Smears of War...

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By SonicFire

Ok, it's a little after midnight here, and i think I have to break the blog silence of the last couple of months to vent about something that really is problematic and troublesome in the game arena: obscene, vulgar, online gamers.

We all know that a lot of games tend to attract a core demographic of either pubescent or immature males who cannot restrain their mouths or their manners online. We saw a lot of it online, and we're seeing it now again with gears of war 2. Frankly, my friends and I just want to go online, have some good competition, and at the end of a good round, congratulate each other. But after about 2 weeks, and countless hours online, I'd have to say that 9 out of 10 teams we encounter are little boys (age isn't the point here) who somehow find it validating to swear, curse, and generally profane anyone who happens to be playing against them. Don't even get me started on the blatant racism of some people out there, which really is alarming in this day in age that someone would try to validate their own egos by using pretty horrible language.

I know that most of this is considered "normal" for online gaming, but should it really be? How can gaming continue to develop as a "community" or "art form" when the foremost titles are dominated by people who somehow forget the most basic human courtesies. Now I know that some smack talk can be appropriate, and even good natured in competition, but I can maybe recount one or two matches where it didn't devolve into some of the most vile and deluded hate speech imaginable. Why? Seriously, if you are that guy, what do you get out of it? What is the point? At the end of the day, all these people do is prevent gaming communities from being what they could be, and reinforce the idea that games indeed are for immature little boys. 

I know I'm not the first (nor will I be the last) to go on about this. But I'm trying to convince some of my friends not to ditch their copies of the game in response to the sheer avalanche of foul-mouthed, ill-natured, online games that seem to populate a good 95% of the online community in gears of war now. I can only hope that this changes in time, because Gears 2 is a fantastic game, both local and online. 

Here's the truth, having a microphone and a gamertag does not absolve you of the basic duties, responsibilities, and courtesies that people need to show one another in society. At the end of the day, those who violate this with constant derision and hate speech are trying to have their fun at the expense of others, and this is the definition of both insecurity and cruelty. 

Yes, it is just a game. So why can't we all have fun, and just play?
SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SonicFire

Ok, it's a little after midnight here, and i think I have to break the blog silence of the last couple of months to vent about something that really is problematic and troublesome in the game arena: obscene, vulgar, online gamers.

We all know that a lot of games tend to attract a core demographic of either pubescent or immature males who cannot restrain their mouths or their manners online. We saw a lot of it online, and we're seeing it now again with gears of war 2. Frankly, my friends and I just want to go online, have some good competition, and at the end of a good round, congratulate each other. But after about 2 weeks, and countless hours online, I'd have to say that 9 out of 10 teams we encounter are little boys (age isn't the point here) who somehow find it validating to swear, curse, and generally profane anyone who happens to be playing against them. Don't even get me started on the blatant racism of some people out there, which really is alarming in this day in age that someone would try to validate their own egos by using pretty horrible language.

I know that most of this is considered "normal" for online gaming, but should it really be? How can gaming continue to develop as a "community" or "art form" when the foremost titles are dominated by people who somehow forget the most basic human courtesies. Now I know that some smack talk can be appropriate, and even good natured in competition, but I can maybe recount one or two matches where it didn't devolve into some of the most vile and deluded hate speech imaginable. Why? Seriously, if you are that guy, what do you get out of it? What is the point? At the end of the day, all these people do is prevent gaming communities from being what they could be, and reinforce the idea that games indeed are for immature little boys. 

I know I'm not the first (nor will I be the last) to go on about this. But I'm trying to convince some of my friends not to ditch their copies of the game in response to the sheer avalanche of foul-mouthed, ill-natured, online games that seem to populate a good 95% of the online community in gears of war now. I can only hope that this changes in time, because Gears 2 is a fantastic game, both local and online. 

Here's the truth, having a microphone and a gamertag does not absolve you of the basic duties, responsibilities, and courtesies that people need to show one another in society. At the end of the day, those who violate this with constant derision and hate speech are trying to have their fun at the expense of others, and this is the definition of both insecurity and cruelty. 

Yes, it is just a game. So why can't we all have fun, and just play?
siLVUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By siLVUR

Because the same little boys believe they are at the top of their game. Just  take them down in a match to shut em up.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

I like trying to go above and beyond basic smack talk to try and get the other person so riled up against me that it puts them off their game. One time, I told a player who lived not far from my house that i'd track him down and torture his dad with a drill. He got so pissed off that in every round of Gears, he'd come running right for me and in doing so, I iced him every time.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf
siLVUR said:
"Because the same little boys believe they are at the top of their game. Just  take them down in a match to shut em up."
They just get louder...
SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SonicFire

You mention "going beyond smack talk," but this is just a game. And you have to think of the ramifications of saying things like that. Is a game worth it? Really? If you were to say that to someone on the street, you could be arrested, seriously. There is a reason for that... because it's horrifying and degrading at best. Ok, so at best you what, win a round? It does more than just "knock people off their game," it ruins it for everyone who just wants to have fun, or play the game with friends. Like I said in the post, that kind of zero-sum mentality (my enjoyment at the expense of others) is sadism. 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf
SonicFire said:
"You mention "going beyond smack talk," but this is just a game. And you have to think of the ramifications of saying things like that. Is a game worth it? Really? If you were to say that to someone on the street, you could be arrested, seriously. There is a reason for that... because it's horrifying and degrading at best. Ok, so at best you what, win a round? It does more than just "knock people off their game," it ruins it for everyone who just wants to have fun, or play the game with friends. Like I said in the post, that kind of zero-sum mentality (my enjoyment at the expense of others) is sadism. "
Well, with the new update you can just private chat with everyone that is in your party. The problem is partially solved that way.
Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Bass

I generally don't get a lot of this. That being said, I normally play TF2, which seems to attract more mature gamers

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince
HandsomeDead said:
"I like trying to go above and beyond basic smack talk to try and get the other person so riled up against me that it puts them off their game. One time, I told a player who lived not far from my house that i'd track him down and torture his dad with a drill. He got so pissed off that in every round of Gears, he'd come running right for me and in doing so, I iced him every time."
So your one of them...
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Yeah, I hate it too. Generally I don't play games online until a while after the hysteria has died down. By then I guess the problem is reduced a bit. Either way, all these people you speak of are idiots and losers. Personally, I take the time to report anyone that I think shouldn't be on Xbox Live.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SonicFire
Bass said:
"I generally don't get a lot of this. That being said, I normally play TF2, which seems to attract more mature gamers"
Yeah, it seems that once the initial wave dies down then it can become civil again. Gears one, before the gears two launch, was really a great place to play. It's a shame though that we have to wade through gaming waters like neighborhoods that aren't safe....
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
LiquidPrince said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"I like trying to go above and beyond basic smack talk to try and get the other person so riled up against me that it puts them off their game. One time, I told a player who lived not far from my house that i'd track him down and torture his dad with a drill. He got so pissed off that in every round of Gears, he'd come running right for me and in doing so, I iced him every time."
So your one of them..."
It depends what you mean. I'm not one of those 14 year olds who's just learned how to use 'fag' and 'douche' but I do enjoy getting under people's skin.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wefwefasdf
HandsomeDead said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"HandsomeDead said:
So your one of them..."
It depends what you mean. I'm not one of those 14 year olds who's just learned how to use 'fag' and 'douche' but I do enjoy getting under people's skin."
Yeah, your one of them. :P
Messier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Messier

Thankfully they included bots in the multi. Its at least an alternative when you don't have enough friends to get a full vs match going.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By brukaoru
SonicFire said:
"Like I said in the post, that kind of zero-sum mentality (my enjoyment at the expense of others) is sadism. "
It's all part of the Internet's anonymity. People are going to be rude and immature because they can get away with it. It sucks, but there's not much that can be done besides reporting them. Honestly, I haven't encountered much of this simply because I don't play public matches in any online game unless a friend invites me into one or something. Should it be normal? No, absolutely not. But some people get pleasure in being mean to others, they find it funny. i definitely agree that these people who are disrespectful to other players are hurting the overall image of gaming as an art form, but sadly this type of behavior won't end anytime soon.
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Bulldog19892
HandsomeDead said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"HandsomeDead said:
So your one of them..."
It depends what you mean. I'm not one of those 14 year olds who's just learned how to use 'fag' and 'douche' but I do enjoy getting under people's skin."
Translation = You're a douche who likes to ruin other people's day.

Even worse. You're like douche 2.0. Not only do you ruin people's fun with your insults, you make particularly nasty, manipulative, and cruel insults. Remind me never to play with you.
pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By pause422

Who probably is a 14 year old who just learned how to use fag. If not, its pretty pathetic thinking of someone any older than 15 or 16 acting like that and thinking they're being clever.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By AndrewGaspar
HandsomeDead said:
"LiquidPrince said:
"HandsomeDead said:
So your one of them..."
I think it's best if you just stop posting.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crunchUK

yeah... at times i wonder why i ever even think of spending £15 on a mic. which probably has something to do with PSN being quiet. nearly all 360s have a mic standard whereas with a ps3 who wants to pay EXTRA to hear a load of crap?