The Australian Christian Lobby is a big problem.

alphanull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By alphanull

It looks like the ACL won't back the new R18+ draft.

http://australianchristianlobby.org.au/2011/07/mr-norwegian-tragedy-highlights-impact-of-violent-video-games/

“If there are even a few deranged minds that can be taken over the edge by an obsession with violent games it is in every Australians interest that we ban them."

Funny they jump right on the one passing mention of a video game when the world at large is more worried about his extremist right-wing, Christian values.

Oh and then there's this:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-26/breivik-manifesto-praises-australian-conservatives/2810730 

Get ready, Australians. Looks like we ain't getting MK any time soon, at least not until the ACL is plucked from its high horse and brought down to Earth. But the likelihood of that happening... 
turner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By turner

i thought it was up to the governor generals of each state to decide?

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By blueduck
@alphanull said:

“If there are even a few deranged minds that can be taken over the edge by an obsession with bibles it is in every Australians interest that we ban them."

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pezen

How can an island full of convicts be so conservative about violence?

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By bushpusherr

As I posted in the other thread about the manifesto, it's disgusting that the ACL considers video games the corrupting influence in that matter...not the fact that the dude went on a mass murder spree to "preserve Christendom from the rising influence of Islam."  Tear my fucking hair out.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@Pezen said:

Seriously, dude. It's 2011, convict-jokes are incredibly lazy.
MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By MEATBALL

I don't know that the Australian Christian Lobby are that big a problem, but they certainly are annoying. That said, the classification system in this country is far too easily influenced by groups like the ACL. Wallace is a gigantic arse who'll take advantage of any situation, no matter how tragic, to promote his and his lobby's crap.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By jeffgoldblum

@mylifeforAiur said:

@Pezen said:

Seriously, dude. It's 2011, convict-jokes are incredibly lazy.

The joke has been running strong for hundreds of years why stop the mediocrity now?

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Pezen

@mylifeforAiur: I am fully aware it's not the 18th century. And I think it's a shame modern thinking people still have to suffer the intellectually retarded conservatives around the world ruining all the fun. But that doesn't mean I can't make a bad joke for my own amusement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bushpusherr said:

As I posted in the other thread about the manifesto, it's disgusting that the ACL considers video games the corrupting influence in that matter...not the fact that the dude went on a mass murder spree to "preserve Christendom from the rising influence of Islam." Tear my fucking hair out.

You have an awesome beard.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vitor

I like that the only comment on that article is better written and more well thought out that the article itself:

BrianJ says:

26 July 2011 at 7:36 am

In the light of this monstrous tragedy it is more and more apparent that we must live, show, practice, display and encourage… tolerance and acceptance of everyone, both privately and publicly, especially publicly. That a child can turn into an adult that resorts to actions like this must surely be through an upbringing that included intolerance and discrimination against groups based on nothing but race or religion, and this must have been part of his daily life. He thought it was normal to engage in hatred and prejudice, against groups that did not follow his ideas.

I bring this up because just last night on a commercial television station a reporter was displaying the ‘failure of multiculturalism’ through an extremely contrived situation with the aim to shock the audience and make them fear the ‘foreigner’. It completely ignored the tragic economic and social conditions these people suffered under, rather it highlighted that they were of another religious group than ‘us’.

Video game violence might affect users of video games, this is feasible. TV and the media inciting fear and hatred of groups based on nothing but race or religion is a thousand times more persuasive and insidious. I don’t remember growing up with media coverage so hostile and xenophobic, do you? I remember growing up with less media attention on racial/religious differences, with more acceptance. Am I fooling myself?