Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pazy

Source: http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49302415-1,00.htm

According to this post over at Cnet.co.uk it looks like Sky, a subscription-based digital television network in the UK, is going to give access to its content through Xbox Live. Directly on the dashboard will be TV listings, the option for Live TV and some non-live content as well as the ability to invite your friends (assuming they also have access to that particuler peice of content) to watch live with you, Avatars in tow:

No Caption Provided
The release date looks to be some time in the autumn and you will need an active subscription to Sky (with appropriate packages for sports/movies etc.).

So what do you guys think, at least UK people? You interested or couldent care less?

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Seedofpower

So, let me get this right. You are going to watch Tv, through your xbox on a tv?

I would rather just go to a friends house to watch it, that way we can have a few beers and watch the game or whatever.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pazy
Seedofpower said:
So, let me get this right. You are going to watch Tv, through your xbox on a tv?I would rather ... [more]

I think its more like Ive got a Sky boy in the living room but in my bedroom I have my 360 to watch Sky (rather than a second sky box). And I assume most people would rather get together but if you cant, like if its your friend who loves football in dundee but your in glasgow.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Ineedaname

If that's how it looks and doesn't full screen I'll pass, but if it does, I'll sign up, as I'm a student I'm bouncing around in accommodation every year if I get Sky on my xbox it would be awesome.

hb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hb

I would love that. I have Sky in my living room but not in my bedroom. That would be great!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pazy
Ineedaname said:
If that's how it looks and doesn't full screen I'll pass, but if it does, I'll sign up, as I'm ... [more]

Now that is a point I hadent considered. None of the pictures in the source article, or any others ive seen, show a "full screen" picture, the only picture that has an actual "show" in it is the above one which is showing football. Im not sure whether thats to accomidate the avatars (and there emoticons) and background or whether the rest of the videos will have the option of playing video in full screen or 1:1. Im not sure if there delivering the HD channels but most of it at least will definately be SD so that would mean a small picture (on an HD TV) so perhaps they didnt want to show a full screen picture since it "wouldent show the service in its full capacity" or something.

Either way im in, I still play a megadrive on a 1080p HD TV happily.

Seraphim2150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Seraphim2150

i'm interested to see how this service is being paid for. is it on top of your usual sky fee or is it included? anyone know?

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Alexander

Yeah, like seraphim, I'm waiting to see how they are going to charge for this.

Avatar image for snoopeasystreet
snoopeasystreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By snoopeasystreet

Wow. This looks great.

Hopefully it will be like sky player on the computer, so your ability to stream is based on user name and password and not on location. This would be particularly handy if you were in a friends house who owns a 360 but does not subscribe to sky. In theory, you should be able to recover your gamertag, download the app and then be able to watch any show on the service like a football match. 

I presume that the service will be free to those who have both an xbox live and a sky subscription. The same way that netflix is free in the U.S.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks

Great idea, but I already have a subscription to Sky, so don't need this.

Seraphim2150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Seraphim2150

I think it will be useful for families who have a sky subscription, only one box and want to let their kids to watch sky

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pazy

The pricing is something hasent been decided according to what I can gather. But assuming you still get the ardverts then it dosent really seem like they will cost them more money than broadcasting to a sky box, then again you pay £10 a month for Sky Multiroom (a second box somewhere else in your house with the same channels as your first). Looks like we will have to wait and see

KillaWolf13 said:
Seraphim2150 said: i'm interested to see how this service is being paid for. is it on top of your usual ... [more]

Im assuming its a convenience thing, for example the reason I like this is because I would much rather watch my TV in my bedroom than in the living room especially since tihs will mean I can watch something when someone else is using the TV in the living room.

As for full screen, no one seems to know. The one screenshot shows a border around it (the picture in the OP) but it would make sense since every other video, including as far as I know the streaming Inside Xbox-type videos, lets you click to view in diffrent modes. 

andymp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By andymp

I thought it stated in the press release that this service would be the same as the existing online service from Sky, which lets existing subscribers watch the channels from the Sky website at no charge. 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HandsomeDead

This just seems pointless as I already have a sky subscription. It could be good for people who don't and still want to see their channels.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By killdave

Interesting

and Sky is owned by the same person as FOX in the US. Maybe something happening over there too ?