rectum_abominae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rectum_abominae

A philosophical question for you.

Publishers do things by the numbers to generate revenue.  They play it safe.  They do not let loose things like Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Zone of the Enders 2.  They put out that which is safe, that which they have a pretty good idea will sell, because as evidenced by legions of slack-jawed nitwits who have a few bucks to burn, these types of games do sell.

However, when a publisher is wealthy enough, they tend to take more risks.  

Does this make them sellouts?  

Consider your own career.  Suppose you're going to college to be a IT person, but your real passion and talent lies in writing fiction.  You spend years being at best okay with your career, and most of the time pissed off at the things you don't enjoy about it.  Day by day you feel less and less inspired creatively, and ultimately you never write that book.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

The philosophical question is if publishers take more risks, does this make them sell outs?

Usually when I use the term sell out, it tends to be about people who once had a strong principle that they stuck to, but then violated that princple for the chance of having more money or fame.  Since the publisher is just changing their business practices, it doesn't really feel like the same thing, since they're still in control of themselves and still trying to make money. 

If anything, if they're trying something new, rather than sticking with the safe and easy money, that might make them LESS of a sell out, although I'm not sure I'd use that exact term.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I'd say Valve is more of a sellout than Activision is.  While Valve has always had a gamers first thing, Activision themselves have stated they want to "exploit their franchises to the fullest"