The Day After the Announcement

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for bombcastgoldthwait
BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wow, yesterday was huge. Too huge and too fast (That's what she said!) (Don't say anything, I hate myself more than you can know for typing that.) to post anything without some time to get my head around it first. So know that I had some time, I wanted to post what my feelings were. At first yesterday, I was so excited and happy for Tested joining the Mythbusters, Comic Vine *shrug* not a comic book reader, but happy-ish, no biggie, I was concerned for Screened (Still am, as of writing this no news on the fate of Rorie), Anime Vice? I always forget they were apart of Whiskey Media. Then there was Giant Bomb going to Gamespot... GAMESPOT!?!?!? What? Why? F**K THAT! F**K THEM! (GS not GB). That was pretty much my first reactions yesterday. Given the Gerstmanngate revelations and time, I have since got a hold of myself. I'm now cautiously excited, I realize this could be great for Giant Bomb in terms of opportunities and resources CBS can provide, and making GB what Jeff, Ryan, Vinny, and Brad always wanted it to be. However, I still am a little apprehensive. Yesterday, reading the forums a lot of people here have been saying that they trust GB and not to second guess them, but it's not them I have concern with, or GS for that matter, it's CBS. I have a strange fear that someday (a year from now, 2 years, 5, whatever) CBS might be in a siuation where they have to make cuts and say "Why exactly do have two videogame websites"? This is just a concern I have, and may never happen. Just hope that they have a management team in place at CBS that understands how video game websites are, and not have a Gerstmanngate II, Davisgate, Caravellagate, etc... In any case I am on board excited what comes from this. So happy for the guys, they deserve it.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By kerse

I personally love the term Gerstmanngate, I can't believe I didn't see that penny arcade til just yesterday.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@kerse said:

I personally love the term Gerstmanngate, I can't believe I didn't see that penny arcade til just yesterday.

Please post a link, I didn't saw that.

ghostchant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ghostchant

I prefer Drewpocalypse

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserbolts

I slept on it and watched the couple videos they put up about it and i'm more positive about it then I was at first. Can't blame people for their first reactions when something like this comes out of the blue. I think giantbomb will remain the best video game site on the internet so i'm not going anywhere. It's the same staff they always had so it will be awesome. It's going to be rough growing pains on the forums for the next few weeks but after a while it will calm down and everything will be fine again. I just can't wait for them to get settled in and the content flow goes back to normal.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WilltheMagicAsian
FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FateOfNever

I'm now concerned about Matt Rorie and Screened. That's just about the only thing that's changed since the news yesterday.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Hosstile17

At first, I was pretty surprised by all of it. But, it sounds like they will have the money and the talent to make this site better than it is now. The Tested thing is super cool. The only part of it that makes me a little wary is the Screened situation. What exactly is happening?

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@WilltheMagicAsian: Thanks duder.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Aaron_G

Yesterday was sure a day. I woke up this morning still wondering if it was still real.

BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laserbolts Why didn't I just put it like that instead of boring everybody with my sh*tty long drivel? You summed it up perfectly.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

Like you, I want to see where they go but am a bit apprehensive about joining back with CBS. They won't outright say it but they did it because they needed money to keep going.

But I don't think the Bomb is going to die. No, I believe that the Bomb will go on!

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By BonOrbitz

@FateOfNever said:

I'm now concerned about Matt Rorie and Screened. That's just about the only thing that's changed since the news yesterday.

Same here. From Rorie's post it feels like Giant Bomb literally took their shit and left without a heads-up. Don't know the full story, obviously, but my initial perception is that they did a shitty thing to him.

BombcastGoldthwait

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bonorbitz It did kind of come off that way. I just pictured Rorie going into the office and everyones stuff was gone. Nothing left, but his dimly lit desk and a box of horrible movie posters. I'M F*CKING CRYING NOW!!!

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By alternate

With the extra funding we can now afford to use paragraphs on the board.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By mrcraggle

This does seem like it's all happened rather quickly even though business decisions take months of talks and this is no exception. It's a shame they're all being split up though. They felt like this big, weird family that we (the community) were apart of and it's a shame that Whiskey Media will no longer be a thing. And what of the interns? Did no one think of them in all of this?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Funkydupe

There's a rumor that they're only to stay in the GameSpot offices for a little longer than year or so. Giant Bomb is building their new offices shortly. There are no rules against a child company outgrowing its parents are there?

Giant Bomb HQ
Giant Bomb HQ
XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By XenoNick

At first I was really unsure, hell I still am but I started to let it sink in a bit I am really interested to see where this goes.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By N7
@Funkydupe: Judging by your name, I don't think that's the actual Gamespot HQ.

Anyway, it's like people skimmed over the most important part of all this: They are NOT going to Gamespot. They are in the same building, and work for the same company, but that's it!
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By NathHaw

@bonorbitz said:

@FateOfNever said:

Same here. From Rorie's post it feels like Giant Bomb literally took their shit and left without a heads-up. Don't know the full story, obviously, but my initial perception is that they did a shitty thing to him.

He just tweeted that for now he will continue writing for Screened, but he won't know more until after this weekend.

Edit: Actually he tweeted "I wish I could say more! Maybe after this weekend."

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Funkydupe

@N7: I wrote that they're going to stay in the GameSpot offices. Which is truth.

I added the 3d concept of a large building and posed it as the upcoming Giant Bomb HQ. You did a little too much reading between the lines. I was making an attempt at humor, Giant Bomb getting funds and moving upwards was the general thought behind it.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By N7
@Funkydupe: That was a trick question. And you fell for it.
Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Funkydupe

@N7: Why would you want to trick me?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By N7
@Funkydupe: I'm... sorry... I just wanted to maybe live life on the wild side for a change and see what all of the fuss is about... But now... now I just feel foolish...
morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By morrelloman

@Funkydupe: reverse acquisition and divesting of GameSpot by 2015? I'll support that.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

We're still trying to keep all discussion about the announcement reserved to one or two threads to enforce our rules about duplicate threads on the boards. I hope you understand why it's important that we lock duplicate threads like this one.