Spill.com's Cyrus apologizes about Ryan Davis joke and I have my own apologies.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Edited By MocBucket62

I did not know about this until today, but Spill.com had a Daily Spill show yesterday that involved Ryan Davis again. If any of you don't know what Spill.com is, Spill is a movie review website owned by Hollywood.com. The crew usually has reviews of movies in both podcast form and animated video form. They also have another podcast show called the Daily Spill, where two of the critics on the site choose whichever big news stories to talk about whether they are about movies or something else. At the beginning of yesterday's Daily Spill show, there was an apology by one of critics, Cyrus, for he choice of words when joking about a scenario of how Ryan Davis died back on the July 9 show.

So the background on this, on July 9, both Cyrus and his co-host, Korey Coleman, decided to talk about the sad death of Ryan Davis. They were definitely sorry to hear about this loss and the consequences surrounding this news. Then they talked about maybe how we should live a better lifestyle so we don't die so soon and make ourselves live longer, which came from them thinking that Ryan might of died from health issues when looking at his shape and and that nerd culture does not allow much time to work out. Then at the end of the podcast, there was a joke that Cyrus said that I initially thought was not needed that maybe his new wife stabbed him to death.

What happened after that podcast was some negative reactions to how the Ryan Davis story was managed, myself included. Some of you may know that I already wrote a blog about my overall reaction to how Spill covered this story. While I did appreciate them taking the time to talk about this, I expressed disapproval of them going into a discussion of staying in shape and Cyrus' joke about Ryan's wife.

So at the beginning of yesterday's Daily Spill show, Cyrus apologized for making that joke about Ryan's wife killing him. He said that while he meant no harm to anyone when stating it, he realized that it was of poor taste and acknowledged that there was an audience who would of taken offense to the joke. He then said that making jokes about someone's death is never easy to do. He even said that he looked at both the comments of his site and even read my blog about this, saying he read a mutual Spill member's essay on the podcast and that joke on Giant Bomb. I'm thankful that Cyrus apologized for this, for even though I've gotten to believe that the joke was really not meant to offend anyone since writing the initial blog, Cyrus probably should of taken into account that a joke like that could be offensive to a specific crowd. Its good to know that the Spill crew acknowledges audiences out there who wouldn't take that joke lightly. I even commented about that to Cyrus saying thanks for apologizing. I also explained my mentality when first hearing that joke, saying that as a long time Giant Bomb fan, it would be easy for me to get sensitive over that.

Then he got to one thing that he did not apologize for. This is in reaction to my blog and the comments from both my blog and Spill, but Cyrus said that he was not going to apologize for the discussion of keeping yourself healthy in connection to Ryan's death. He felt justified to advice everyone out there to make an effort to stay in shape or else you might die at an unexpected time. Initially I did not approve of that discussion because they might of speculated of how Ryan died because he was large in shape and I thought that was disrespectful to Ryan. But again, the Spill crew meant no harm in discussing this and they're right that we need to maintain our health to live longer lives. I should of mentioned in the past blog that on the July 9th podcast, Korey and Cyrus made fun of themselves and their own shape during the Ryan Davis talk, acknowledging that they too need to be healthier. They talked about how a game of Racquetball between themselves would go, having them laugh at each other for how gassed out they'd be in the first few minutes. I got to respond to this too as I apologized for finding their health discussion disrespectful and should of gave them more credit for addressing this. Even if some of you may think that discussion was insulting to Ryan, they never meant to disrespect the man by any means. I should not of made the Spill crew's discussion on health look bad as they were more than right on how we can live better lives and I apologize for making that a bad thing in my initial blog.

I also want to apologize to you guys for the overreactions of the first blog. When first hearing that podcast and listening to Korey and Cyrus' comments on this, I wanted to make this blog to express how I felt about how they managed it and wanted to hear what you guys felt about it too. It was really a mixed bag of response types saying "Fuck Spill.com for disrespecting Ryan Davis" or "They are right about how we should watch our health, you know" or "I'm sure they meant no harm, don't overreact to this" or "This blog was pretty unnecessary, whether the Spill crew approached this story poorly or not." The last three types of responses hit me harder than the first, I probably should of kept this to myself instead of writing a blog about it. Much like the Spill crew when talking about Ryan, I did not mean anything bad when writing my blog, I just wanted to get my thoughts out there on this, even if I was critical of the Spill crew. So if I made that blog into an overreaction, I apologize. Next time when I might find something offensive or stupid, I'll try to let it go by and not bother me. Think from now on, I will make blogs that don't have negative responses, I'll try to be more positive.

I also want to make a shout out to @jouseldelka for some very wise words about how we should stay in shape and having Ryan as his inspiration for a healthier life. Great message man.

So yeah, thanks you again Cyrus of Spill.com for acknowledging how we responded to your joke and podcast, and next time, I'll be more positive when making blogs. Have a good weekend duders!

RIP Ryan Davis

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By connerthekewlkid

I know it didn't really need to come to this, but it was still nice that both of you apologized.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What ? stop this Spill.com nonsense.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they want to apologize they can, but honestly I will be very content if we don't ever discuss this podcast again. I know I can't stop you and you have the right to raise these issues, but I am just tired of us giving them exposure.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nice that both of you followed up, cheers

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Well that's nice.

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's good that they apologized but I don't know/care what this Spill.com shit is.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Spill does do good podcasts. Cyrus and Leon probably being my fav. personalities on there, they have attracted my attention to some really awesome books, comics, movies and television shows. I would have never even watched Hannibal if they hadn't have recommended it, which has turned out to be a really great show.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is stealth advertising for Spill, isn't it?

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is stealth advertising for Spill, isn't it?

Yep, shut this thread down.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By winsord

They apologized for the wrong one of the two, in my opinion. If it means we stop talking about them though, that works great for me.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winsord said:

They apologized for the wrong one of the two, in my opinion. If it means we stop talking about them though, that works great for me.

Did you even listen to it? His reasoning makes sense to me.
Stop being over-sensitive.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leinad44 said:

@winsord said:

Stop listening to spill.com.

Avatar image for legendarychopchop
LegendaryChopChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only sketchy motherfuckers are named Cyrus.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leinad44 said:

@winsord said:

Why?

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leinad44 said:

@thatdutchguy said:

@leinad44 said:

@winsord said:

Why?

Because it's called Spill.com and not Giantbomb.com.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By MocBucket62

Okay guys, listen. I'm not trying to stealth advertise for Spill.com by any means. I'm just trying to apologize for things I said on a blog I made and address that this man apologized for what he did is wrong. This is honestly the last time I'll blog about the site.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By winsord

@leinad44 said:

@winsord said:

It's not an over-sensitivity, it's your daftness and inability to see an inherent negative perception from which the health discussion originates. It's an issue of a dumb assumption, from which they based almost the entire original conversation on. If it makes you feel better though, you can pass it off as over-sensitivity on my part, someone who's rarely offended by anything, and be done with it. I don't believe it's worth my time to discuss this any further with you though; given your position and 'reasoning', it seems futile to bother and try to explain this to you at all.

@mocbucket62 I've got no issue with you discussing this in a blog, you're simply voicing your opinion on the events that transpired. Personally I said I'd be happy when the discussion was over simply because I still disagree with their stance on the situation. Even if I don't necessarily agree with what you've said, your blogs have been thoughtful and well written. If something pertinent like this topic were to appear again, you shouldn't feel bad or worried about discussing it in the manner that you have here.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like I said before, I don't think the Spill guys are all that bad. I didn't think what you wrote was a waste of time though, and this follow-up was nice as well.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By gaminghooligan

@leinad44: I'm with you on that, I would have never watched Hannibal if they hadn't talked it up. Great show. Spill.com is my go to for movie reviews these days.

Edit: besides Alex and Rorie of course.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I apologise for you apologising about Cyrus' apology. My apologies.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Who cares man, they're talking about Sharknado...SHARKNADO!

But yeah, it's nice that he apologized.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, a bad joke isn't that big of a deal... people deal with death in different ways (especially if they knew him personally). I didn't hear them say it, and the delivery of the joke matters to me. I don't get why people are offended when stuff like "Ryan passing makes me want to be healthier" is said. Yes, they're somewhat guessing that his death was caused or complicated by his weight, but that's a pretty safe bet to make and if some good comes from it then I don't see the harm. "Natural causes" always stem from something whether it be cancer, weight, hereditary, or whatever. If someone is being an a-hole the sure defend Ryan, but just because you disagree there's no reason to act like his personal internet bodyguard.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I was probably cracking Michael Jackson jokes the day he died. If his fan base had heard the they might well over react too. Ryan struck me as someone who could appreciate the odd poorly timed sick joke.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck this stealth advertising bullshit. Gross.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Feanor

I'm sure we are all guilty of poking fun at people who have recently died. Especially when it comes to well known people, and especially when we have no connection to them. Get some perspective. Its not a big deal.

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck this stealth advertising bullshit. Gross.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

IF this is actually some stealth advertisement then the people running this "spill.com" site are the scum of the universe.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people believe this is stealth marketing?

oliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aha im sure it was just a bad joke and its gd they said sorry . i like spill its got simlier vibe to as gaint bomb as its peeps being chating about films in not very professorial way but they podcast are boring

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winsord said:

@leinad44 said:

@winsord said:

It's not an over-sensitivity, it's your daftness and inability to see an inherent negative perception from which the health discussion originates. It's an issue of a dumb assumption, from which they based almost the entire original conversation on. If it makes you feel better though, you can pass it off as over-sensitivity on my part, someone who's rarely offended by anything, and be done with it. I don't believe it's worth my time to discuss this any further with you though; given your position and 'reasoning', it seems futile to bother and try to explain this to you at all.

@mocbucket62 I've got no issue with you discussing this in a blog, you're simply voicing your opinion on the events that transpired. Personally I said I'd be happy when the discussion was over simply because I still disagree with their stance on the situation. Even if I don't necessarily agree with what you've said, your blogs have been thoughtful and well written. If something pertinent like this topic were to appear again, you shouldn't feel bad or worried about discussing it in the manner that you have here.

From what I understand the health discussion was not in poor taste and it was not at Ryan's expense, it was merely someone pointing out that we should all worry about our health which was brought about by someone who looked to be an unhealthy weight dying young.

To deny that Ryan Davis was overweight is ridiculous and to berate people who think that his weight had something to do with his passing (something every person here has had cross their mind) is ridiculous and to get upset at someone's comment on Ryan Davis' behalf is certainly not what he would want and I can't help but think he would ridicule those who did.

There is no need for explaining or reasoning of your logic because your logic is thus; You are closer to the community around Ryan Davis and as such took offence on his part in a situation where no offence was meant, intended or to be found, we all get that alot of us are upset at his passing but that is no cause to demand censorship of other people's opinions.

If we asked the same from the Giant Bomb crew about their discussions / humour we'd be seeing an apology after every other bombcast.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do people believe this is stealth marketing?

It's not. These people are just being fucking stupid. The podcast mentioned Giantbomb and so this is a perfectly acceptable blog. This dude is allowed to offer a public apology after a public over-reaction and now everyone can go on about their lives.

But I guess it's easier to be cynical and accusatory.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You didn't have to go through all this again, but cool. It takes a lot for someone to do this.

I'm not trying to start a war and I know Spill (ugh, that name) guy means well, but I find it mildly obnoxious when someone makes a(n) (unapologetic) PSA based on someone else's death, and could possibly not even follow their own suggestions.

Obesity is an issue, but it's been an issue long before anyone passed away.