Tales of the bargain bin

the_red_mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Edited By the_red_mage

Hey there. So last week I kinda realized that I am finished with COD (MW3 to be precise). I just wanted to quit the multiplayer and to get rid of this friggin timesink. I played one last match to bid farewell to the campers, the ten year olds that were telling me about the awesome intercourse they've had with my mom last night (like really 3 kids in one night ... gross) and the whole leveling bullshit. And then I went to gamestop.

I know a lot of you guys seem to hold grudges against gamestop and I can see why but don't hit me and keep reading. Well I traded in this turd for a new copy of Vanquish (and a fucking bunch of MS-points), a game that I kinda wanted to buy when it came out in the late 2010 but never did because of ... well because of the 2011 release schedule.

This game is pretty awesome. It's heavily influenced (main designer) by Shinji Mikami who was behind the original Devil May Cry games, Viewtfull Joe AND the Resident Evil franchise and is basically a take on a "typical" western shooter by a Japanse development team. It doesn't explain itself very well and you'll need some time to get into the mechanics but once you're there it's a real blast.

So here is an example where a "new" (some weeks old) triple A game went to the bargain bin and has been replaced by a new copy of a one year old game. So anyone got some bargain bin stories to share? Anyone?

the_red_mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By the_red_mage

Hey there. So last week I kinda realized that I am finished with COD (MW3 to be precise). I just wanted to quit the multiplayer and to get rid of this friggin timesink. I played one last match to bid farewell to the campers, the ten year olds that were telling me about the awesome intercourse they've had with my mom last night (like really 3 kids in one night ... gross) and the whole leveling bullshit. And then I went to gamestop.

I know a lot of you guys seem to hold grudges against gamestop and I can see why but don't hit me and keep reading. Well I traded in this turd for a new copy of Vanquish (and a fucking bunch of MS-points), a game that I kinda wanted to buy when it came out in the late 2010 but never did because of ... well because of the 2011 release schedule.

This game is pretty awesome. It's heavily influenced (main designer) by Shinji Mikami who was behind the original Devil May Cry games, Viewtfull Joe AND the Resident Evil franchise and is basically a take on a "typical" western shooter by a Japanse development team. It doesn't explain itself very well and you'll need some time to get into the mechanics but once you're there it's a real blast.

So here is an example where a "new" (some weeks old) triple A game went to the bargain bin and has been replaced by a new copy of a one year old game. So anyone got some bargain bin stories to share? Anyone?

gamma_male

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By gamma_male

CHIPS - Darlington, UK. The year is 1988. I pick up a copy of Jet Set Willy (C64) for 50p. Even then 50p was basically fuck all. I entered the store a child. I left a man.

the_red_mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By the_red_mage

@gamma_male: Wow, I salute you. And here I hoped the best I'd get would be some dude telling me how he's bough Madden 20-something for a dime. This is actually a good tale of the bargain bin.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Commisar123

I have a lot of awful bargain bin tales, mostly because I hate myself, but I digress. I tend to buy games I know are bad because I want to mess around with them. Case and point is Sacred 2, which is really just a truly horrible game. I returned it soon after. Then there was Resident Evil 5, which I returned in less then 24 hours. And now I'm playing FFXIII during finals, so I don't even know what I'm doing anymore. To end on a happy note, I picked up Kane and Lynch 2 for about $2 on Steam, and I enjoyed it a lot considering its average gameplay, because the story was really cool and memorable. Anyway bargain bin hunting is a huge waste of money, but sometimes you find the precious gem, like when I was actually able to find a copy of Persona 3 FES in a Gamestop this year.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Karl_Boss

I always shop bargain bin, only games I bought from this year that weren't bargain bin prices were Halo: Anniversary and Battlefield 3.

Freezer_Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Freezer_Burn

I also had the luck of finding Vanquish in the bargain bin a few months back. More recent rummage through the bargain bin led me to Killzone 3 (For $20.00, which seemed like a good deal), and Alien: Infestation which seemed like the greatest deal ever.

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By pjacobson21

I came across vanquish for $15 new in the bargain bin of a walmart.  Great snag. But it's really short I think I would have been annoyed by the length had I paid $60 bucks for it, but at that price it was a steal.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By crusader8463

While waiting around Walmart for someone I was with to buy stuff I passed by the bargain bin, reached down to the bottom, and picked up a mint condition copy of a PS2 game I always wanted to play but could never find/afford. Rogue Galaxy for $5. This was last year. I couldn't believe my find. Any other time I have looked at the bargain bins it's been filled with nothing but 2-3 year old sports games, crappy movie tie in games, and the usual assortment of direct to garbage Wii games.

the_red_mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By the_red_mage

@Commisar123: What you say about precious gems is 100% correct I once found Nier and Way of the Samurai 3 (the second one is pretty rare for xbox owners over here in europe) in a local gamestop and bought them both for 10 bucks each. I really liked Nier and I've spent hours of my lifetime collecting swords in Way of the Samuray.

the_red_mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_red_mage

@pjacobson21: Same here for Vanquish I bought it for 20 € and although I like it alot, I don't think that I would be as happy with my purchase if I would've bought it for full price at launch.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Nice story