Think there will ever be a good video game movie?

Avatar image for bruceleesoapdish
BruceLeeSoapdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BruceLeeSoapdish

A short film with the Portal I.P. behind it. I thought it was pretty good for what it was.

Think there will ever be a good video game film?
Avatar image for bruceleesoapdish
BruceLeeSoapdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BruceLeeSoapdish

A short film with the Portal I.P. behind it. I thought it was pretty good for what it was.

Think there will ever be a good video game film?
SumDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By SumDeus

Yes. Video games have come a long way and many have cinematic qualities to them already. There are a lot of games now that make it hard to argue that video games aren't a proper art form, so I'm sure a really great director will eventually take a shot at making the transition to film when it would be taken more seriously.

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NickBOTT

Mortal Kombat is a good video game movie

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

No never. Simply because bad movies are their own kind of fun.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By gamb1t
@NickBOTT said:
/thread
TerraMantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By TerraMantis

When i watch something like that i want to say yes. On the other hand, it is hard to say because many games embody film qualities yet really the only thing i have seen that is good come from a video game and translated into film tends to be shorts like this. The shorts are essentially almost like teaser trailers like Assassin's Creed's newest Revelations trailer is pretty great and Dead Island had an amazing trailer, but it is a large transition to take a game's story that takes many hours to complete and put it into a medium that only has 90-180 minutes to tell the same story and do it in an entertaining manner. It can be done, it is just going to take a really good storyteller and director that has a passion for gaming too.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

What about Resident Evil? Or Prince of Persia? Or Tomb Raider? Those movies didn't get a lot of crap (comparatively).

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By AlexW00d

I legitimately enjoy the Resident Evil films, and that is all I look for in a film; enjoyment.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I would argue that the Prince of Persia movie is pretty good. The first Mortal Kombat movie is good too.  

On the other hand, I enjoy watching the Mario Bros. movie because I think it's laughably bad, so take my word as you will! 

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By WickedCestus

I don't see why there should be any video game movies. Like what the hell is the point? For books it makes sense because you finally get to see the characters you've only had described to you before, and video games based on movies make sense because you get to play the events of the movie. Movies based on video games just seems like a step backwards since most video games have too many cut-scenes in them to begin with.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I had high hopes for the Halo movie. Alas...it was not to be. District 9 was pretty awesome though so I'm not TOO upset.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Vinny_Says
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PeasantAbuse
@AlexW00d said:

I legitimately enjoy the Resident Evil films, and that is all I look for in a film; enjoyment.

Yeah, I like those as well.
IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By IBurningStar

The first half of the Silent Hill movie is great, sadly they get to that church and the film soon shits itself. So, we already have one film that is half good. Mortal Kombat is a good dumb movie. I like it. I think we will eventually get a great movie based on a video game.

ChernobylCow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By ChernobylCow

I thought Silent Hill was a pretty faithful adaptation.  I'd say it's a little more than "half-good".

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By crusader8463

There have been several good ones already. I enjoyed the Prince of Persia, Silent Hill, Mortal Kombats and the old Van Dam Street Fighter movies. Since the games came out then the Anime series, the first 2-3 seasons of Pokemon are great as well, and I would count that in with the above mentioned. 

I'm still holding out for Valve to decide to make their Meet the Videos into a full blown cartoon series. I want that more then anything.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Roger778

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time was a very entertaining film, even though the game was better.  I thought it was weird hearing Jake Gyllenhall (I hope I spelled that right) speak with a British accent, but I got used to it quickly. 

The two video game movies I know that are in the works, are ones I desperately hope will be good: Uncharted, and Mass Effect.  Neil Burger is starting all over on Uncharted, which is good news to me.  Mass Effect, however, I'm nervous about.  I don't want to see a movie that stars Sheperd, because I know it won't be my vision of her (yes, I think of Sheperd as a female Renegade Soldier).  I would rather see a movie about the First Contact War, or an all new film that's set in that amazing universe.   Anyway, we'll see how it turns out.

It is possible that we'll get a good Video game movie. but it will require a great director, and a very good script.  Here's hoping. 
Portis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Portis

@NickBOTT said:

Agree.

The first Mortal Kombat movie is genuinely good.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Yes.  Outside of MK there will be another when people figure out how to adapt them.

Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Witzig

I liked the dungeon seige movie.  

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By kashif1
@supermike6 said:
I don't see why there should be any video game movies. Like what the hell is the point? For books it makes sense because you finally get to see the characters you've only had described to you before, and video games based on movies make sense because you get to play the events of the movie. Movies based on video games just seems like a step backwards since most video games have too many cut-scenes in them to begin with.
It works for some games, like say Advent Children which was a sequel to the game it was based on or prince of Persia which is a re-imagining of the story it is based on.
Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Silver-Streak

@ChernobylCow: Silent Hill was exactly half good. The first half was them following the story of the first game, and was great. The 2nd half of the film was the screenwriter/director going off in a completely different direction ,and that is when the movie fell apart.

They had already cast the perfect Harry Mason, but put him as a side character. Had they kept with Sean Bean as Harry and followed the first game in the same vein that they were in the first half of the movie, it was have been a fantastic film.