Traded my PS4 for an Xbox One

Ockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

With a lot of the recent discussions about the Playstation Neo coming, I have been kinda been feeling a little disgusted with the Sony regarding the PS4. It's not that it didn't have any games of value on it, but I feel like I'm not completely alone in thinking that from the start, the PS4 felt under-powered. As a console gamer though, I figured this is what we're gonna get for this generation though, and you make the best of it. I didn't think games have visually looked horrible on PS4 exactly, but I do feel there have been far too many games that have bad frame rates, while my mid-tier PC can run the same games pretty excellently. Yes Yes, I know, before anyone says "you complain about graphics, and you get an Xbox One? lol" That's not really the reason I decided to do the trade...it just seemed like PS4 simply doesn't have much to offer in terms of exclusive to warrant owning one when you already have a PC, while Xbox One at least has a few. Not to mention the backward compatibility that continues to be added.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but besides games just not performing great on consoles in general, my biggest issue with the PS4 since it's launched is there has been VERY few justifications for it's existence as someone who also has a PC. The library of games is just a scaled back version of PC, with a handful of exclusives, but I feel like Bloodborne is the only game that has come close to feeling like an exclusive that may have been worth having a PS4 for.

I won't deny that I've actually been playing my PS4 a lot lately...been playing a hell of a lot of Hitman, and Binding of Isaac Rebirth...again the problem is though; I didn't really need to get these on PS4. I could just as easily have gotten them on PC, and probably for cheaper I might add. This past week on PSN, they had a sale for Golden Week, and I kept looking at what games interest me during this sale, and while there were some...most of the games I ended getting, I actually decided to just get games that either had Vita versions like Digimon Cyber Sleuth, which was cheaper, and could play on my PSTV. For other games, I got a PS3 version of some games which were also cheaper, like Nitroplus Blasterz. I even discovered that my copy of Binding of Isaac now works on my PSTV, which it didn't at first.

Which brought me to what the title says...I ended up meeting someone on craigslist, and we just did a trade where I gave my PS4, for his Xbox One (which he also gave me an external 2tb drive with, and a few games like Rise of the Tomb Raider, Star Wars Battlefront and Dead Rising 3). My decision behind this was not because of power clearly, because the console games on PS4 games that have performance issues, will still have those kind of issues on Xbox One I'm sure. The reason the thought crossed my mind though, is there were a bunch of games I could ONLY play on Xbox that were just really appealing to me. I never did get around to playing Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive, multiple games in Rare Replay, and those current console exclusive games I got with the system, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Dead Rising 3.

I made this thread, because I started to miss my PS4 a little...mostly because I did have a hefty library on it, which I'll still have digitally should I get another one. I am almost tempted to buy Hitman again on Xbox One though, because I was so addicted to playing that recently. I do feel like if I ever do get a PS4, trading it away now was the better idea if it goes down in value once the Neo comes out. And I'll probably have the extra money to buy a Neo when they're out too if I do still want a PS4 again, although I am starting to think about going into upgrading my PC more in the future instead if this is gonna be the future of consoles. Do you think I fucked up, or was this good idea you think? Does the Xbox One have the better library of exclusives if you were to own one of the current gen consoles (not including Wii U of course, which I've had since day one, and will keep because it's awesome in it's own way).

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By shivermetimbers

Do you like Gears of War? Cause if you do, you bought the right system. I would've just upgraded my PC as that is the much better investment in the long run.

Ockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivermetimbers: that certainly crossed my mind, but I don't think I could have traded the PS4 for a video card that was any better than what I'm current running, and I'd need to save up some money either way to get a new video card, which I may do later this year anyway.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By Shoey920

I'm someone who has both consoles so I don't really have a dog in their eternal fight.

but why get an Xbone if you have a mid range PC right now? Microsoft has essentially declared that all 1st party exclusives are going to the PC going forward and 3rd party exclusives are practically nonexistent on both platforms. It seems like a lateral move at best.

Also, yo dog how are you gonna play Persona 5 now!?

Ockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shoey920: Maybe future titles, but I feel like this summer at this current moment in time, there are more exclusives I wanna play on Xbox that aren't on PC or coming to PC. Some of them are older games, so others might overlook them, but I still wanna play Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive, a bunch of those Rare Replay games, etc...

By the time Persona 5 comes out, if it looks good enough to get a PS4 again for, I could consider doing so. Also, if it still comes to PS3, that is an option.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If you already have a good PC, it seems far more Xbox exclusives are available on PC than Sony exclusives are. There are pretty much no PS4 exclusives on the PC. Still, if you regret your decision later, you can always pickup a PS Neo or Xbox Two--whatever they call the upgrades systems when they come out--and you'll have plenty to play in the meanwhile.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I wouldn't worry about missing out on games. I used to (and to a small extent still do) have the mindset that I should own as many games as possible. Enjoy what you have in front of you. Again, invest in your gaming PC when you can. There's no need to own both consoles right away.

Ockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you already have a good PC, it seems far more Xbox exclusives are available on PC than Sony exclusives are. There are pretty much no PS4 exclusives on the PC. Still, if you regret your decision later, you can always pickup a PS Neo or Xbox Two--whatever they call the upgrades systems when they come out--and you'll have plenty to play in the meanwhile.

Ya know, you might be right in terms of sheer numbers, in terms of quality titles, I don't think I feel that way. Don't get me wrong, some people might love sony's exclusive games, and good for them, but like I mention in the my original post, the only exclusive to have hit PS4 that I would call a system seller was Bloodborne. Everything else, from Killzone, Infamous, Until Dawn, even the upcoming Uncharted 4...not worth it to me. I personally have always thought the Uncharted games were not that great in terms of gameplay, only in terms of visuals.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pyrodactyl

@ockman said:

@shoey920: Maybe future titles, but I feel like this summer at this current moment in time, there are more exclusives I wanna play on Xbox that aren't on PC or coming to PC. Some of them are older games, so others might overlook them, but I still wanna play Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive, a bunch of those Rare Replay games, etc...

By the time Persona 5 comes out, if it looks good enough to get a PS4 again for, I could consider doing so. Also, if it still comes to PS3, that is an option.

That could be in like 3 months or less. We'll know tomorrow.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigsocrates

I own both consoles and I play my Xbox One more, but honestly they each have pluses and minuses. You only screwed up if you feel you screwed up. This is video games, not stock trading, there are no absolute values. If you prefer the Xbox exclusives then you probably made the right choice. If not, well, as you said, they're still making PS4s.

You should grab Sunset Overdrive off Games with Gold. It is probably my favorite game of the entire generation and just criminally underrated. Danny O'Dwyer on the most recent episode of his podcast A Tournament of Lies expressed a lot of shock at how great it is. It's awesome and free right now. Don't sleep on it.

The other two stand out games for Xbone are Halo 5, which has amazing multiplayer, and Forza Horizon 2, which is genuinely one of the best driving games ever made. If you have any interest in either I urge you to pick them up, since if you're buying an Xbone for exclusives they are absolutely cream of the crop (and I'm not sure what Sony has that's comparable, unless you count The Last of Us, which was a PS3 game.)

Finally I'd recommend Titanfall if you can get it cheap. The game is probably my favorite competitive multiplayer shooter since...Modern Warfare. Just fantastic. The only reason I hesitate to recommend it right now is that it suffers from "old shooter" syndrome in that while there is still a community on Xbone (last time I checked) everyone is insanely good, which makes it a little rough for a newbie. Man those first few months of Titanfall though...another criminally underrated game (and people who say it 'lacked content' are just crazy people and I literally do not understand their perspectives. Regardless, all 3 expansion packs are free now so there's no lack of maps.)

It is worth noting that there's also a pretty hot sale going on right now for Xbone, which you can find on Major Nelson's blog. Lots of great games at good prices. Xbox generally doesn't slash prices as insanely as Sony, but there are deals to be found, like Swery's insane (in a good way) D4 is available for 2/3rds off right now, and there are Halo discounts, among other things.

Welcome to Xbone land. There are a lot of haters out there but the Xbone is a very very solid console and has just a ton of great stuff available for it. Is it better than the Ps4? Who knows? But it's pretty great.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I would have waited until official announcements if that was your reason for trading it in. And Xbone is even more underpowered so third party games will run a bit worse (some more noticeably). I guess i'm kind of the opposite in terms of exclusives, i don't feel xbox has any at all besides sequels to games that already have too many sequels. I have a pretty decent gaming PC but as far as consoles go Ps4 is definitely a better deal IMO, even with a new one possibly arriving soon. Sunset overdrive is the only game i really want to play on xbone, i've played enough halo and gears. Uncharted, Bloodborne and Persona are worth it for me alone

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Personally, I love my PS4, and I don't really feel like I'm missing too much by not having an XBOX One. That's personal preference though. If you feel like you might want to pick up a PS4 in the future, I would at least wait til E3, when Sony will almost definitely announce the PS4 Neo. When they make that announcement you can decide if you want to jump back in with the upgraded model or alternatively, you can wait for PS4 prices to plummet after the Neo is announced.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can you be so disgusted by something Sony hasn't even officially acknowledged yet?

Also isn't Microsoft planning to do pretty much the same thing?

coloursheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"my biggest issue with the PS4 since it's launched is there has been VERY few justifications for it's existence as someone who also has a PC"

I don't know how you can say this if you have been following the news at all, Microsoft has confirmed that most of the upcoming titles will also come to the PC while Sony's definitely will not. I mean look at the list, Quantum Break XBO and PC, Forza XBO and PC, Gears of War Ultimate XBO and PC, Gears of War 4 not confirmed but clearly suggested by Greenberg as coming to PC.

As for Sony, all first party titles PS4 no PC.

And "With a lot of the recent discussions about the Playstation Neo coming, I have been kinda been feeling a little disgusted with the Sony regarding the PS4", again did you miss that Microsoft is doing the same or close to the same thing?

At the end of the day what you do with you life is up to you but it seems that either you made a very uninformed decision or you are wilfully ignoring what is happening in the games space.

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You gotta' go with what games interest you. If Halo, Gears of War, Sunset Overdrive, etc. sound better than Uncharted, Infamous, Ratchet & Clank, etc., then I wouldn't feel bad about switching.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Sounds like an OK deal with the extra external drive and games, but yeah. With Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform initiative and upgradable Xbox One plans, there's a little more confirmed concern on the Xbox side. But you can always trade the Xbox away again lol

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

You're going to get a lot of blowback in this thread.

I'll keep my response simple. I love my Xbox One. And you're going to get a lot of use out of it.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have a PS4, and I haven't used it months. I use my XONE 100% of the time. I still have that PS4, just to prove a point. I am not gonna ever gonna sell it ever, but damn, we'll see if I ever use it. I like Persona just fine, but just don't care about most PS4 games. I bought Killzone Shadowfall, and it sucked then, and still sucks now, all things considered. Infamous was fine, which I don't care. And I'm sure God of War will be fine, and still don't care. I'll probably even buy it too then, but I'm still Eh about it. Stig Asmussen is doing some Respawn game now, that's nice.

Go figure. Forza is just great.

Lothars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Lothars

@ockman: Wow I honestly think you are insane for that trade and definitely got the worst end of the trade when your complaint is exclusives not living up to the hype.

Xbox has way more of those plus all Xbox exclusives will be on PC. I don't think I could recommend a xbox one to anyone that has a PC. I would recommend a PS4 without a second thought over that. I do think you got the shorter end of the deal. There are far better exclusives that stay exclusive on PS4. Also the part about being disgusted about Neo, Will you be equally disgusted when MS does it with the xbox one?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I think any decisions you made based on talk of Neo may have been misplaced, but only time will tell. Sony has not really shown what the difference could be, nor has anything said so far come from Sony's lips directly. Internal memos are one thing, but until Sony really describes what they will do, it is really an unknown. But with that said, I'd just say enjoy your new console! New equipment is always fun to play around with, and you have a nice basis for comparison.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless you want the older games I think it's silly to buy an Xbox One for exclusives. It's probably no longer going to have any. Either way I think it's bad idea in general to buy a PS4 or Xbox One right now. We need more details on their future plans.

That being said, if you have no problem jumping around between consoles and you really want to play games like Sunset Overdrive I say trade all you like. I would never sell games or consoles but trading is another matter.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Franstone

I think ya did the right thing, at least in the short term.
Not saying this as an Xbox One owner, I'm also a PC gamer.
We know Intel is launching new processors, we know next gen GPUs are coming, and we know the Neo is coming.
The only thing left that is a mystery (besides the NX) is what Microsoft's next step is gonna be.
You already stated you are open to the idea and OK with buying a Neo and/or upgrading your PC.
If all future Microsoft games are also coming to PC (which I believe Spencer stated is not the case but who knows) than your new/upgraded PC would have that covered.
Play the One games you are interested now and wait and see what happens.
I'd rather have a One and buy a Neo vs. having a PS4 and upgrading to a PS4.5.
At least you got an external drive out of the deal and it didn't cost you anything.

gizmo88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a hard time taking this OP seriously. He feels disgusted with Sony because they want to update their hardware? What is wrong with people?

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

The wave of console users migrating toward PC is gaining momentum. It is beyond dispute that the X1 and the PS4 are already looking very significantly under-powered and the their multi-platform title versions overpriced relative to the PC version. With both the console companies hinting at more powerful versions of their hardware down the line there's pretty much no point spending money on either of them right now (as I see it anyway). That said; OP enjoy playing the few X1 exclusives that you'll now have access to. I don't think you've made as crazy a choice as some might think... but it also isn't one I'd have made!

BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would make the same choice right now with plans to buy a Neo if something came out that I wanted to play. The base PS4 will be worth much less very soon, and it sounds like you got a nice deal.