Rehashing Appeals to the "Hardcore" fanbase?

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By Toxin066

I'm not especially gifted when it comes to writing. I just wanted to to jot down a quick thought. I'll probably change my mind on the issue in about an hour.

I was picking up a few magazines, grabbing a little light reading material for my flight back home (was visiting friends in MA - unimportant to this rambling of the mind). Among the chosen was last month's issue of GameInformer. Ya know, the one with Rage as the cover story?  I got to reading through it and noticed the article on Super Mario Galaxy 2 came to an interesting conclusion. The author finishes by saying "Suffice to say, this is a welcome surprise from Nintendo, which seems to be going out of its way to make amends to the hardcore fans who felt slighted by last year's E3 show."

This got me thinking about the "hardcore" titles that Nintendo announced at their press conference this year. Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros Wii in particular. After watching videos of those games in action, I felt like I had played them already. They don't look like a sequel or new game. To me, they barely come off as an expansion pack.

I don't think I finished Twilight Princess for almost the same reason - after a while, I realized I was playing the Ocarina of Time on the wii.  

I just find it sort of funny that Nintendo chooses to pull from what appears to be a pool of the same two games, Miyamoto's darling children, Mario and Zelda in order to please the "hardcore" players.

I don't mean to pick on Nintendo. I'm just using them as an example. I'm sure we could all find dozens of examples from Microsoft and Sony and everyone else. I'm also not anti-sequel. I'm just saying that  the old maxim, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" has it's limits.  

Psyched for: No More Heroes 2 and Golden Sun DS.  I wish these two got more media attention. I think they're worthy of being associated with the "hardcore" crowd as well.

Just to get this out of the way - I play on: x360, ps3, and wii (rarely but..."I have a wii")

Would a "thanks for reading" be appropriate here?

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Toxin066

I'm not especially gifted when it comes to writing. I just wanted to to jot down a quick thought. I'll probably change my mind on the issue in about an hour.

I was picking up a few magazines, grabbing a little light reading material for my flight back home (was visiting friends in MA - unimportant to this rambling of the mind). Among the chosen was last month's issue of GameInformer. Ya know, the one with Rage as the cover story?  I got to reading through it and noticed the article on Super Mario Galaxy 2 came to an interesting conclusion. The author finishes by saying "Suffice to say, this is a welcome surprise from Nintendo, which seems to be going out of its way to make amends to the hardcore fans who felt slighted by last year's E3 show."

This got me thinking about the "hardcore" titles that Nintendo announced at their press conference this year. Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros Wii in particular. After watching videos of those games in action, I felt like I had played them already. They don't look like a sequel or new game. To me, they barely come off as an expansion pack.

I don't think I finished Twilight Princess for almost the same reason - after a while, I realized I was playing the Ocarina of Time on the wii.  

I just find it sort of funny that Nintendo chooses to pull from what appears to be a pool of the same two games, Miyamoto's darling children, Mario and Zelda in order to please the "hardcore" players.

I don't mean to pick on Nintendo. I'm just using them as an example. I'm sure we could all find dozens of examples from Microsoft and Sony and everyone else. I'm also not anti-sequel. I'm just saying that  the old maxim, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" has it's limits.  

Psyched for: No More Heroes 2 and Golden Sun DS.  I wish these two got more media attention. I think they're worthy of being associated with the "hardcore" crowd as well.

Just to get this out of the way - I play on: x360, ps3, and wii (rarely but..."I have a wii")

Would a "thanks for reading" be appropriate here?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

I'm a casual.

I don't have time to play games all the time. I'm grown up now, that carries responsibilities.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By jonnyboy

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Nintendo's Marketing Department, Easiest job in the world.
 Example
-"Hey wanna buy a (insert Nintendo console here)?" 
-"No thanks"
-"It's got Mario and Zelda on it"
-"ok sure"

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By EdIsCool

Wont work next gen.10 year olds dont give a toss about Zelda or Mario.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Sabata
@Toxin066 said:
" This got me thinking about the "hardcore" titles that Nintendo announced at their press conference this year. Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros Wii in particular. After watching videos of those games in action, I felt like I had played them already. They don't look like a sequel or new game. To me, they barely come off as an expansion pack. "
You must be new to Nintendo because rereleasing old games is pretty much all they do.