Steam games unavailable for "my region?"

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By BiggerBomb

I downloaded Steam a month or so back and I've had trouble downloading the games I wanted. I'm kinda embarrassed to say but I'm a bit of a vampire buff, because of this I decided I really wanted to download Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. I also love RPGs, so it was a win/win.

Unfortunately, when I tried to download the game a message appeared saying something along the lines of "this game is not available for your region." Does anyone know why this is? I live in New York, I'm surprised that games on Steam wouldn't be available for this area.

Has anyone else had this trouble? It's pissing me off. D:

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru

I've never used steam, but I've done some googling. I don't know if this may help you are not...

Question

When attempting to register my CD Key, I get the error message Steam Error: Game not available in your territory. What does this mean and what should I do?

Answer

You will receive this error message if you have purchased a regionally restricted copy of the game and attempt to use the game in a different region.

If you purchased a regionally restricted game and you do not live in that designated region, you must contact the seller for a refund.

Note:
Regionally restricted games will be noted as such on their packaging.

Source: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1266-QFZC-2141

Question

I receive the Steam error message "This subscription is not available for purchase in your country." when attempting to purchase a game through Steam.

Answer

This error message will display if you are attempting to purchase a game which is not for sale over Steam in the region you are connecting from. Developers and publishers of third-party titles may decide to restrict territories where certain games can be sold on Steam."

Source: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5498-QAZN-2303
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BiggerBomb

So I can't download this game (which is unavailable in retail stores) in the United States via Steam? What the hell, this is America...

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zeus_gb

That's unusual it's usually Europe that has their region locked out of games.

ItalyCanadian9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ItalyCanadian9

I thought it said religion. >__>

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BiggerBomb
ItalyCanadian9 said:
"I thought it said religion. >__>"

Yes you seem to see everything as religion. But let's not make this about you, you tend to creep people out. Including me.

I want to know if there is some way to bypass this because I really, really want to play this game. I've tried Best Buy and even *shudder* GameStop, though neither of them had it in stock. Even if they did, I still wouldn't want to buy it in a retail store because I wouldn't want my parents to see the game. They know I am mature enough for any game or movie, but that game might seem weird to them because of the shockingly provocative box art.

I don't think Troika has a store, largely because the stuido is defunct and neither CD Projekt's Good Old Game program or the Activision store have it in stock. I feel like I am getting royally screwed.
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By zeus_gb
BiggerBomb said:
"ItalyCanadian9 said:
"I thought it said religion. >__>"

Yes you seem to see everything as religion. But let's not make this about you, you tend to creep people out. Including me.

I want to know if there is some way to bypass this because I really, really want to play this game. I've tried Best Buy and even *shudder* GameStop, though neither of them had it in stock. Even if they did, I still wouldn't want to buy it in a retail store because I wouldn't want my parents to see the game. They know I am mature enough for any game or movie, but that game might seem weird to them because of the shockingly provocative box art.

I don't think Troika has a store, largely because the stuido is defunct and neither CD Projekt's Good Old Game program or the Activision store have it in stock. I feel like I am getting royally screwed."
Ebay
PharoahCapcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By PharoahCapcom

Piracy is your friend.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By xruntime
PharoahCapcom said:
"Piracy is your friend."

No its not. Contact Valve, because I doubt this is normal behavior, US is never locked out of anything.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb

All is good, thanks for the input. I guess when I checked Steam a few months back Bloodlines had just become available, which would explain the temporary region restriction.

I'm playing the game now and it's great. Oorah!

calf_exercises

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By calf_exercises

can you change your region setting?

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BiggerBomb

No, but I remembered that a similar problem happened with iTunes. It seems that some content when first released for download are region specific, but after a few weeks or months the region lock is lifted and it becomes available elsewhere. Ergo, I got the game.