Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@yummylee said:
@stubbleman said:

@darji: Yakuza of the End was a rad game. I don't know what game you were playing...

Hell naw. It's one of the worst games I've played across this generation; it's basically just Yakuza 4, but instead you're playing a shitty shooter instead a clunky--but still awesome--brawler.

It was also the game that made Sega think "Oh well, they don't like Yakuza games anymore" due to low sales numbers. We're never getting Yakuza 5 because of that shitty game.

I wonder what the hell Sega is thinking these days?

Pretty much. Oh, but we needn't worry about missing out on any of dat sweet Hatsune Miku action... >=/ It's all the more tragic because Yakuza 5 even has its own story centred on Haruka aspiring to be a Japanese pop-idol or whatever, and her story's gameplay is basically a musical rhythm game in itself.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Kessen 3 or Samurai Warriors, Kessen 3 is probably the best console non-turn based strategy game ever made.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By artelinarose
@yummylee said:

@nekroskop said:

@yummylee said:
@stubbleman said:

@darji: Yakuza of the End was a rad game. I don't know what game you were playing...

Hell naw. It's one of the worst games I've played across this generation; it's basically just Yakuza 4, but instead you're playing a shitty shooter instead a clunky--but still awesome--brawler.

It was also the game that made Sega think "Oh well, they don't like Yakuza games anymore" due to low sales numbers. We're never getting Yakuza 5 because of that shitty game.

Pretty much. Oh, but we needn't worry about missing out on any of dat sweet Hatsune Miku action... >=/ It's all the more tragic because Yakuza 5 even has its own story centred on Haruka aspiring to be a Japanese pop-idol or whatever, and her story's gameplay is basically a musical rhythm game in itself.

please stop reminding me that we will never get yakuza 5

sob

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think the Onimusha series is fantastic. All three of the main games are perfectly solid in their own right, though the second is probably the best with its branching story paths and characters.

They've aged as well if not better than classic Resident Evil games I find. They have mechanics that might have fallen out of light in gaming (tank controls); but they're still well crafted and fun to play if you can get passed their age.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By cloudymusic

Bushido Blade 2 and Way of the Samurai 3/4 get high recommendations from me. None of them are perfect, but they're all very unique.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty: I've wanted to play this game for so long. I've played all Yakuza games (except 5) to date and love Samurai movies... Import and read translations I guess?

hidden81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rockstar need to make an open world samurai game in the vein of Red Dead.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@yummylee said:

@nekroskop said:

@yummylee said:
@stubbleman said:

Ain't a damn thing wrong with Hatsune Miku. And as for Yakuza 5 well...just import it. I'll be importing Project Diva F 2 and Yakuza 5 both in the spring.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fetchfox said:

@sooty: I've wanted to play this game for so long. I've played all Yakuza games (except 5) to date and love Samurai movies... Import and read translations I guess?

That is your best shot. You also could read Miyamoto Musashi first since you can find a lot of story related stuff in there as well. Youtube has also a really good translation playlist for the cutscenes as well.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@fetchfox said:

That is your best shot. You also could read Miyamoto Musashi first since you can find a lot of story related stuff in there as well. Youtube has also a really good translation playlist for the cutscenes as well.

Thanks, I'll give that a look.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#62  Edited By FakeKisser

For years (since I started watching Kurasawa 12-13 years ago) I've wanted a gritty, realistic Samurai game...

I need to check out the Way of the Samurai games...

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Ha. After looking at some screenshots, I realized I did play Way of the Samura 1 or 2 back in the day. I had totally forgotten. I should replay them, though.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaminghooligan:

Loading Video...

Yes Sengoku Basara is an anime. i dont like it or the games. I do however love samurai Warriors 2, if you don't want a structured gameplay then the open nature of Samurai Warriors 2 empire is the other choice. Can even create your own warrior in Empire with looks and what fighting style (based off the main characters).

For Metal Gear rising play the demo and you will understand how much of an awesome Cyborg Samurai you will feel.

Like other said Way of the Samurai and Bushido Blade.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fakekisser: I'm in the same boat, but a samurai game (and a good one at that) is rare. The last couple of years I've really grown to appreciate Kurosawas work that does not feature samurai or similar. His early noir like movies are also brilliant, like Stray Dog.

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fetchfox: Not exactly sure what noir is, but Ikiru and High and Low are two of Kurosawa's best, imo.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@akyho: wow lol that opener pretty much told me that show isn't for me. The way you described Samurai Warriors empire has me extremely interested as I'm a sucker for character creation.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By fetchfox

@farmer: I love Mifune in roles that are not samurai, especially "High and Low". "Noir" was just me abbreviating the term Film Noir, which in french literary means "black film". It's the film genre with femme fatales (charming, beautiful and deadly women), stark contrast between light and dark and a plot that often centers around a private detective. Humphrey Bogart has starred in some, most known perhaps is "The Maltese Falcon". But if you want to see something that oozes Noir, go watch "Double Indemnity". I won't say anything about it, just watch it and enjoy.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Metal Gear Rising is samurai esque in nature.

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Way of the Samurai 2 is, in my opinion, a lot better than 3. It...felt better, somehow? Also the story and endings were so much better than 3

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bushido Blade and Onimusha.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#72  Edited By Flappy

As a person that has played WotS 1, 3, and 4, I'm still waiting for them to make an awesome game. They have many interesting ideas, but the games aren't -that- much fun. Better visuals and tighter gameplay would do the series a whole lotta good.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#73  Edited By Hailinel

I mean pretty much the best is Samurai Showdown 2 but if fighting games isn't your forte then I'd throw my hat in for Bushido Blade 1-2 and the Samurai Warriors series. Also If straight up action in that era is all u need then check out the Sengoku Basara series or Sengoku 3 for Neo Geo.

As much as I appreciate Sengoku Basara, having played the third one, I just can't recommend it as much as the Samurai Warriors series. In comparison, the Sengoku Baara maps are smaller and more linear, and the scenario on each map is the exact same for every character, with the only real variation being which final stage you get.

Kessen 3 is probably the best console non-turn based strategy game ever made.

I agree with this so much. That game is amazing and a huge step up over the first two games. I'm still bummed that Koei didn't produce a Kessen title for the current (almost previous?) generation.

EidoMwashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killerfridge: I second this. Way of the Samurai 2 just seemed more open and the story was just generally more compelling. Although Way of the Samurai 3 was still pretty fun and worth playing, gotta love being able to draw your sword at any time.