Steam Halloween Sale

dcraig814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What’s everyone picking up on the Steam Halloween sale this weekend? I’m eyeballing Ghostrunner, Black Mesa or possibly Deep Rock Galactic though I don’t have any pals that are interested. Also lots of American Trucker maps for sale. 😬

caseywilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I'm waiting for it. COD: Warzone

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I might have a gander to see if there are any DLC packs in the pennies price range that I might like to top up on but otherwise because of PC GamePass and a few years of Humble subs I no longer feel the pull of things like Steam sales like I used to (and I'm pretty poor at the moment too). Am I alone in that?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I’ve been waiting to get Disco Elysium but those dang commies don’t believe in sales over 30%

OSail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not seeing anything particularly attractive, but I did pick up Phasmophobia to play over this weekend with friends.

I might have a gander to see if there are any DLC packs in the pennies price range that I might like to top up on but otherwise because of PC GamePass and a few years of Humble subs I no longer feel the pull of things like Steam sales like I used to (and I'm pretty poor at the moment too). Am I alone in that?

After you end up being active on Steam for several years (let alone over a decade like a lot of people) the sales do become much less appealing. That, and with every extra year of age a lot of us realize we spend way too much on games we're unlikely to play just because it was half price/75% off etc. 100 $2.00 games end up translating to $200 lost at that point.

Initially the huge sales on Steam seem incredible when your library is relatively small, but when you have stumbled into owning x hundred games, or x thousand, then...well, at that point it's near impossible to justify mass purchases every 3 months. Plus, as you said, the allure of GamePass and other subscription services make truly buying a license to a game less alluring (which is a worry for consumer rights, but that's another topic).

It is nice if a game comes up on sale you genuinely do want though.

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a nice little discount on paradise killer, may grab that

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I picked up Pamali, and Indonesian horror game. There are multiple episodes, I just grabbed the first, but the first one is like a little haunted house jaunt with a touch of choose-your-own-adventure. It's very neat.

Ryan3370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FWIW deep rock galactic is still really good solo. You get a companion robot with infinite ammo you can order to mine/attack stuff for you or revive you. I've done about 150 hours mostly solo and the only thing I can't do is the hardest difficulty

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the midst of a Witcher 3 replay since that has been on the todo list for years and, for many reasons, there is a good chance I'll never play it again after Cyberpunk comes out. So mostly waiting for the next sale (think there are expected 2 more before end of calendar year?)

But grabbed the Graveyard Keeper DLC since Stardew on infinite REALLY got me in the mood for more farming and jank, edgelord-y, and soulless as that game is, I kind of really like it and am also eager for not just falling back into my stardew hole.

Might finally grab hardspace but suspect that will once again fall into "it'll be there later, just wait". Same with Disco Elysium

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I’ve been waiting to get Disco Elysium but those dang commies don’t believe in sales over 30%

Disco Elysium is well worth full price trust me.

I've bought Sekiro and enjoy/regret that decision.
Also bought Vampire the Masquerade: Coteries of New York for it's storytelling value and to play after I rage out in Sekiro.

Avatar image for terminallychill
terminallychill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disco Elysium is great! I bought Frostpunk, been eyeing that for a while. I'm also having a tough time with Sekiro @ulfhedinn. I got the plat in Bloodborne but I almost never parried, I used the threaded cane and dodged all the attacks. I'm very bad with being forced to parrying in Sekiro, I got around 1/3 of the way through but want to go back eventually.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Humanity

@ulfhedinn: I know the days of crazy Steam sales are long behind us but if it's a holiday themed sale I just think "man this should be at least 50% off" - I mean we got spoiled over the years and now it's hard to come back to reality.

azulot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By azulot

I have been super into point and clicks after binging Clue Crew during work, and then playing thimbleweed park, so I bought a few Nancy Drew games and a Sherlock Holmes bundle. Gotta say, the short point and clicks are really nice for when work ramps up and I have less free time (if I'm playing those I don't end up falling off of a super long game and never getting back to it).

Ulfhedinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well the sale is over and it was lackluster.
As @humanity said sale was holiday themed so only ''spoopy'' games got discounted.

@terminallychill I enjoy Sekiro but I really need to work on my deflects since I'm mostly dodging stuff and that doesn't really break their posture and I get a hit or so in.
I like the learning curve and difficulty. I don't like when I do great for 3min and do one silly mistake just to die and start all over xD

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ulfhedinn: The dirty secret of Sekiro is that spamming the deflect button right before a hit will work 90% of the time. It looks wacky and not as cool to be jerking your sword up and down like you're going through a muscle spasm but I can fully admit that I wasn't good enough to perfectly parry otherwise. I beat Sekiro but it was a bit exhausting towards the end. Actually.. while I enjoyed the game.. it was exhausting from start to finish as even small sub-bosses were a challenge. Then again I had to contend with poor console performance. I tried the PC version and playing at 60 FPS was like night and day, but ultimately I was so far along on the Xbox that I didn't have it in me to start from scratch on PC even though it ran so much better. Similar situation with Monster Hunter right now. This is why I'm actually kind of excited for Ubisofts idea of cross-platform saves. I'm a lot more willing to double dip on a game if I know all my progress carries over from platform to platform.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Left 4 Dead 1 and 2.

Yeah. I know.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, that sale was over quick. I was thinking of buying a few games for my Extra Life marathon and missed it.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bybeach

Dammit, I forgot about Hellpoint.

But I will have another shot.

Or many shots, really.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#21 fisk0  Moderator

I only ended up buying a bunch of old MS-DOS games on the sale, most notably Rogue and Interphase.