Red Dead Redemption or Super Mario Galaxy 2?

• 110 results
Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By Djeffers03

RDR

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#102  Edited By Meowayne
@mutha3 said:

" @ZanzibarBreeze said:

" Also, listening to the latest Weekend Confirmed episode, I've realized that Red Dead Redemption does a lot more for gaming in terms of story and maturity and those things than Super Mario Galaxy 2 does. "

No one really cares about story in a Mario game. No one wants it in the first place.
In fact, they tried to introduce some kind of "story" and narrative into the first Super Mario Galaxy, and next to the low difficulty it was arguably the weakest thing the game had going for it.
They fixed both issues in Super Mario Galaxy 2. Not only does it not have a story, it does away with even trying to make any sense COMPLETELY. New Super Mario Bros. Wii has more "story" than SMG2. A 100ft Bowser kidnaps the princess and you have to fuel your starship with power stars to go after him. That's it.

"And then I was like: 'you shall not pass', and he was like..."
And you know what? Like all reviewers rightly pointed out, that fact is awesome. Just like I don't want some awkward explanation or narrative to my minesweeper, I don't want Mario to do anything else but plough through awesome level after awesome level without any side dish, thankyouverymuch.  I do not want to be wowed by characters, plot or revalations: I want all of their ressources spend in delivering me something amazing, new, original and fun to do every 10 minutes. And they delivered it. Delivered it in a 10/10 sort of way.

It is not like they have to prove anything to us. The Paper Mario / Mario RPG scripts are one of the best in the industry.

When we, finally, at some point arrive in an age where video game storytelling is prominently used in a grown-up, interactive, original way; when there are not only Michael Bays of video game storytelling but also Christopher Nolans and Ridley Scotts, THEN we could MAYBE try and think about a way to outfit a Mario Platforming game with some sort of interactive, video game narrative - but until then, keep it where it belongs: In the 10% awesome video game stories that appear once every 5 years, and the 90% explosion games. 

That there are people who, with a straight face, claim that a game like Super Mario Galaxy can never be rated equally to or even better than games that feature a movie-imitating chronological narrative, it completely blows my mind. Just... blows my mind completely. 
Nibbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By Nibbz

ok I bought both. I played both. I love both. But Super Mario Galaxy 2 for me. It's more streamlined than the first, the map system makes the game seem less all over the place like it did with the World Hub in Galaxy 1. Overall Mario Galaxy 2 is just an amazingly fun platforming experience.

Red Dead is a lot of fun in it's own right though. Yes it is mostly GTA IV in the Wild West, but there are a lot of new features that work fantastically. I love the bounty wanted level system, makes your crimes stay with you unlike in GTA. Also its just a lot of fun exploring and doing all the mini games. You can get lost playing poker for hours. Also it has a mature cinematic storyline that is sure to please many.

Both are GREAT games. But it really just depends on what you enjoy more. An open world GTA like Western Shooter with a very deep story and many side distractions or a classic platformer with countless levels to explore. As for me, I put Red Dead in, played for an hour, turned it off. Put it in later played for a couple hours and had a good time. First pop in for Galaxy 2? Played for 2 hours and loved every minute of it. It hooked me. So I hope my post helps those who still can't decide.

Really though if you can afford it, get both. Try to take advantage of Gamestops trade in offer. If you trade in 2 select games you get 40 bucks off either Galaxy 2 or Red Dead. That's what I did to get Galaxy. Got rid of Left 4 Dead 2 and Final Fantasy 13 (god FF13 is boring)

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#104  Edited By Meowayne

^ Best post yet.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By ryanwho
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" Also, listening to the latest Weekend Confirmed episode, I've realized that Red Dead Redemption does a lot more for gaming in terms of story and maturity and those things than Super Mario Galaxy 2 does. "
Super. Not relevant to the fun factor even a little. SMG2 all the way.
ChemEngPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By ChemEngPaul

Well which re-skin's predecessor did you enjoy more? The game you should play should be the re-skin of that game.

Nibbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Nibbz
@ChemEngPaul said:

" Well which re-skin's predecessor did you enjoy more? Whatever you answer with is the re-skin that you should play. "

haha when you say it like that my choice would be Red Dead Redemption. But really that's because I only recently got a Wii and a bunch of games with it so Galaxy saw less playtime than it should've gotten. Plus GTA is one of my favorite video game franchise behind Call of Duty.

@Meowayne said:

" ^ Best post yet. "

thank you sir
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#108  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@mutha3 said:

" @ZanzibarBreeze said:

No one really cares about story in a Mario game. No one wants it in the first place. What we want out of Mario is responsive controls, beautiful art-direction,awesome music and  brilliant level design. Seems to me like SMG2 delivers(based on reviews,trailers and impressions at least.) As for ''increasing maturity'' I feel comfortable enough with myself that I don't need to validate my hobbies to people who kind of don't care. "
To be fair, I actually should have clarified what I meant. The original post was written very poorly. I meant that Red Dead Redemption does more to advance gaming holistically than Super Mario Galaxy 2 does - I don't even think of story when it comes to Mario games; I didn't intend the post to read like that - totally my fault. I meant that RDR does more for gaming than SMG2 does. Those that make RDR better? Of course not - games that don't do anything for gaming can still be fun and awesome games. It was just an observation that I was parroting from the podcast.

Also, in terms of maturity, it's not about looking for validation: I just want a video game that actually has a good story once and for all, a game that features real believable people that say real things. Uncharted 2 got there for me, Red Dead Redemption comes super close. I want a video game where the acting is as good as Kiefer Sutherland breaking down and crying in the 24 series. If there is one thing that man is absolutely astonishing at, it's pretending to cry. When gaming can reach that level you can start to tell legitimately good stories, providing you bring in actual writers to write them. It's not about validation; it's just wanting games to be good.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By masternater27

Currently playing both, you'll be more than happy either way

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Valames

The only reason so many RDR haters are answering is because the people head over heels in love with RDR are too busy playing it to answer your post. Luckily for you I have homework to do and am not playing it right now. So, I am here to tell you RDR is the right answer. You're welcome!