So I just got a PS3... Where do I start?

drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By drace

Just got a PS3 off ebay and I'm looking for recommendations on PS3 exclusives that I should check out. Of course there's Killzone, Infamous and Uncharted but, for the most part, I'm kinda clueless on what to look for in the PS3 catalog. I tried to pop into the PlayStation Store to find some of the downloadable stuff but that place is a mess. I need your help guys.

Thanks!

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Demon's Souls

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Demons Souls, Uncharted. Pretty much it, honestly.

Maybe Resistance 3, you probably shouldn't bother with the first two though.

As for downloadables that aren't on Xbox, Joe Danger and Fat Princess are great.

deathfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By deathfury

Demon's Souls and the Yakuza series.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

You start with Demon's Souls. Then: 

• Heavy Rain
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Wipeout HD
  • Metal Gear Solid 4
  • God of War III
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Demon's Souls is the best exclusive on the PS3, but you're better off just getting Dark Souls in two weeks.

If you've played Metal Gear Solid 1-3, then you need to play MGS4.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Gabriel

MGS4

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iam3green

uncharted 1 and 2, gran turismo 5, metal gear solid 4, god of war collection, metal gear solid collection (coming soon), heavy rain, yeah there are a lot of great games for the ps3. it's free to play online with.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By ahgunsillyo

Definitely the Uncharted games, which they sell as a bundle for $40 now. Some people don't recommend the first game as highly as the second, but I think Drake's Fortune is still a really good game and worth playing.

Demon's Souls is also really good; it's a pretty challenging yet rewarding game. I haven't beaten it yet because I suck at the game, but that doesn't mean it's not really good.

Heavy Rain's gameplay is a bit wonky in spots, and some of the voice acting is really quite bad, but the story and atmosphere are pretty great.

The two Ratchet and Clank Future games are both pretty great, and A Crack in Time has one of the best and most unique performances that Nolan North has given. I don't necessarily think you need to play both since the gameplay is so similar between the two (and between all Ratchet and Clank games, really, aside from the multiplayer All 4 One), so if you just want to play one, make it A Crack in Time.

MGS4 is really great as well, but if you haven't played the other games in that series, the story might not make sense (and you'll lose a lot of those fan-service in-jokes that Kojima finangled into the game).

Valkyria Chronicles is a really beautiful game, and the gameplay is a pretty unique blend of turn-based strategy and real-time combat. If you like strategy games or are open to trying one, that's a rather good one.

Some people might disagree, but I think that the first inFamous game is a pretty great game. I haven't played the second game yet, but the first one is pretty fun.

Luckily, you can get most of these games for around $20 each (I think inFamous and Heavy Rain are the only ones here that're currently $30).

Huey_Newton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Huey_Newton

I just got a PS3 myself and dove into Uncharted (1 and 2), Heavy Rain, and MGS4. Of the bunch, I'm loving MGS4 the most. I'm not actually all that big of a Metal Gear fan (played a little bit of MGS 2 and that's it), but man, that game is just something else. Yes, the cut scenes are ridiculously long (and just plain ridiculous most of the time) and the game play can be a tad clunky, but it's just such a rich and unique experience that I actually preferred it to Uncharted 2.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By MetalBaofu

Some of these may have already been mentioned, but here's what I thought of:

Yakuza 3 and 4
Heavy Rain
Ratchet and Clank
God of War 3
The Sly Collection
Uncharted
Resistance 3
Demon's Souls(unless you just want to skip it and play Dark Souls)
Infamous 1 and 2
Little Big Planet 
Tales from Space: About a Blob

StickyW3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StickyW3b

Most everything has been covered, dont be afraid to check out the "Greatest Hits" collection.

Also it would help if we knew what types of games you wanted or what games you like

Elusionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Elusionar

Rent uncharted, resistance then trade it in for a 360.

drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By drace

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! At first I thought the Demon's Souls recommendations were a trap but ink give it a try. Big fan of the metal gear series so I'm definitely looking into that as well. I'm up for almost anything. Glad there's a lot to get for cheap now a days!

Any good PSN finds? Was thinking about some of the Pixel Junk games and maybe Flower and Fat Princess as well.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By MetalBaofu
@Drace said:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! At first I thought the Demon's Souls recommendations were a trap but ink give it a try. Big fan of the metal gear series so I'm definitely looking into that as well. I'm up for almost anything. Glad there's a lot to get for cheap now a days!

Any good PSN finds? Was thinking about some of the Pixel Junk games and maybe Flower and Fat Princess as well.

Tales from Space: About a Blob that I mentioned is a PSN game(there is a quick look of it on here).    Other than that I can't speak much on PSN exclusives, because I haven't bought many yet.   I've got the Back to the Future game, but that's on PC too.  I got Dead Nation from the free thing after PSN went back up, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  Same goes for Super Stardust HD and Wipeout HD.   I'm considering getting Joe Danger at some point.  Not sure which of those have demos out that you could try.
Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Heavy Rain and the God of War series, Uncharted and Infamous.

I started with Infamous when I got my PS3

Tales from Space is also a game i'd recommend and Fat Princess is always fun.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By stubbleman

What you want to do is make a Japanese PSN account. Then you want to go here.

http://www.japan-codes.com/psn/

Then you want to buy a 1000 yen PSN card and enter the code into your funds.

Then you want to use said funds to buy Malicious. It's under まfor Ma in the browse by title area. It should be in English letters so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

You can get Japanese PSN cards from ncsx or play-asia too if you'd rather go that way, but japan-codes works.

Then after that you should try Fat Princess, Wipeout HD Fury and Pixeljunk Shooter both 1 and 2, unless you didn't like 1, in which case you probably shouldn't get 2, because 2 isn't that much different from one, and if you didn't like 1, then you probably won't like 2 either, and I'd hate to see you spend money on two games that you didn't like.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By jkuc316

@somnambulist said:

What you want to do is make a Japanese PSN account. Then you want to go here.

http://www.japan-codes.com/psn/

Then you want to buy a 1000 yen PSN card and enter the code into your funds.

Then you want to use said funds to buy Malicious. It's under

Isn't there an Asian version?