#1 Edited by AssInAss (2714 posts) -

The Realm Kickstarter page - Atomhawk Design + Lantern Interactive

An emotive visually stunning game set in a familiar but strange future - an imaginative reinvention of the point&click adventure genre

I've always wanted more human/monster interactions like Majin in games. Since The Last Guardian is vaporware :P, I don't mind this.

The utterly generic, f2p sounding name won't help it, though.

Kinda cool to see England overgrown.

#2 Edited by AssInAss (2714 posts) -

Music by Richard Jacques

He did music for Sonic 3D, Headhunters, Mass Effect, Jet Set Radio games, Samba De Amigo, LittleBigPlanet 2.....damn!

#3 Posted by Winternet (8035 posts) -

Yeah, the name is bad.

#4 Edited by pickassoreborn (532 posts) -

Cheers for plugging our Kickstarter - I was about to do some professional whorin'

I didn't name the project. If I did, I would have called it The Sadness of Infinity.

It is exciting though - our first bonafide Kickstarter project. We've been working internally on Realm (sorry again) for some time now, so it's good that we've finally got things out there. Richard Jacques did an amazing job with the soundtrack for the trailer - we were surprised by him when he secretly used his orchestral time to give the trailer soundtrack more of a sheen.

Any help from you fine fellow GB duders would be very much appreciated - we really want to make this game something special.

#5 Edited by ConfusedOwl (961 posts) -

I'm not usually a fan of point and click games but this does look pretty nice. I'm really digging the art style.

#6 Edited by MrCaptain (369 posts) -

Wow! this looks really really great!

I really thought the game was f2p game when i clicked the topic, haha! But The Sadness Of Infinity sounds worse.

EDIT: Apparently there is an mmorpg called The Realm Online, but its not free to play.

#7 Edited by Kidavenger (3605 posts) -

This will probably sound really silly, but I've never backed a kickstarter if they didn't make some provision for giving out Steam keys. The way I buy and play games, it could be years before I get around to something and if it isn't right there waiting for me I'll definitely forget about it so I tend to not bother unless it is something incredible.

#8 Posted by AssInAss (2714 posts) -

Cheers for plugging our Kickstarter - I was about to do some professional whorin'

I didn't name the project. If I did, I would have called it The Sadness of Infinity.

It is exciting though - our first bonafide Kickstarter project. We've been working internally on Realm (sorry again) for some time now, so it's good that we've finally got things out there. Richard Jacques did an amazing job with the soundtrack for the trailer - we were surprised by him when he secretly used his orchestral time to give the trailer soundtrack more of a sheen.

Any help from you fine fellow GB duders would be very much appreciated - we really want to make this game something special.

Oh wow, are you on the team?

I hope this gets made, looks great. Best of success.

There's plenty of time to change that name :P

#9 Posted by pickassoreborn (532 posts) -

@assinass: I am indeed. Bearded chap on the right in front of the other bearded chap. Hang on. All those men on the right have beards. Beards.

It is pretty exciting to see where this will all lead - we already have a community of adventure game fans within Kickstarter itself helping. The community is extremely humbling, to be honest. I think it's something we've always wanted to do as a company and Kickstarter is a great way to not only fund it, but to directly connect with the people who will be funding and playing the game itself.

Onwards!

#10 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I'm gonna get all up ins with mah cynicsm: All I'm seeing is a bunch of pretty concept art, a couple frames of animation, and the most uninspiring name for a game in recent memory.

I guess there's a music dude what did some stuff, so that's cool.

Not sure if I should be excited for this game or not.

#11 Edited by AssInAss (2714 posts) -

Layerpaint interview with Atomhawk Design about The Ream

This interview is super cool, quite a lot of enticing info in there like the east (Miyazaki) + west art styles, future Newcastle not being full of Geordies but farmers, and emotions being delivered through body language (e.g. animated movies, cartoons) rather than usually faces in cutscenes of most games.

#12 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1497 posts) -

Wasn't there a game like this? Not exactly like this, but the whole, "Human character with a monster companion" thing. I remember Giant Bomb doing a quick look of a game like that, though I can't remember the name at all.

#13 Edited by EVO (3932 posts) -

Holy shit, this looks beautiful. I passed on Dreamfall but I might have to get in on this.

#14 Posted by Silver-Streak (1376 posts) -

Unfortunately, the name makes me immediately think of The Realm from Sierra online. One of the first graphical MMOs out there.

#15 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -
#16 Posted by AssInAss (2714 posts) -

New video update. Talk of mixing mystical with technology.

#17 Edited by pickassoreborn (532 posts) -

My boss doesn't know how to use apostrophes properly. This makes me slightly sad.

#18 Edited by AssInAss (2714 posts) -

New video on how they actually build the game:

Fascinating stuff.

#19 Posted by AssInAss (2714 posts) -

New Gameplay Details Video

They describe how the removal of pixel hunting and inventory management makes for different puzzles, give an example of one puzzle through concept art, the 4 camera system, and how the storytelling will be both in-game and through cutscenes.

You can download the trailer music now from Soundcloud. It's already such great music.

The Realm on Steam Greenlight

I'll be pleasantly surprised if this gets fully funded.