Stuck in inverted control hell

pinefresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Years ago I used to always play with inverted controls both with a controller and a mouse, until one day I suddenly didn't. I don't know what happened but one day I woke up and suddenly had to move back to 'normal' controls.

I never thought about it again until I started playing Mario Odyssey where the camera controls never really clicked with me for some reason and I kept fighting it, eventually I switched it to inverted and it felt better.

Now my brain is stuck in some weird mix of inverted and non-inverted and I can't play anything using a controller without flailing around. I fired up the older Wolfenstien after months away and it was like I was an 80 year old playing a game for the first time. I started playing Horizon recently and started using inverted controls right from the start and it was going ok, but whenever I get into a tense situation my brain goes back to non-inverted and my view starts swimming all over the place.

Anyone have a similar experience? I have no idea what to do about it. Maybe plow through Wolfenstien on the easiest difficulty on non-inverted just to train my brain again?

mcsquared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am this exact same way. For years I would play normal then I would have to play inverted (much to the chagrin of my brother because we had to constantly change the settings in games) and then I would go back to normal. Now I just can't use controllers for 3D games, I have to use a mouse because I am never sure if I need the controller inverted or normal.

mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just stick with inverted, and suffer until it becomes natural again.

It's the only way to play. Plus it helps set you apart even more as being that old guy playing games.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have the strange situation where I'm fine with fps games (non-inverted) throughout but oh how I struggle with third person cameras. I tend to just get used to using the default settings and whenever the situation in a game gets stressful I am turned into a camera spinning mess. Odyssey I ended swapping the axis as it felt strange, but as soon as I did it felt even worse; I got there in the end though. Thankfully for most third person games I just blame the camera despite my ineptitude.