Save data corruption.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

So all my save data for the Xbox 360 just got destroyed, erased, and nuked. It's not that big of a deal to me for now because I can continue from where I left off on Halo: Reach, which was the main game I was playing. However, this got me thinking about saved games and how they affect how we play a video game. I guess I've got good enough games to show as examples, so here we go.

Quicksaving

Quicksaving has been a staple of most PC FPS's for a long time. Pushing a key to save lets you inch your way through a difficult game without much difficulty, but is this cheating? I don't know, but I do know that I quicksaved in these games

Half Life, Opposing Force, Blue Shift

Hey do you remember the 'ole Freeman? I do, in fact I only played this game last year when it went on sale for its 10th anniversary, and man was that game tougher than I thought. It was made a whole lot harder by my ineptitude at finding/using the quicksave key. I started to use it more in the two expansions, Opposing Force and Blue Shift, to make for play-sessions that weren't very hard at all. However, it did make me play more of a trial-and-error style than I normally would have, although that may just have been the nature of the genre back then.

Autosaving/Checkpointing

Halo: Reach

So yeah, Halo: Reach has autosaving or checkpointing if you will. Most of the time it works, but sometimes you can get caught in a rut. Unlike quicksaving you can't control where the game saves, so if it decides to save when you only have two health with a Wraith blast right above your head? You're screwed.

I'm not going to do this anymore

You know all this stuff anyway, so what data have lost that was dear to you?

My dear losses:
  • My level 61 Brick
  • My Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga data like 50,000,000 freaking times
  • Metroid Zero mission about 25,000,000 freaking times
  • Wind Waker data got erased quite a bit too if I remember correctly
Probably, some others but what about you'se guys?
Oh, and what save systems have broken/ruined games?
Whether it be the Karma achievements in Fallout 3, to not being able to get where you need to go in Dead Rising 2, or going out of your way to save every 10 minutes in FFVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So all my save data for the Xbox 360 just got destroyed, erased, and nuked. It's not that big of a deal to me for now because I can continue from where I left off on Halo: Reach, which was the main game I was playing. However, this got me thinking about saved games and how they affect how we play a video game. I guess I've got good enough games to show as examples, so here we go.

Quicksaving

Quicksaving has been a staple of most PC FPS's for a long time. Pushing a key to save lets you inch your way through a difficult game without much difficulty, but is this cheating? I don't know, but I do know that I quicksaved in these games

Half Life, Opposing Force, Blue Shift

Hey do you remember the 'ole Freeman? I do, in fact I only played this game last year when it went on sale for its 10th anniversary, and man was that game tougher than I thought. It was made a whole lot harder by my ineptitude at finding/using the quicksave key. I started to use it more in the two expansions, Opposing Force and Blue Shift, to make for play-sessions that weren't very hard at all. However, it did make me play more of a trial-and-error style than I normally would have, although that may just have been the nature of the genre back then.

Autosaving/Checkpointing

Halo: Reach

So yeah, Halo: Reach has autosaving or checkpointing if you will. Most of the time it works, but sometimes you can get caught in a rut. Unlike quicksaving you can't control where the game saves, so if it decides to save when you only have two health with a Wraith blast right above your head? You're screwed.

I'm not going to do this anymore

You know all this stuff anyway, so what data have lost that was dear to you?

My dear losses:
  • My level 61 Brick
  • My Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga data like 50,000,000 freaking times
  • Metroid Zero mission about 25,000,000 freaking times
  • Wind Waker data got erased quite a bit too if I remember correctly
Probably, some others but what about you'se guys?
Oh, and what save systems have broken/ruined games?
Whether it be the Karma achievements in Fallout 3, to not being able to get where you need to go in Dead Rising 2, or going out of your way to save every 10 minutes in FFVII
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

I'm sorry for you, that really sucks. :(
There's so much time and effort (especially in something like your Brick, 61 levels ain't something you do in a day) in those saves.
Which reminds me, can't we back up saves on the xbox now with the usb sticks allowed and what not? Or is that fishy business?  

And funny how your avatar is Samus from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 
(Sorry xD)

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By animateria

Persona 3 FES...

My main and only save got corrupt right at the last boss.

AT THE GOD DAMN LAST MOTHER FU... ahem... Last boss.

I had to finish the game on some other save file I downloaded off of Gamefaqs. It was on a second playthrough with all kinds of upgrades so the boss was too easy. Pity I couldn't change the name to my character at the very least.

Oh and accidentally deleted my finished GTAIV file. But I needed an excuse to play through it again so it wasn't that bad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TaliciaDragonsong: 
That's why my saves got corrupted, I think I got a lossy stick, I really couldn't tell you how it happened.
I have Corruption, but I haven't played it yet, I just like Metroid. Also, that was a bad joke, but I can appreciate such a use of such a bad joke.
@animateria:
So we're okay on the concept of deleting files to give yourself an excuse to play again?
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By animateria
@c0l0nelp0c0rn1:  Well I gotta look in the bright side don't I?

I hate it when I accidentally save over important files though... bummer.
kratier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kratier

I turned off my PS3 using the power switch in the back too many times, corrupted my harddrive , had to reformat, lost years of save game files including 700+ hour demons souls save. 
The problem with ps3 is that the save files are locked, so you cant just get someone else's save file and use that, and there is no one working on ways to  edit save files so it will work unlike the 360 which has some program you can use to change the profile name on the save.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Enigma777

My KZ2 save got corrupted and I lost the 50+ hours I spent in the Campaign as well as all the blood and tears I shed while completing Elite difficulty. I also lost my 300+ hour save in FF Tactics.

Masonvd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Masonvd

I lose my Rachet and Clank: Crack in time save due to a power flicker while the game was autosaving. The PS3 is most sensitive piece of electronics I've ever owned. I still remember it to, the flash wasn't even long enough to reset the clocks and it still turned off my PS3.  I was a really close to a couple silver and gold trophies too. 

Not quite a corruption or deletion but while playing FF Tactics on PSP I had to restart after 30 hours due to a shitty thing where the game tells you to save, so I did, wasn't strong enough for the next boss fight and then couldn't leave to level up. Lesson learned >.>

Kai7os

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Kai7os

I lost 100 hours on Tales of Symphonia...
made me go insane!!
but in the end i finished it with 121 hours in =P

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Vonocourt

Lost my level 48(?) Roland when I switched xboxs. 
Lost my Psersona 3 Fes playthrough where I was fifty hours in when my PS3 died. Yeah, all those saves I had on my old PS3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kai7os: How is that game? I had it once, but didn't much care for it then.
Kai7os

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Kai7os
@c0l0nelp0c0rn1:  Brilliant! my fav in the "Tales of" series. I wouldnt have bothered with it after my save got corrupted otherwise ^^
X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By X19

I look forward to cloud saving coming to the PS3.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Boiglenoight

Speaking of clouds, Dark Cloud 2 while 2/3rd through the game.  Lost because my roommate was using some kind of PS2 savegame transfer peripheral he bought to pull his Prince of Persia save from our PS2 memory card to the PS3.  Erased the whole stupid card, and didn't even copy properly.  It wasn't even the good Prince of Persia (the one with Godsmack music).