starting to hate the forum setup because of spoilery titles

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By JosephKnows

It's cool that topics from everywhere get attention because of how they're all brought up on the main forum display but god am I just realizing how fuckin' stupid some people can be with how they handle spoilers in their topic titles especially with the Arkham Knight topics AND YOU CAN'T AVOID THEM WHEN YOU CLICK ON FORUMS.

Couple things about this

Maybe I'm too sensitive about getting ANY spoilers. People just mentioning stuff about a character appearing or speculation on one character's fate annoys the shit out of me because I still like having these small surprises in any medium I enjoy.

I think I do particularly good job avoiding spoilers when I go to other places online and even on social media. Like, I don't even think about going to forums dedicated to games I plan on playing or am currently playing in when I know people will discuss story aspects. I won't even think of going to subreddits or browsing social media when there's an episode for a show I haven't seen yet.

But it's hard to avoid here when people are making topics with titles like "SO HOW ABOUT X CHARACTER APPEARING AND DYING HUH? (SPOILERS)" and they just appear on the forum feed.

Am I being a crazy asshole? Is there a way to edit what topics appear when you just go to giantbomb.com/forums? Who else is super sensitive to spoilers and can deduce events based on wording?

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kcin

I'm the kind of person who doesn't watch trailers, doesn't even look at promo pics. I can't stand spoilers, and I consider things to be spoilers that others don't. I'm more sensitive than most, and I know that.

However, I don't think you're going to get a lot of sympathy here man. The rule of thumb for most is that everything but twists is considered fair game for discussion. Hell, I was on IGN the other day and right at the top of their homepage was a fat headline about how to decrypt a secret code in a just-released game. A game in which you may not even know there IS a secret code. Now when I play it (which I already had every intention of doing), I will already know to look for the secret code! Also, I haven't even watched the first episode of GoT this season, but I already know the three major events that happen because it's in the news bar on my Facebook feed as headlines - not even something someone I know posted, but something that FACEBOOK ITSELF posted.

My advice to you, and the thing that I try to do, is stay away from sites that might cover content you want to experience fresh until the zeitgeist for that content has died down. Popular culture won't wait for you. That's just the way it will always go, dude.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Nah it's happened to me too, I don't know how they can avoid it though

I got a major reveal spoiled on the Steam forums from a thread title when I was just looking to see if a new patch was out (and to see if people thought it fixed things), since the framerate still swings like crazy on my machine

B:Ak is kind of an unusual situation because of the tech issues with the PC port. By now normally I would have known all this stuff already or would have avoided any places that even talk about it entirely. But since I'm trying to figure out when the game might be finally in a state I want to play it in, I kinda have to wade into places I'd normally typically avoid.

dkraytsberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this doesn't sound mean, but if you don't want spoilers about games, don't go to forums about games. Especially for the big release of the month, such as Batman. If a new game comes out that I intend to play (Witcher 3, for instance), I don't go to the forums, watch Quick Looks, or anything else, because I want to have a pure experience with the game. So my advice is just play the game, and go to the forums once you've had your fill, and you wont be spoiled.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

@josephknows said:

But it's hard to avoid here when people are making topics with titles like "SO HOW ABOUT X CHARACTER APPEARING AND DYING HUH? (SPOILERS)" and they just appear on the forum feed.

Which thread was that? I don't see anything like that in the main forum feed of newest topics, or in the Arkham Knight forum.

We are quite strict about spoilers in thread titles, and I haven't seen any threads that spoiled anything like that about Arkham Knight at all. In fact, I consider myself VERY sensitive to spoilers and I take spoilers on the forums quite seriously, and I don't see a single topic, including in the Arkham Knight forum, that I would consider to have a spoiler in the thread title.

If you notice a thread that you believe has a spoiler in the title, send the mods a PM using the link found on the right hand column of every forum page and we'll handle it right away. But right now...I'm just not sure what it is you're referring to.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I hope this doesn't sound mean, but if you don't want spoilers about games, don't go to forums about games.

As MB said, GB has a very strict rule forbidding spoilers in thread titles, specifically so those of us who don't want to be spoiled can still look for interesting general topics about new releases.

That said, I check out GB pretty much everyday, and I haven't seen any threads about Arkham Knight that I'd consider "spoilery". And certainly nothing about any characters dying.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Can't you hide certain boards?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I mean if you're that sensitive to spoilers I'd just suggest total media blackout until you feel that you've progressed in the game far enough that you're okay with seeing spoilery talk about it. If you muck about internet chatter of recently released games your bound to stumble upon a spoiler at some point.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jaws: The shark did it.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@demoskinos said:

I mean if you're that sensitive to spoilers I'd just suggest total media blackout until you feel that you've progressed in the game far enough that you're okay with seeing spoilery talk about it. If you muck about internet chatter of recently released games your bound to stumble upon a spoiler at some point.

This is what I do for those few games I really want to remain in the dark for. As silly as it feels to cut myself off from the world, it helps avoid any potential spoilers. Of course, most people can't dedicate 10+ hours to a game daily after it comes out, so I can understand being unable to stay away for maybe weeks at a time.