Sentimental Gaming Moments

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ztiworoh

We all have moments where a game, regardless of its quality, leaves a mark on our lives because of the circumstances in which we play them. For me, I have two that really stand out in my mind: 

1. Microsoft Space Simulator: 

I was about 10 years old and my family had purchased our first computer - a Compaq with a 486 66mhz - and my friend Van bought me this game for my birthday. I have vivid memories of the stack of 1.44 mb floppies that the game came on and learning to set up a Soundblaster card. He and I spent countless hours  messing around with Space Simulator.  I remember thinking that the graphics were mind blowing and I was amazed when we flew a ship to the black hole at the center of the galaxy and found the base on the surface of Mars. 

2. Chrono Trigger: 

I didn't have a console growing up but I spent summers with my cousins, at my grandmother's house, and they had an SNES. While I'd played my fair share of Mario and Contra, I never knew that games could have stories. That is until my older cousin John popped in Chrono Trigger. At the time, I didn't know what an RPG was but I spent days watching him play through the game, getting engrossed in a complex, emotional story. I was deeply affected by the cutscene showing the world being destroyed by Lavos. Flash forward almost 2 decades and I love RPGs and story-heavy game experiences - something I chalk up to the mark Chrono Trigger left on me. 

Anyone else have similar stories?