SFX in lieu of speech concept?

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Ryan Davis and the Giant Bomb crew mentioned this phenomenon on last weeks bombcast I believe.  
We've all played games that have sound effects instead of voice acting that accompany the jotting of words and punctuation in games. This is usually seen in older games such as Star Fox and Animal Crossing but it is still prevalent in new games such as Yakuza 3 and 3D Dot Game Heroes, It also often reflects the characters personality e.g. small girl has cute chirpy sound where as a large dullard might have a low monotone for him.
So I put the question to the moderators and the community, is this a worthy concept at Giant Bomb and more importantly what to call it?

pgiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By pgiii

Banjo-Kazooie is one of the greatest uses of this.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Coombs

I hate that crap.
My girlfriend had an Animal Crossing obsession for a good long while,
And that shit drove me INSANE

Detrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Detrian

It's still speech by definition so no.

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@Detrian: I agree but there seems to be a concept blind spot between Voice Acting and Text Bubbles. There a concept similar called Speech Synthesis,but that deals with human like voices reproduced through digital means such as Sinistars "Run Coward!" The concept could be submitted as is but I thought that the giant bomb community, who is so fond of portmanteaus  could help create a catchy title.