Rebooting a series in need. Which of the following or a suggested franchise would you choose and why?

Avatar image for hauntingthedark
hauntingthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Rebooting a series in need. Which of the following or a suggested franchise would you choose and why? (55 votes)

FINAL FANTASY 9%
METAL GEAR 7%
GEARS OF WAR 2%
HALO 7%
SONIC 7%
RESIDENT EVIL 16%
DONKEY KONG 2%
F-ZERO 7%
VIRTUA TENNIS 4%
TONY HAWKS 9%
CRAZY TAXI 7%
GUITAR HERO 4%
GRAND THEFT AUTO 4%
ELDER SCROLLS 5%
BIOSHOCK 4%
DOOM 4%
DUKE NUKEM 5%
007 4%
UNCHARTED 2%
CRASH BANDICIOOT 5%
SHENMUE 9%
WINDJAMMERS 29%
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 4%
CONKER 4%
PERFECT DARK 5%
FIRE PRO WRESTLING 5%
MANHUNT 5%

Answers can be multiple choice for the benefit of the overall vote. Thanks.

• 
Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah virtua tennis story defiantly went of the rails after 3 a reboot would really help that series.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What drugs are you on? Just curious.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of these aren't in need of a reboot?

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about it, I'd really like to see Metal Gear Solid remade. It's not that I'm not looking forward to the latest entry, it's just that every since I played Shadow Moses in 4, I've really wanted to have the entire game remade with those graphics.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The only thing on that list I could see getting a reboot is Manhunt.. maybe. My write in response is The Suffering, damn I loved that game.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

A lot of these really don't need reboots. They're perfectly healthy and viable as they are. And how would one go about rebooting Final Fantasy in the first place? Each new entry in the primary series is a new universe, story, and characters with a different style of play.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A lot of these I can see people wanting a new game for but of all of these nothing needs a cleanslate more than Final Fantasy. That series is being crushed to death under it's own baggage and a reboot would go a long way to checking before wrecking etc

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crazy Power Disc.

/poll

JayEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a lot of games

Dasacant2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Dasacant2

@hayt said:

A lot of these I can see people wanting a new game for but of all of these nothing needs a cleanslate more than Final Fantasy. That series is being crushed to death under it's own baggage and a reboot would go a long way to checking before wrecking etc

I have to ask what what Hailinel asked:

@hailinel said:

.... And how would one go about rebooting Final Fantasy in the first place? Each new entry in the primary series is a new universe, story, and characters with a different style of play.

I mean look at what ff15 is turning into its gameplay looks completely different from any previous main series ff game.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By awesomeusername

I don't understand why any of these need a reboot. Maybe Crazy Taxi (YES!) and Manhunt but not Uncharted, Final Fantasy, GTA, MGS, etc. Give me a Jet Moto and War of the Monsters reboot!

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Raven10

I feel like you have two very different sets of games here. On the one hand you have games with tons of entries that maybe need a fresh new direction, and on the other hand you have games that maybe only had one or two entries many years ago that just need to be continued. Like I don't think you could reboot Conker or Windjammers speaking there is only a single entry in both series and I don't think people would want some sort of gritty take on Windjammers or something. I also think a couple of those series like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy tend to reboot themselves pretty regularly. Every numbered Final Fantasy is its own unique beast. The series essentially reboots every entry. And Metal Gear keeps many features from game to game but each entry is also drastically different from the last in a lot of ways. So I guess my overall answer would probably either be none of these or maybe Gears of War or Uncharted.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

A couple of arguments against rebooting certain series:

Final Fantasy: They do it themselves with every separately numbered entry in the series. Now, if you are talking about getting the fuck away from the endless spinoffs and remakes, I'm with you.

Elder Scrolls: This series is all about its lore, rebooting it would erase or rewrite the vast majority of it. That is no good. All they need to do is set the games in different eras of that lore and there is no need to reboot. Also, just make the setting all of Tamriel already Bethesda!

Doom: Don't they just rehash and rewrite the origin over and over with each of the games?

GTA: Each game is only tenuously connected to the others, it is more a world setting and mechanics base than it is a story based series.

All the sports and non story based games (Guitar Hero): A reboot is about resetting events that happened so you can tell them a different way, since these games don't really have a over arching story, they do not need reboots. You can argue for remakes or new games, but not reboots for these series.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@hauntingthedark Aren't you suspended or banned or something? You have been spamming threads all day and even angrily ranted about a mod that warned you to maybe slow it down a bit.

Couldn't you at least take a few hours off before making another thread?

Melos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, here's my pitch: Imagine a 007 game where you slide from cover to cover, shooting people. Occasionally you, as James Bond, use a smart phone to engage in hacking mini-games that open doors to other places where you slide from cover to cover while shooting guys. If there's room in the budget, we can include a part in the game where you drive a car that has car guns. A point system is used to upgrade the smart phone, and those points can be purchased with real money.

Are you on board?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

ALL OF ZEM.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I only picked RE because that one actually has a consistent story to worry about. MGS is pretty crazy, but Kojima can sort that shit out himself. FF, GTA, and Sonic have the luxury of being able to start fresh with each new entry.