So it looks like Steam jumped the shark for its "news" page

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Lunar_Aura

After running my Steam app to update my games, I noticed GTA4 got a quickie download. Naturally, I wanted to see what it updated so I right clicked on the game and went to "View News" so to speak. 

When I skimmed the first few "news" entries, I couldn't help but notice the amateur, unprofessional, and simply mind-numbingly nauseating excuse for news I've ever seen. The lackluster format and incoherent style looked all too familiar when I confirmed my disgust looking underneath the header "Heavy Rain Needed More Grand Theft Auto (And Ass-Grabbing)" lay that dreaded word... 

Kotaku 

Why did Steam have to resort to this? Steam is a PC application. My PC has internet and if I wanted to peruse insipid and banal website hit-bait, I could open up a browser to do that myself. I didn't mind Penny Arcade teaming up with Steam because they're actually funny sometimes and I never had the displeasure of accidentally viewing them on my Steam client. However, having this tripe show up in my "News" tab really put Steam down a notch for me. 

Is there a way to filter out the news page? Can I replace it with something marginally more legible, like Joystiq or something? Hell, Sankaku Complex would be a better choice. Urgh
Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Lunar_Aura

After running my Steam app to update my games, I noticed GTA4 got a quickie download. Naturally, I wanted to see what it updated so I right clicked on the game and went to "View News" so to speak. 

When I skimmed the first few "news" entries, I couldn't help but notice the amateur, unprofessional, and simply mind-numbingly nauseating excuse for news I've ever seen. The lackluster format and incoherent style looked all too familiar when I confirmed my disgust looking underneath the header "Heavy Rain Needed More Grand Theft Auto (And Ass-Grabbing)" lay that dreaded word... 

Kotaku 

Why did Steam have to resort to this? Steam is a PC application. My PC has internet and if I wanted to peruse insipid and banal website hit-bait, I could open up a browser to do that myself. I didn't mind Penny Arcade teaming up with Steam because they're actually funny sometimes and I never had the displeasure of accidentally viewing them on my Steam client. However, having this tripe show up in my "News" tab really put Steam down a notch for me. 

Is there a way to filter out the news page? Can I replace it with something marginally more legible, like Joystiq or something? Hell, Sankaku Complex would be a better choice. Urgh
HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By HS21

But how else will you know that Steam now sells Prima Strategy Guides and that you can totally play games on a Mac now? Oh and that THQ is looking for "...strong, Asian women" for this year's E3 booth? Need to know information, clearly. 

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By 234r2we232

I'm confused. So you downloaded GTA4 and wondered why you had suddenly entered a lackluster world full of mind-numbing displeasure? Hmm.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By L33tfella_H
@sofacitysweetheart said:
" I'm confused. So you downloaded GTA4 and wondered why you had suddenly entered a lackluster world full of mind-numbing displeasure? Hmm. "
more to do with the fact that Steam decided it needed more shitty filler news, and thus kotaku will 'helpfully' give you 'related' articles when you're trying to find the fucking patch notes.