Should Sites Review Import Titles?

finalkross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

Edited By finalkross

Back in the day, when I used to frequent a certain web-site, I was really impressed with their coverage of games in Asia. They would have reviews of some of the bigger titles months before the game reached our shores (eg. Final Fantasy VIII, Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story (yes, all RPGs and all Squaresoft games)). It was nice that they did this since in all those games cases it added to the hype prior to the game's eventual release in North America.

Now of days, games don't take months to reach one continent from the other. outside of a few RPGs that require some significant localization, you can expect most games to be in stores within a few weeks of each other. But yes, there are those rare cases that a game may come a few months later.

Recently, the site that shall not be named has begun to do 'import' reviews but not labeling them as such. They would have their Australian or British divisions review games and consider them as normal reviews. For example, with this, every FIFA and/or Soccer title is reviewed by a Brit and games that arrive in Europe first are reviewed in advance by someone in that region (eg. LocoRoco 2 was reviewed by their Australian branch). Other sites do import reviews, but always signify the difference so gamers know that the review is coming from a different part of the world.

So my question is, should gaming sites review games that are not available in their specific market? In my eyes, the answer is no. A game should be available in that region in order for a review to be considered valid. For example, Eurogamer recently proclaimed Chrono Trigger DS as their 27th best game of 2008; problem is, the game is scheduled for release in Europe in Feb of 2009. How can a game be a quality title in 2008 if people in Europe can't legitimately purchase the game at their local electronics shop?

How fair is it for me, a freelancer reviewer at a Canadian gaming site, was to write a review for Patapon 2: Don Chaka. I bought the game while visiting Japan, I've played enough that I could give my recommendation on it and post a fair review (except in regards to multiplayer), but would be viewed as a fair review...probably not.

I like how in general most sites avoid reviewing Import titles. 1up could have easily posted a view on the recent Capcom Fighting game for the Wii, but did not, and I think that other sites should also not review games that are not available in stores the site is based in. We may live in a Global economy, but 90% of gamers regardless of how 'hardcore' they are, do not import games.

Maybe I'm wrong on the subject, but I would rather sites mark their games as imported reviewed instead of passing it off because it can be misleading. An Aussie might be better at reviewing an upcoming Rugby game (if one ever comes back) and give it a great score. Their 9/10 might be fair from an Australian perspective, but put the hands of someone from another part of the world and things will be different.

finalkross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By finalkross

Back in the day, when I used to frequent a certain web-site, I was really impressed with their coverage of games in Asia. They would have reviews of some of the bigger titles months before the game reached our shores (eg. Final Fantasy VIII, Chrono Cross and Vagrant Story (yes, all RPGs and all Squaresoft games)). It was nice that they did this since in all those games cases it added to the hype prior to the game's eventual release in North America.

Now of days, games don't take months to reach one continent from the other. outside of a few RPGs that require some significant localization, you can expect most games to be in stores within a few weeks of each other. But yes, there are those rare cases that a game may come a few months later.

Recently, the site that shall not be named has begun to do 'import' reviews but not labeling them as such. They would have their Australian or British divisions review games and consider them as normal reviews. For example, with this, every FIFA and/or Soccer title is reviewed by a Brit and games that arrive in Europe first are reviewed in advance by someone in that region (eg. LocoRoco 2 was reviewed by their Australian branch). Other sites do import reviews, but always signify the difference so gamers know that the review is coming from a different part of the world.

So my question is, should gaming sites review games that are not available in their specific market? In my eyes, the answer is no. A game should be available in that region in order for a review to be considered valid. For example, Eurogamer recently proclaimed Chrono Trigger DS as their 27th best game of 2008; problem is, the game is scheduled for release in Europe in Feb of 2009. How can a game be a quality title in 2008 if people in Europe can't legitimately purchase the game at their local electronics shop?

How fair is it for me, a freelancer reviewer at a Canadian gaming site, was to write a review for Patapon 2: Don Chaka. I bought the game while visiting Japan, I've played enough that I could give my recommendation on it and post a fair review (except in regards to multiplayer), but would be viewed as a fair review...probably not.

I like how in general most sites avoid reviewing Import titles. 1up could have easily posted a view on the recent Capcom Fighting game for the Wii, but did not, and I think that other sites should also not review games that are not available in stores the site is based in. We may live in a Global economy, but 90% of gamers regardless of how 'hardcore' they are, do not import games.

Maybe I'm wrong on the subject, but I would rather sites mark their games as imported reviewed instead of passing it off because it can be misleading. An Aussie might be better at reviewing an upcoming Rugby game (if one ever comes back) and give it a great score. Their 9/10 might be fair from an Australian perspective, but put the hands of someone from another part of the world and things will be different.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By jeff

The realities of reviewing imports start to get sort of harsh.

Publishers hate it when you review games that are coming to your region before they come to your region.
There are so many games coming out domestically that you should probably stick to the local stuff.
There probably aren't enough people out there actively importing games to make import reviews truly useful as purchasing advice.
You'll need to reapproach the same game when it's released in your region to ensure you have an accurate review, which is sort of a waste of time.

It's usually better for all involved to just cover imports in a preview-style format.
dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By dsplayer1010

Plus, different regions may have different opinions on what makes a game good

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By weltal
finalkross said:

Can't say I agree with this at all. There is no legitimate reason to NOT review a game because it's unavailable to the current region. I don't even get the argument here, what, because you can't or, perhaps more realistically, won't import a game means no one should have the option of looking up it's score? Should the sites or publications in question just ignore the fact that they can get their hands on a game and review it early for people that actually want to import, or even simply for the people that are excited about a game and now have a review to give them a heads up about the quality of the game?

Sure, games can lose some quality in the process of translation, game play changes and such but for the most part the version you've imported is going to be the same as the version that his shelves locally. If there is in fact a large enough discrepancy between the imported and local game, yeah, there should be a some coverage of this fact. However I don't believe that fact that a game is imported makes it a worthless or unhelpful review.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Weltal said:
"finalkross said:

Can't say I agree with this at all. There is no legitimate reason to NOT review a game because it's unavailable to the current region. I don't even get the argument here, what, because you can't or, perhaps more realistically, won't import a game means no one should have the option of looking up it's score? Should the sites or publications in question just ignore the fact that they can get their hands on a game and review it early for people that actually want to import, or even simply for the people that are excited about a game and now have a review to give them a heads up about the quality of the game?

Sure, games can lose some quality in the process of translation, game play changes and such but for the most part the version you've imported is going to be the same as the version that his shelves locally. If there is in fact a large enough discrepancy between the imported and local game, yeah, there should be a some coverage of this fact. However I don't believe that fact that a game is imported makes it a worthless or unhelpful review."
But like take giantbomb for example, they don't speak japanese, so how are they suppose to review something?  What if there's text that makes a feature much more useful.

It's not like they could even attempt to properly review FF13 before the english version
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By weltal
SmugDarkLoser said:
But like take giantbomb for example, they don't speak japanese, so how are they suppose to review something?  What if there's text that makes a feature much more useful.

It's not like they could even attempt to properly review FF13 before the english version"
I'm not claiming a site should review beyond it's means. Yeah GiantBomb can't review an imported Japanese RPG because they wouldn't understand the majority of the game's story (Although I'd contend that's not really important for imported fighting games of another language). IF however, they had a reviwer who could understand the Japanese language then why shouldn't they import and review a copy of FF13? Besides, importing covers more than just language barrier games. Take Australia for example, who tends to drawl the short straw when it comes to games. Why should a reviewer wait untill the game is release locally to review it if they can form a comprehensive review without waiting?

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By dsplayer1010
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Weltal said:

It's not like they could even attempt to properly review FF13 before the english version"

Brad says he knows katakana. I don't know if he knows hiragana or, how fluent he is
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187
dsplayer1010 said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"Weltal said:

Brad says he knows katakana. I don't know if he knows hiragana or, how fluent he is"
I want proof on the podcast or it didn't happen!!!
finalkross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By finalkross

The issue isn't so much 'if the ability is there then it should be done', but I do agree with what Jeff has to say. I would rather an import-review be treated more like a preview since it isn't always a guarantee that the exact same version is released in everywhere else.

Let's take an older game like Ico. When released there was a major difference between the European English version and the North American English version, an omission that ends up significantly changes the game. When you completed the game in the European version, the second play through, Yorda's weird speech was translated into English for you to understand what exactly is being said. This feature is omitted from the NA version. If a reviewer from North America took the European version and said 'you can play this game a second time to see what is being said' they would be giving the reader false information.

I think the disclaimer 'Import' should be attached to a game 'review' if one is being reviewed  or at least it should contain some sort of disclaimer to the fact that this game is not currently available in your region. If I read the LocoRoco 2 review at Gamespot and think 'I'd like to buy this game', I can't because it's only available to purchase from amazon.ca in February. Also, how does the site know that something won't be removed or added once the game is actually released on these shores.

In the end, I still prefer the way that IGN does there reviews, by clearly allowing their difference branches, UK, Australia and North America the ability to score the games as they see fit and when the game actually reaches that part of the world.