Recommend me a gaming keyboard

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
You were better to me then I expected, and for that I thank you.
You were better to me then I expected, and for that I thank you.

I've been using for the last 4 years the default Logitech keyboard that came with my computer. Its not great but its been serviceable, though its use has finally run dry and I need a new one. I figured I'll go all out this time and get a "gaming" keyboard. Does anybody have any good recommendation? I've consider that Razer Mass Effect 3 keyboard just because I really like Mass Effect but I have no idea if its actually good or worth the $140 price tag. I honestly find it hard to believe any keyboard is worth that much. Shower me with your expertise fellow PC gamers.

Side Note: Are gaming mousepads any good as well, or is any old mousepad fine?

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By xMP44x

For $140, it seems a little pricey. As far as I know it's just a themed version of an existing Razer keyboard, so you can get the standard model for less. I'd also suggest a mechanical keyboard, since they're typically much longer lasting and more durable. I'm not much of a gamer but I tend to write a lot, and I use the Das Keyboard Professional S. It's a high end mechanical keyboard with MX Cherry Blue Keyswitches, so it is quite loud. They do a version with MX Cherry Browns, christened the Silent model. This is definitely the best keyboard I have ever typed on though, and if all other mechanical boards handle in the same manner I can guarantee they're the way to go.

I'm not much of a PC gamer, but when I do game, I don't even use a mousepad. I just use the table surface and a generic optical mouse I got with my computer.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DystopiaX

Any old mousepad is fine, to what MP44 suggested and get a mechanical- either Das, Filco, or Leopold depending on which is cheapest where you are (check online)

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#4  Edited By Kidavenger

I have a razer hard mouse pad and I love it, it's sort of like this http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.219991900

I had to buy it when my mouse wouldn't work on my glass top desk(duh) and that kind of ticked me off as they are a bit expensive, but I can't imagine not having one now, the mouse glides so smooth.

I have an Microsoft x8 keyboard which I like a lot, but they don't make them anymore, I'll probably get a razer for my next one, but not a $140 one, that seems a bit much.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GeekDown

I'm really happy with my Steelseries 6gv2. It has Cherry MX Black switches, so it's fantastic to play games with but not quite as good to write on. I highly recommend it. Also you should invest in a gaming mousepad. It really makes a difference.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xMP44x

@DystopiaX said:

Any old mousepad is fine, to what MP44 suggested and get a mechanical- either Das, Filco, or Leopold depending on which is cheapest where you are (check online)

If you're looking something really unusual, you might like to go with a WASD though. You can specify everything, down to how keys are marked (does sir want laser etching, or other?), and the key color. I believe you also can choose where each key is located, but I've never tried a WASD. Speaking from experience with the Das alone, I'm in love. It's not a cheap option, but it's fantastic.

JamesJeux007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7  Edited By JamesJeux007

I'm a PC gamer myself, so I can help you on this. Personally, I think that the ME3 Razer keyboard looks horrible ! Look at those edges, it's gonna f* up your hands and wrists. Also, it is way overpriced. At $140, I would've expected at least some additional functionalities. You can have keyboards with more stuff in them for less. I have a Logitech G15 and I can tell you, it is great for PC gaming. Not only you have additional buttons on which you can put macros, but you also have a screen that is extremely useful (in games or not) and the keys are backlit, which is awesome. I had mine for €75 new, so the price shouldn't be a problem. Logitech has multiple keyboards so you should at least check them out.

Also, if you want a really good mousepad: SteelSeries is the way to go. I had mine for years and I can't recommend it enough. It is so comfortable.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
Like this?
Like this?
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By subject2change

I use generic keyboards, always have. Actually using an AVID MEdia Composer Video Editors keyboard on my computer now.

However for mouse pad, I've always been partial to the Steel Series QCK+ I love large mouse pads. When I played CS competitively low sensitivity on the mouse was standard.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@Video_Game_King: Can I play Diablo 3 on that?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

@JeanLuc:

Rule 34, I think.

Avatar image for deactivated-66361f5b4a584
deactivated-66361f5b4a584

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Dude I use a keyboard I got for 15 bucks, a mouse I got for 20 and a mousepad I have had for over 10 years, and I still kick ass. $140 keyboard just sounds like snake oil.

returnofjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By returnofjake

Cherry G80. Mechanical keyboard without the unnecessary extra buttons / flashy lights / price tag.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Akeldama

I really like my Razer Ultimate Black Widow

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By stonyman65

I like the saitwk Eclipse. Not necessarily a gaming keyboard, but it is backlit, and that is worth every cent.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DystopiaX

@xMP44x said:

@DystopiaX said:

If you're looking something really unusual, you might like to go with a WASD though. You can specify everything, down to how keys are marked (does sir want laser etching, or other?), and the key color. I believe you also can choose where each key is located, but I've never tried a WASD. Speaking from experience with the Das alone, I'm in love. It's not a cheap option, but it's fantastic.

This is an option as well, although personally I don't think the key etchings/colors are worth the extra price.