Should I buy my Xbox and PS5 from scalpers??

elisdee1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi guys I’m new here but long time listener, I missed out on all pre orders this time and will have to resort to it a scalped console as I want 2 of each as I get my daughter the same console too. Anyone else in this position ? If so what is paying way too much in your honest opinion???

Tunnelman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think I’d hold off if you can, while the preorders were a complete mess I would surely expect them to restock before launch.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Humanity

Just wait. Don't give scalpers your hard earned money. There are no must play games at launch anyway.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not out yet. They have nothing for you.

Mastaofminds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You are basically giving someone your money interest free for 2+ months, plus the chance they could scam you in the process. You are also paying a premium for an unknown variable, when it will probably be available at launch anyway. It's just not worth it in every regard.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

No. Scalpers are shitbags and you're wasting your money. Keep an eye out for the new consoles and hopefully you'll get one.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fuck no! seems like a waste of money and you're supporting bad behavior.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wait. It’s fine. Whatever your current hardware is, it’ll probably still play all the games you want on it.

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hansberg

Repeating what others have said, no. Me, my wife, my kids are all gamers, and even the children who are usually exactly as excitable as children tend to be over the latest new thing are on board with just waiting. It's unlikely that no consoles will be available at launch; and even if it comes to pass that there is no inventory then it's still no big deal. They'll make more.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No? Just wait, they're not going anywhere. Scalpers have those things for thousands.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Onemanarmyy

i'd much rather wait a year or 2. Might be able to stretch it out towards the mid-refresh model. I still remember how long the PS4 folk had Resogun as the stand out game. Sure, that's quite a cool game, but shouldn't be a system seller.

pudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely. You’re not a good parent otherwise.

24thDoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You don’t “have to resort” to anything. More consoles will come available throughout the season. Just follow Wario64 on twitter and be patient. Buying from scalpers is risky and unnecessary, and only exacerbates the problem.

kornnugget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elisdee1: Don't do it. The wait will not be that long for stock to come back and you wont be missing too much. You can get by with XBOX for PC or your current XBOX to play any new game pass games.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

There should be more stock in stores before the end of the year, so I would definitely wait unless paying a couple of grand to scalpers would make no impact on my household budget whatsoever.

I wound up with an extra Xbox One back during the launch in 2013 and decided to sell it online. As the console was not yet officially sold in Finland during that time some poor soul ended up buying it for 800 euros. I felt really guilty about it, but luckily the guy buying it didn't seem like he was short on cash.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just wait, there are really not even any big games being released just for either console, unless you need it ASAP, and even then, you very well may be getting scammed on Ebay, and that is a headache in itself to deal with.

theonewhoplays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the hurry?

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do not, under any circumstances, do this. You're getting taken for a ride (even if the wildly inflated pricing is pocket change to you), and you're tacitly encouraging the practice. If no one bought overpriced items from resellers, they would have no incentive to continue it.

pearsonpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scalpers no, time travelers...maybe. Pick me up a Sports Almanac if you can.

Avatar image for drgirlfriendexp
drgirlfriendexp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pudking said:

Definitely. You’re not a good parent otherwise.

Agreed.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

No, don't buy a console for one penny above MSRP + tax.

I fully believe that come November 23rd (Black Friday week) you will find Xbox and PS5 on store shelves if you look, I don't think ist will be so impossible to find one that you need to mess with scalpers. It is not even a "moral rectitude" thing against scalpers, it is I think most people will find these consoles on teh shelf or in their eBaskets this holiday.

I likely won't find a console on their launch days, but I will have one by Nov 27th. My feeling is don't sweat it, you will get one for MSRP.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: I mean, one penny above? I'd pay one penny. Heck, I'd even pay MSRP+$10 for shipping!

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Absolutely not. That would just be validating this practice.

Demon9911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't do it. They will restock. Don't enrich someone else due to FOMO when you still have plenty of time prior to launch (if you even need to get it for launch).

Avatar image for fluffynutkicker
fluffynutkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s been said already, but there is still a lot of time between now and the console launches. Stores will take more preorders, just wait. I would never pay double for a console, and that’s what is average for a scalper.

timoneous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Never reward bad behavior...wait and use the money you would have been willing to pay extra for the systems and get some games/accessories instead. Follow the CAG guys and @Wario64 and they'll alert when online preorder stock gets replenished. Or, go to a local retailer (Target, BestBuy, WalMart, Sam's Club, Costco, Gamestop) and ask how they are handling in-person preorders and launch quantities. Get creative, especially if you're trying to acquire more than one.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

no

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Don't let them win and this is going to be the worst ever console launch in terms of new games to play on those machines. Stay strong!

elisdee1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks all I appreciate your feedback, you convinced me to wait I’ve never missed a console launch since the Sega megadrive (genesis) I just want to make sure I catch them all ! Haha yeh makes it hard when I got to get my daughter the same consoles I have too. But yeh I’ll wait cash is king I’m sure Simone won’t pick theirs up and I’ll be there to snap it up ! Lol again thanks

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

GothNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just do it they may never be in stock again

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please don't encourage scalping buy giving them triple the value.
Wait it out a bit and get your consoles.

ThisIsACoolTag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ThisIsACoolTag

Someone I know in the UK managed to preorder a Series X from the Microsoft website earlier (7:45 am BST) this morning. Have faith!

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no.

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RalphMoustaccio

@elisdee1: GameStop has announced that some additional PS5 preorders are going to be available tomorrow online and in store. No specified time has been given for when they’ll open up online, though. Rumor is these units won’t be launch day stock, but are expected shortly after.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what the value of a dollar is worth to you. If you can drop double the price for a thing (and maybe get scammed in the process) then you do you. I'd recommend waiting. There's still plenty of great games releasing now on current hardware. Wait out the madness.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could just wait a bit.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Do not do this.

seakae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Don't bother. Just wait.

noobsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't help scalpers keep doing what they do. And besides, day 1 for consoles is usually not worth it (as someone who's done it enough), this time especially. Hell, NOTHING is worth getting till maybe Q2 next year.

krelmoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is nothing to play at launch by the time there is something they will be readily available. Don’t be silly the only thing that might be worth considering is if you have to get one of the “Console Transition” (Call of Duty, Cyberpunk, Assassins Creed) games in the meanwhile make sure you can upgrade when consoles are available even if that means paying a bit more.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember young me really wanting a launch PS2.

I was making $5 an hour at the time. Only way to get a preorder was EB or GameStop’s bundle with like a shitty controller, Madden and some other launch titles. It was like $299? $399?

The PS2 looked rough for the first year or two. As a PC gamer with a 3D accelerator I was wowed by the Dreamcast. I was dissappointed in the jump from DC to PS 2.

For the first year I had that dumb thing, it was a FF9 and Ring of Red box. For the first year and a half, I struggled to enjoy my PS2. I kept telling myself MGS 2 was coming and it would change how I felt about spending so much on a launch device. (Lol)

I have Sony to thank for curing me of my ridiculous obsession with preordering consoles.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@elisdee1: Don't give in to those bastards, supply will even out i hope, i remember getting an IOU for a PS2 for my birthday that year haha. its all good and we have nothing but time and trauma these days.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

No. Buying from scalpers is why they keep getting away with this. If it's profitable then why should they stop doing it?
You're experiencing FOMO. I would let it pass before making a rash decision. You could just wait and get your consoles eventually. Just be patient.