#6901 Posted by pot (68 posts) -

RIP Ryan, you were always the guy who could make me laugh! =(

#6902 Edited by daanbro (14 posts) -

Thank you for doing this Tribute podcast.

And thank you Ryan, for just being you and doing what you enjoy and share this with us for so many years. I'm gonna miss you.

#6903 Posted by Chewii101 (820 posts) -

I saw the announcement during a morning lecture and just started choking up. How can those that never knew Ryan and followed gamespot/giantbomb understand the gaming community's anguish?

I've been trying to articulate what Ryan was, is and always will be to this community for a while and finally came to the conclusion words cannot do justice. Like many of this generation I followed gamestop and Ryan for a good decade. The Ron Graphite sketch, E3 Schwag giveaway and Sonic rant are the three Ryan moments that I always remember and stupidly grin. Every single one of us has a Ryan moment that just clicks with them. Ryan and the rest of the Giantbomb crew made us feel as if we were their closest pals, this is what makes them so special.

The Giantbomb crew have do deal with something so painful; I can't even begin to imagine what his wife must be feeling. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Davis family.

I look forward to the latest bombcast with bitter-sweetness. Farewell Ryan, you were an inspiration, guide and friend to us all

"For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity"

#6904 Edited by Crembaw (307 posts) -

There's a long-empty prescription bottle on my desk, turned on its side. When I finished listening to the podcast I glanced down at it and thought the bottom said, 'HOPE.'

It doesn't say that.

I've been in a bad place in my life for the past year. I had a huge spiral back into my chronic depression, which eventually got to the point that I had to leave college and move back home. It might not be the healthiest thing, but throughout this whole period video games and Giant Bomb have helped me get out of bed and dress myself each morning. I listen to the Bombcast in the car, on walks, wherever. I had for years been a fan but had never gone so far as to actually sign up or buy a subscription until this funk. It's almost become an institution in my life. I'd like to say it's been for the better. Ryan, Jeff et al. made/make me smile, almost forcibly with every minute of podcast material, every second of Quick Look, every some part of so often. I really love watching, listening, reading everything on this site.

It's really hard to contemplate Ryan being gone. Every time I think about it, it just seems impossible. The Crew showed incredible strength during the Podcast -- a lot of people I know wouldn't be able to make it through something like that without bawling -- and I can't even begin to imagine the pain his wife and family are going through. Still it is hard to wrap my own head around a Voice that I had grown so accustomed to hearing just not being there anymore. We'll all always have the memories of him, and for as long as the site stays up we'll have his skillful, if not straight out masterful, wit and ability to direct the movement of a video or podcast. But whenever I see a new Quick Look or Unpro Friday, he won't be there.

I still love the site. I'm not going to stop visiting because he's gone. The foundation, the core, the people he and Jeff brought together still exists and still entertains in a way that just keeps me going. But for a long time it just won't seem right that he's not here with everyone else. I can't really articulate why he was so captivating, at least not in any way that hasn't already been well-said either here or on the Bombcast, but he so often could also flip around how I saw something without even being cognizant that he was doing that. I have a new-found appreciation for rap music because of Ryan. That's just an example, and it might seem trifling, and maybe it is, but fuck I'm just typing anything now. It doesn't feel right that he's gone. I don't know if it will personally for a long time.

I went into this wanting to make a dumb joke about my med bottle, but now I'm just typing. I want to express my small part of affection for the man with the booming laugh, the face that could start a million giggles and a billion strangely satisfying nightmares, the attitude that could take someone burning a picture of him on camera in strides. I LOOK UP to Ryan Davis. I see a man who did what he wanted and still loved the people around him, who brought everyone near him closer together. I wish I could have shaken his hand. They say everybody has a dream that they will never own. I grew to accept I would never be an astronaut. I never thought I would have to accept that I'll never shake Ryan Davis' hand and tell him 'Thank you for being You.'

Consciously I know that this won't be read by anyone. Consciously I know nothing I could say could help the Duders or Mrs. Davis through this time. But I just feel like I'm going to explode if I don't type this crap out. I want to add my condolences and my sheer thanks to Ryan Davis to this unbelievable outpouring. It really gives me warm fuzzies to see everyone, everywhere, getting together to remember a real entertainer, a true go-getter, and an absolute standup guy. It gives me HDPE. Hope that joke was dumb enough. Rest in Peace, Duder.

#6905 Edited by Ramone (2954 posts) -

I woke up this morning thinking it was a dream. I think it's finally hit me that he's gone.

#6906 Posted by Mehheho (1 posts) -

He was one of the funniest people I have ever listened to. There are fare too many moments that I have laughed out loudly while catching the bus from things he had said which put such a big smile on my face and the rest of the day.

RIP Ryan, and my condolences to the Giant Bomb crew and his wife.

#6907 Posted by ManlyBeast (1134 posts) -

@crembaw: I read it all and thought it was nice.

#6908 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (615 posts) -

Rest in peace, Ryan Davis. You really made life brighter for so many people across the world. Thank you so much for all you did.

The least I could do is make something super dumb to honor you...

perfect

#6909 Posted by allgrinzz (161 posts) -

@crembaw: Read and echoing my sentiments. You put into so many words what I couldn't. I find an odd feeling that I want to meet the rest of the crew sometime, just to chat and chill, because this chance that I missed with Ryan is just crushing.

I'm sure that sounds a bit off, or maybe a touch creepy, and that really my chance of meeting the crew across the country from me is rather hopeless, and that they are celeb material and I'm another duder out of hundreds of thousands, but maybe.. Never know.

#6910 Posted by Aarny91 (3912 posts) -

This is a problem for me too. Every time I think on it I'm like, "It can't be him." It's so damn surreal. Like most of you guys I never knew him, but I'm taking this harder than a lot of real life deaths I've had to face. This is a bummer.

@crembaw said:

It's really hard to contemplate Ryan being gone. Every time I think about it, it just seems impossible.

#6911 Posted by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

@crembaw: Thanks for sharing your thoughts on all of this, crembaw. Together, all of us who love Giant Bomb and the guys who keep it going will push through this awful time of grief and find a way forward. I am so thankful for all he did, and I can only hope to ever bring so much joy to others in my own life.

#6912 Edited by Roland1979 (20 posts) -

I am not religious but i find this bible quote comforting; the dead are free of suffering.

Revelation 7:16

"They shall hunger no more, neither thirst anymore; the sun shall not strike them, nor any scorching heat"

#6913 Posted by hidden81 (49 posts) -

At a certain point in my early twenties I made the decision to jettison the group of friends that I had built since childhood due to a drug problem within the group. The honest way that Ryan Davis, Jeff and the rest carried themselves whilst delivering coverage or generating content made me feel less friendless. I'm sorry he had to go so soon.

#6914 Edited by er910 (2 posts) -

I will miss him. Keep strong and play on guys.

#6915 Posted by Vanick (312 posts) -

My sentiments echo pretty much everything already posted. I've been following the guys since the Gamespot days and feels like I lost one of my friends. My feelings are nothing compared to what his friends and family must be feeling. I just wanted to share my deepest condolences with them. Ryan, you'll be missed.

#6916 Edited by Zanny (58 posts) -

Rest in peace Ryan Davis. You certainly will be missed. :(

#6917 Posted by Liquidsolidus (65 posts) -

I pick up the mic, now it's time to lay this

Rhyme on the floor like I'm super famous.

I never even thought that I would have to say this, but I'ma try and say this -

My heart's out to you, Mr. Ryan Davis.

#6918 Posted by JamesValdes (78 posts) -

Thank you for everything that you've done and for being an extraordinary person. It'll never be the same without you, you magnificent bastard. Goodbye Ryan Davis goodbye friend. <>

#6919 Edited by sadistic_greyfox (1 posts) -

Never signed up to the site until today but the podcast has been apart of my life for a year. At work, 8-12 hours I would listen to as much as I could, sometimes listen to 1 ep twice a day. In a weird way they became more of friends to me as I started drifting away from my own because of responsibilities. When I checked in today i just couldn't believe it. I felt sick as soon as i read it, i never met the guy but i was reacting in a way as if someone close to me had passed, my eyes would tear up as i listened to the old podcast throughout my shift. I've been paying attention to his work ever since I was a teen and he always seemed to very jovial, words really cant describe it but he always came across as genuine.

Sorry if it's rambling but just thought it should be known, even the silent listeners out there are heartbroken by this news. I will definitely miss hearing and seeing your work.RIP man and I hope youknow how much we loved you in our own ways.

#6920 Posted by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

For you, my friend.

#6921 Edited by Cheesebob (1230 posts) -

After the podcast...poor Patrick!! D: Ryan AND his dad!

#6922 Edited by Buttmonk3y (124 posts) -

Still feels like some elaborate hoax.

#6923 Posted by gunslingerNZ (1899 posts) -

I still can't quite wrap my mind around it, he brought so much joy to this community, his friends and his family and it's so tragic to think it's gone.

Ryan, you really were a larger than life character and a mad paradox, at times I thought I despised you but through it all I truly knew you were an exceptional human.

My love to all his friends, family, coworkers and to this community because we've all lost a good friend. It hurts more than I ever would have imagined.

Requiescat in pace Ryan Davis, Uh Uh Uh Uh.

#6924 Posted by Obsidiangrvmind (5 posts) -

Rest in peace Mr. Ryan Davis. I will never forget you or your distinctive laugh and humor. Your shoes are impossible to fill and you will undoubtedly be missed by all who knew you. Farewell, wherever you are good sir.

#6925 Posted by zemorg (30 posts) -

Every night I fall to sleep with several downloaded videos from you guys playing in the background (kinda weird I know), but I love you guys! Ryan will be missed so much. RIP big guy.

#6926 Posted by Spwn (167 posts) -

RIP Ryan. You guys did good with the podcast. The man should be remembered with laughter.

#6927 Posted by Ice_Cold_Rayman (216 posts) -

This news hits hard; Ryan (and the rest of the guys here) have had a huge influence on my gaming career and life for 10 years now from Gamespot to here. I'll be pouring one out for Ryan tonight.

#6928 Posted by Dorzilla (6 posts) -

Rest in peace Ryan. Thank you for all the Bombcasts.

#6929 Posted by BonzoPongo (111 posts) -

Thanks Ryan

#6930 Posted by semyeotic (11 posts) -

Over a decade. Two to three hours a week. I never met Ryan Davis, but I knew and loved Ryan Davis.

I am so ruined.

Rest in Peace, duder.

#6931 Posted by FrogDawg (1 posts) -

Thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

#6932 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1504 posts) -

One of my favorite things Ryan said that made me laugh was "I love that my shoes say baller time on them. Not because other people can see it, but because I know it's there." Thanks, Ryan :'(

#6933 Posted by tomgun (5 posts) -

Great bombcast fella's, feel for you all. He was a legend. RIP Ryan

#6934 Posted by rmills87 (463 posts) -

I'll never forget the podcast when all the guys tried the free Swedish candy they were sent by developers and almost immediately after putting the candy in his mouth, Ryan cried, "SWEDISH ASSHOLES!!!" That was my Ryan moment. I had the great opportunity to exchange a couple emails with him regarding our birthdays (mine being the day before him) and wish each other many more happy years. Unfortunately, he didn't get those many years. As many more have said on this comment thread, it is amazing how choked up I got over someone whom I never knew personally. I don't know whether to be jealous of the GiantBomb crew for having known Ryan, or be the utmost relieved that my hurt is NOWHERE near what they are feeling right now.

Rest in peace, Ryan. I am sure that just because you are no longer here in the physical world, that won't mean a damn thing to those who knew and loved you.

~~Another Ryan

#6935 Edited by Xshinobi (370 posts) -

My deepest condolences to the family and to the GB crew. Even though I didn't know Ryan personally, it still felt like he was a part of my life as I have been following you guys from when I was in high school. RIP Ryan you were one of the greats.

#6936 Posted by Griff75 (1 posts) -

Ryan R.I.P. My condolences to Ryan's wife, his family the rest of Giant Bomb and all those who knew him. I live in the UK, never met the guy, but feel so sad hearing this news. A genuine, funny, and heart warming person who would always make me smile. What a loss at such a young age. My thoughts are with his wife and family in particular. A very sad day.

#6937 Posted by Tupacalypse (131 posts) -

We love you and miss you Ryan. You've done amazing things and though we never met, I know you were an incredible guy. It was just the other day I was watching the clips of you and the guys on youtube. Always cracked me up and made me smile. Can't imagine how things are going to be without you. To the whole GB crew, we've got your back. Stay strong everyone!

#6938 Posted by mattysen (822 posts) -

Ah shit...

#6939 Edited by BeardSurgeon (10 posts) -

I still can't believe that Ryan actually passed away. It's so sudden and so tragic, especially following his wedding, that it's been very difficult to process and comprehend. While I only knew him through his work here on this website and what was discussed about him during this week's podcast, I can say without hesitation that the world, for myself and undoubtedly for many, many people who either knew him in real life or on the internet, will be all the lesser for his absence. As corny as this all might sound, there aren't many people who could boast the same. Ryan was simply being himself, and in doing so had an impact on many lives.

He will be missed dearly.

Props to the Giant Bomb crew for soldiering on through this difficult period. And for EnemyNanner--I'm so, so sorry. I can't imagine what you must be going through.

#6940 Posted by Tupacalypse (131 posts) -

Never signed up to the site until today but the podcast has been apart of my life for a year. At work, 8-12 hours I would listen to as much as I could, sometimes listen to 1 ep twice a day. In a weird way they became more of friends to me as I started drifting away from my own because of responsibilities. When I checked in today i just couldn't believe it. I felt sick as soon as i read it, i never met the guy but i was reacting in a way as if someone close to me had passed, my eyes would tear up as i listened to the old podcast throughout my shift. I've been paying attention to his work ever since I was a teen and he always seemed to very jovial, words really cant describe it but he always came across as genuine.

Sorry if it's rambling but just thought it should be known, even the silent listeners out there are heartbroken by this news. I will definitely miss hearing and seeing your work.RIP man and I hope youknow how much we loved you in our own ways.

Same here, It's odd how even though we never met, listening to that podcast and the rest of the site daily made me feel so close to him. Beautifully said. I'm in tears right now but its awesome we've got the best damn community to have our backs through this tragedy.

#6941 Posted by metalarms (3 posts) -

I will always remember Ryan talking about the Metal Gear Solid series in the game of the year podcast, and how as soon as somebody opens their mouth in the game "EVERY THING THAT COMES OUT IS HORSE SHIT." The dude was always on the money and had an amazing term of phrase. Gonna miss that guy.

#6942 Edited by PimblyCharles (1287 posts) -

@sadistic_greyfox said:

Same here, It's odd how even though we never met, listening to that podcast and the rest of the site daily made me feel so close to him. Beautifully said. I'm in tears right now but its awesome we've got the best damn community to have our backs through this tragedy.

This community does amaze me at times. You really don't find this on other gaming sites. It's often like we're all one big family. This is likely why it feels we've lost a family member.

#6943 Posted by NaeemTHM (5 posts) -

For the last 5 years Ryan Davis has been a bright spot in my weekly routine. Every Wednesday morning I awoke with a smile on my face because I could not WAIT to hear "Hey everybody is TUUUUUUESDAY!"

It's so fucking weird to feel this way about someone I never met, but it honestly makes me depressed that I'll never hear those words again. Most of all though I think I'm going to miss the way Ryan commanded a group of people. It didn't matter who or how many guest were on the podcast, Ryan always kept the conversation flowing smoothly. It takes real skill to do that and I feel really bad for the dude that has to fill those shoes.

Mr. Davis, thank you very much for the laughs, for making my Wednesday morning's enjoyable, and for bringing together so many people in the gaming industry. Without you I would have remained oblivious about a lot of the great folks that make the games we love.

Rest in peace big guy.

#6944 Posted by Zaghnol (8 posts) -

I'm feeling so sad right now. It's right there, bubbling under the surface. I've enjoyed what Ryan and the gang has made both with Gamespot and later with Giantbomb. I've loved it to bits and I look forward to what's to come. I know everyone will keep doing what they and I love, being themselves. Thank you Ryan for letting me get to know a part of you. I like to think I knew the best part! ;) Thank you Giantbomb. Thank you internet friends. Love from a long time watcher/listener/lurker. To infinity and beyond! :D

#6945 Posted by civid (336 posts) -

My deepest condolenses to friends and family and I truly appreciate the rest of the Bombcrew still pumping out content even still.

#6946 Edited by Winterstrike (59 posts) -

I still can't believe it guys, I often check and still hope that it's a sick joke. I really can't believe it. I can't. I'll miss you Ryan. :(

#6947 Posted by bagleyjw (38 posts) -

Gosh Ryan you will be missed, you never met me and I never met you, but somehow I feel like I've lost one of my best friends, I've followed the bombast crew since gamespot like a lot of folks and I have a ton of tournament tvs and on the spots downloaded on my computer, time to reminisce and shed a few tears, I will miss you Ryan Davis

#6948 Posted by TheConservativesWereRight (2 posts) -

Oh Ryan.

I once read that if all the insects died then the entirety of life on earth would be immediately decimated and if all the humans died then all life on earth would immediately thrive. At least Ryan contributed towards this theory of generous altruism before any of us selfish bastards did. Take a good look at your lives.

I developed a theoretical afterlife to parody a crude computing metaphor, where there is only a finite amount of consciousness in the universe and where birth and death are simply re/de-allocations of memory. Reincarnation without duality. I can only imagine that Ryan has been zero-filled and is reallocated right now. I'd be surprised if this current assignment will be as successful as his last. He fucking nailed it.

Don't mourn Ryan. Celebrate life, consciousness, humanity. Especially humanity - that fucking bastard was a crowning fucking pinnacle of it.

Oh Ryan. For fucks sake. I miss you and love you- you stupid, fucking.... man.

#6949 Posted by HowDire (266 posts) -

Thank you Ryan.

#6950 Edited by akumous (90 posts) -

This is a joke. They are lying and fucking with us. He is not dead.