unprofessional Friday is every friday. GBEast has a playdate feature that comes out weekly

Preminum podcasts dont have ads.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

I think there's a GB Plex channel? I think you can also watch videos through the PS4 (maybe XB1 as well?) browser? I'm putting question marks because I've never personally done any of these things myself, just heard people talk about them.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watch GB content on my TV through the Xbox One's internet browser. You may need to be premium to do so however since the browser only supports the HTML 5 versions of the videos, which I think require premium to view.

Gameraotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stream over my wireless network to a Chromecast plugged into my TV. Even easier with the Giant Bomb Video Buddy app so I can control videos from my phone/tablet. The only thing it can't control are live streams, but a Chrome browser window + a Chromecast has that handled.

chiefbott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

save your money the Premium stuff is worst stuff on site...plus i got sick of MGS scanlon after a few episodes

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

save your money the Premium stuff is worst stuff on site...plus i got sick of MGS scanlon after a few episodes

Totally disagree, a premium sub is worth it just for the old stuff even if you don't like their newer videos. The Phantasmagoria play through is probably my favorite thing on the site.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By onarum

@batarangbamz: I say it's worth it for the backlog alone, make sure to watch the random pc game series, best content ever created for the site imo.

You can go back and watch every single unprofessional Fridays and TNT's also you got your Flight Club's, Vinny playing dark souls, vinnyvania, I mean seriously... make sure to get an yearly sub because just a couple of months won't be enough for you to watch all this goodness.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Unprofessional Fridays is a regular show. Aside from that there is an absolutely massive catalogue of incredibly entertaining videos that will last you for weeks if not months.

The premium Bombcast doesn't have ads.

Don't know about AirPlay so I can't help you out with that.

Overall I would highly recommend it, I've been a subscriber for 3 years I think and have never looked back, I still have tons of content I can watch whenever I feel bored.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I use the Internet Explorer App on the Xbox One to watch Premium content. Works well enough. The player generally remembers my position from previous viewings.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

as of right now there's not a ton of subscriber only content. You do have the massive back catalog, like others have pointed out, but that's subjective. If you've been listening to the Bombcast for 1.5 years then I am sure you will love the back catalog. I personally have not liked any of Metal Gear Scanlon 5, but that's just because I think that game is terrible/not good for streaming and not because of Dan or Drew.

That being said I really hope subscriber content, especially from the West coast, picks up soon. I know they are still building out their studio but I feel like nothing has been going on for the last few months. Might just be an issue of my perception vs reality though.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Here's the thing for me personally: I know I personally listen to just about every podcast they put out eventually, dig a lot of UPF, like Jar Time, like the first few seasons of MGS, like VinnyVania, like Playdates, and so on. Even if quite a bit of what I watch or listen to is non-premium, over the course of the year I get so many hours of entertainment that I feel pretty comfortable with the value of my subscription. Yeah, I could just get the free stuff and I'd be enjoying myself but I know my sub goes towards helping the entire enterprise and I feel good about that. If you're a cash strapped individual I could see questioning the value.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By RonGalaxy

The only steady premium content we've had for awhile is unprofessional Fridays, gbeast playdate, and Metal Gear scanlon. Everything else (demo derby, vinnyvania, jar time, breaking Brad, etc) releases intermittently. Premium podcasts are all ad free. It doesn't sound like much, but its worth it to me.

I'd say subscribe for a month to dip your toes in and go from there. So if you dont like it, you only spent 5 bucks instead of 50.

Also, start listening to the beastcast if you haven't already. Its from the giant bomb east guys, and its as good or better than the bombcast (I prefer it).

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't think of anything I've gotten in the last two years that has brought me as much joy as my premium membership, I suppose my ps4 is close but given the price difference I think it's fair to exclude that.

Between the Mario Parties, Demo Derbies, UPFs, Vinnyvanias, GBE Playdates (Contradiction being one of my favorites) and other random things like unplugged, which unfortunately doesn't happen too often but some of the old ones like GB Unplugged: Pathfinder are classic IMO with some classic Vinny

All in all it's hard to say for certain if someone will like all of that content the way that I do but I definitely think that it's worth throwing 5 usd down to watch some of that back content and tune in to a few upf's to see if you find that content worth paying for. That's what I did and was sold on upgrading to the year, a week into my first month

Personally, I could probably justify paying the price for UPF alone so once you add all this content it becomes a no brainer for me

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Worth it just for Unprofessional Fridays

Wraithtek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#16  Edited By Wraithtek

I subscribed when they did the Sid Meier's SimGolf video and haven't looked back.

Others have mentioned some streaming to TV options. At the very least, I'm sure you can download videos and play to your TV (through consoles, media devices, or smart TV). Or save to a USB stick, if you have a poor network connection between them.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a forum post I think maybe @nightriff put together that has a ton of 'best of' gb videos

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

@travisrex: @batarangbamz: I did write a blog about what I think is the most important premium (and free) content the site has ever done. You can find it here

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By clagnaught

A Premium Membership gives you:

• Ad free content (No ads on the site, ad free podcasts, no ads in front of videos)
  • Weekly Premium shows Unprofessional Fridays, and the Giant Bomb East Playdate or VinnyVania
  • Premium podcasts, such as Danswers and Alt+F1 (these aren't weekly, but they build up over time)
  • And then a bunch of random, unexpected stuff.

In 2015 alone there were probably something like 200 "premium" pieces of content. A good portion of that are the weekly shows you will expect. But there is probably just as much stuff that the guys will record and release that you would not anticipate. Stuff like:

• Mario Party Party: The average seems to be 3 of these a year. The Gang probably couldn't handle more than that. In terms of when they come out, it always feels like it is out of left field. Like when the first episode popped up, I just thought "Wait, where did this come from?"
  • BioForge: This originally aired on Unprofessional Fridays. And then they decided to play through all of it.
  • Contradiction: As weird as it is to say, this started by accident. They did a Quick Look, but then kept playing it after the Quick Look "ended", and then decided to play through the entire game.
  • Life is Strange: Likewise, this was supposed to be a one off. But since they got into it and the site kept begging them to play it, they spun it out as part of the regular Playdate series.
  • Danswers, Film & 40s, Ryckert Christmas, etc.: There are plenty of podcasts, primarily lead by Dan, that are considered premium content. This ranges from Dan talking to his dad, to the life advice podcast he and Danny are doing, Danswers. But then sometimes Dan and Drew decide to watch a movie together or read through a book and have a book club style discussion. Why? Just 'cus.
  • There Will Be Bloodborne: Jeff doesn't like Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. And yet he randomly decided to play Bloodborne and there is a one off video of him playing the game, in addition to his segment on UPF.

So there is some consistent material, but maybe 50% of it is going to be unexpected or random. And a large part of it will come organically, because this is the content these guys want to do, and the results are almost always amazing. You get more personalized and unique content, that is often times the best content uploaded to the site.

In my opinion, it is well worth the $5 per month/$50 per year.