Unicorn ladies caused the Goombapocalypse.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Edited By Video_Game_King

The suave, daring, unrivaled King of Video Games. He is on an EROTIC quest to see if lesbians indeed have the goods. BEWARE, the Moon.
The suave, daring, unrivaled King of Video Games. He is on an EROTIC quest to see if lesbians indeed have the goods. BEWARE, the Moon.
No Caption Provided

Feeling thoroughly confused yet? Then my job is done. I'd say this mirrors my own confusion about the disdain that this game garners, but I feel like I have a good understanding of the reasons behind that: it's put out a lot of games in a short period of time (five games in six years) and people are getting sick of it. How anybody could get sick of climbing huge buildings and running around Boston is outside my understanding.

Let it be said, though, that I still have some pretty big issues with Assassin's Creed III. Namely, it thinks it's a movie instead of a video game. You know, because that worked out so well for another A-named action game about the end of the world. OK, so it's completely unfair to compare this game to Alone in the Dark, but the game does hit on many of the same problems that I experienced there. For one, it's probably why the game's pacing is best described as glacial. Worse than that, though, is that any tension or emotional impact the game could ever hope to deliver feels completely and utterly manufactured. Listen to the music swell up as it's telling you that this is an exciting moment, goddamn it. Watch Connor react to huge events like he's been there before, simply because you pressed the X button once. Feeling pretty badass, right? And therein lies the problem: I don't feel badass at all. The game simply strapped me to the rails, force fed me every last little detail, and made it really hard for me to fail. When I do fail, it's more because I didn't do things like you wanted me to rather than through any significant failure on my behalf. True, there are moments when this works to the game's advantage (example), but they're the exception rather than the rule. Hell, the cinematic nature even robs you the satisfaction of taking part in some of the largermoments in the narrative because you, the player, can't be trusted with the responsibility. Instead, you're told exactly how to feel at each junction, and your only role is to press a button to remind the game you exist. But the story it's presenting has to be good to compensate, right?

Like YOU wouldn't want Haytham to be voiced by Vincent Price?
Like YOU wouldn't want Haytham to be voiced by Vincent Price?

Wellllllll, no. Not really. It has all the depth of a subatomic particle, and that's ignoring the idiocy of the Hollywood style production. It all begins with the 2012 Apocalypse looming around the corner, which, standing at the tail end of the very year after it, should tell you all you need to know about the quality of the writing. From there, we go to British assassins generally failing at stealth and Native Americans leaping from tree to tree before settling into Hope Leslie if everybody was trying to stab each other. The ideas backing up the story are rather solid and I could imagine them working well if, again, there was some actual depth to the story. Alas, that is not the case. Instead, it’s the villains mostly shouting some variant of "order order order order hedonism", the Assassins retorting with "freedom freedom freedom freedom", and for whatever reason, I'm expected to agree with the Assassins. (I won't even get into how the story subtly sets this all against a racial backdrop for some reason.)

Even more worrying is the corollary that if somebody disagrees with you politically, then it's perfectly fine to stab them in the face for it. Now I know that initially ,Connor's fighting for the more noble goal of protecting his people, but boy, does that lose its focus quickly. And yes, later in the game, this dialogue is fleshed out considerably more, but the core message remains the same: the Assassins are good because freedom. Yet somehow I still sympathize with the Templars over the Assassins. Look at how many people you brutally murder over the course of the game. Think of all the chaos you create in the name of "freedom". Hell, there's a gameplay feature specifically dedicated to starting riots. Who wouldn't want the Templars to take over and put an end to this dickery?

Nobody ever said
Nobody ever said "Miles" was a last name.

Speaking of the Templars, guess who mercilessly rewrites history to their benefit at every opportunity? That's right! The Assassins! At least that's what I got from how the game treats history. Apparently, every bad thing that ever happened in Massachusetts was all part of a Templar conspiracy. Boston Massacre? Templars. Britain's iron grip on the colonies? Templars. The Curse of the Bambino? The Templars are huge Yankees fans, obviously. But don't worry, because Connor Kenway's here to make it all right by attending every single event of historical importance, from the Tea Party to Yorktown to the signing of the goddamn Declaration of Independence. What's that? It's incredibly implausible that somebody could have a major influence on such large events in a nation's history, yet still remain shrouded in secrecy about it all? You're right!

It's almost as though the writers didn't give two craps about history. That would explain why the Boston Massacre looked worse than it actuallywas, or how Paul Revere wasn't arrested on his famous ride (at least that I could tell), or how the Stars and Stripes is used despite that not being popular use at the time, or when they used the word "shiv" despite it not appearing until 1915. I know that a major aspect of the game is that the history we know is actually a Templar lie, but you can only stretch that premise so far before it cracks under pressure. What could they stand to gain from keeping the word "shiv" a secret for nearly 150 years? Were they in the patent market that might as well have existed at this point, given what's already been established? I'd also mention the wasted opportunities that lie within the story (why can't I play as Ziio? Or super cool Chinese assassin lady?), but I feel I've criticized the game enough for now.

The entire Danish GDP was invested into this game's facial animations. Appreciate that.
The entire Danish GDP was invested into this game's facial animations. Appreciate that.

Which is why I'm going to tell you how utterly goddamn amazing this game looks. I'm aware that this plays into the game's problems of not focusing on substance as much as it should, but it's hard to care when the game looks this good. See all the detail packed into those models? It's almost like real life (for as corny as that sounds)! Yea, it never really animates, but how can you even afford to animate something this good looking? Besides, that's not even the worst graphical problem. That honor falls upon actually playing the game. Not to say that it looks bad, but the scene I linked before is a hard act to follow, and the game simply isn't up to the task. It tries, though. Dear god, does it try. Everything looks high def and usually with a smooth frame rate, but the real beauty lies in the world of colonial America. I don't even really know how to put it. There's just this really refined European aesthetic that makes everything a pleasure to look at.

And explore, too. Did I mention that? Well, I should have, because it's my favorite part of the game. Not just because of the world it creates, either (although that's certainly a big factor). There's just so much to do in this world, and the game rewards exploration quite well. There's always the obvious Viewpoints to scale, but if you're not up for that, you're in the wrong type of game. Who plays Assassin's Creed without getting the viewpoints? Yea, the climbing me....anyway, assuming that's not your thing, you can always chase ludicrously out of date almanac pages around like a giddy schoolgirl who climbs buildings for unknown reasons. That not your cup of tea? Then why not help the townspeople with their random problems? Or collect bird feathers, which are apparently in very short supply in New England? Hell, you can even just run around New York and ruin people's lives, if that's your thing. The point is that no matter where you look, there's something going on, and given the sheer volume and variety of tasks the game throws in your face, it's impossible not to find something you'll like.

Of course, if you get tired of the cityscape, there's always the Frontier to explore and hunt in.

Sadly, no option to assassinate.....whatever the hell this is supposed to be.
Sadly, no option to assassinate.....whatever the hell this is supposed to be.

Moving right along, there's also the combat looming over the horizon, just waiting to contradict the game's premise. You know how Assassins are supposed to be sneaky and clean about their murders? Well, I'm not seeing it here, because every fight I've ever been in has devolved into a far clumsier re-imagining of the Boston Massacre. Just keep bashing X until you've killed more people than the war surrounding you. It's brutal, simplistic, celebrates violence...and yet has this strange charm about it. Not just in therapeutically hitting a single button over and over, but in the flow of events. It's always very easy to get trapped in a sort of groove in battle, bashing up against one guy and effortlessly brushing off another's attacks. That may be because the game announces enemy attacks with all the subtlety of a penis (can YOU name a time when a penis has been subtle? Exactly.), but that's not of any importance in the heat of the moment. Imagine a gay night club where everybody's punching each other silly, and you have a good idea of what to expect from Assassin's Creed III.

Again, there's more to the game than what I've already listed. There are a couple of rewarding but difficult to control naval battles over the course of the narrative. Desmond hops about the globe from time to time, adding some level of variety to the experience. There's even a mansion to fuck around with, if you're into that sort of thing. Just looking at all that it offers, it's hard to imagine why anybody would dislike this game. Then you realize that it's all glued together with a one dimensional and frankly proselytizing story, and suddenly, judgment of it becomes much harder. I'd still recommend it, though, just so long as your controller has a rapid-fire skip cutscene button.

Review Synopsis

• This sums up the Assassin's Creed III story quite well.
  • Fortunately, that doesn't ruin the enjoyment of leaping from rooftop to rooftop. Still set to this, for reasons unknown.
  • Oh, and the combat's decent, too, although I can't imagine a description of it would help.

Before watching this video, keep in mind that it's meant to promote somebody's YouTube channel. Let that horror sink in for a minute.

No Caption Provided

Believe it or not, this game has some pedigree behind it. Turns out Game Arts was behind this. You know, the guys behind Lunar and Smash Bros.....and Alisia Dragoon. If you make games for long enough, chances are one of them's gonna suck. Fortunately, Yumimi Mix isn't one of those. Sadly, I couldn't understand a lot the language (which is a bit of a problem in what amounts to an FMV game), so I feel it slightly unfair to pass judgment on Yumimi Mix. But that being said, I'm still going to deem it average. Really, really average. The most distinctive thing I can say about this game is that if you have about 90 minutes to spare, it will occupy that amount of time somewhat well.

Now rather than begin with the story, I feel like I should open up with the gameplay, since, well, there's not a lot to describe. From time to time, you're presented with a choice and are expected to make one. Make your choice, see how it plays out, and then continue on with the story. If you're hoping that your choices have some sort of influence on the game, they really don't. Discounting the obvious differences between one choice and the next, none of them really have any lasting impact. Yea, there are three endings to pick, but only the choices at the absolute end of the game really have any impact on that. No, seriously, go check it out for yourself. Makes you wonder why they included that element of the game if it....wait, why is this a game, exactly? If my choices don't have much of an influence on what's going on, then why am I even making choices? It might as well be an OVA with a couple moments that only look like they'd make for an awesome game.

Let Keisuke fall prey to the zombie horde and make sure the little girl suckling on Yumimi there makes it out of this alive.
Let Keisuke fall prey to the zombie horde and make sure the little girl suckling on Yumimi there makes it out of this alive.

Hey, that reminds me: this game looks amazing....sort of. (Christ, this is just becoming Assassin's Creed Redux, isn't it?) On the one hand, the quality of the drawings is really fucking good. All the lines and colors are incredibly well defined, so everything's just really satisfying to look at. There are a few faces that amount to simple lines and dots, but given everything else the game has going for it, I choose to believe that this is more a stylistic choice than anything else. Just like the lack of animation. Time Gal this ain't. Movement is more implied than actually performed. For the most part, animation amounts to mouths simply opening/closing or maybe the absolute bare minimum animation needed for a scene to work. Not that there's anything wrong with this. After all, I imagine the reason behind the lack of animation is precisely because there's so much art in this game. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it lends the game this strange charm, like you're playing a manga while twelve year old girls yell shit in your ears. No, this isn't a flimsy justification for Yumimi's motionless nature; it's just something you have to be aware of before you jump into this.

Just like the magical elements in this game, because they're not readily apparent from the outset. At first, you're just helping this middle school girl called Yumimi get to middle school (and seeing her bathe, if that van came with your mustache), and suddenly, magical balls of light. They're just as abrupt and strange as I make them out to be, and it only gets weirder from there. Anne Heche will nuzzle Yumimi's sternum like crazy when given the opportunity, people bathe in Mountain Dew, and horse lesbians exist. Also, whatever the fuck this is. Eventually, though, every last fucked up element makes itself a legitimate element of the world ,decides to mellow out a bit, and reveal their true purpose: imprison monsters in another dimension for just existing. A tad worrying, but like I said, at least it adds purpose and direction to the plot, something that I don't think would be there otherwise. Without Sponge World, you'd just be left with a group of tweens bumming around their local neighborhood. At least this way, you get some cool action moments thrown into the mix, and that's gotta be worth something, right?

Yes, it does. I'm not contradicting my own premises. BUT I will say that they're not the main appeal behind Yumimi Mix. That honor would probably go to the graphics I mentioned before. Move further down the totem pole (which totally exists in this game), though, and I'd have to give it up to the characters. Quite the affable cast we have populating this. I've already mentioned our protagonist and Horse Lesbian Anne Heche, but there's so much more. Sort of Mean Blonde Girl. Keisuke Hiraga. Other Guy......My descriptions don't do them justice, do they? Believe me when I tell you that the characters are slightly more memorable than I make them out to be. Everybody generally puts a lot of genki energy into their performances, and the result is a generally fun experience. Yea, it's a very mild fun, but what more do you want out of a 90 minute experience?

Review Synopsis

• You know what The Walking Dead could use more of? Whatever the fuck this is.
  • And a lot of barely animated anime.
  • Still, for what it is, the story's alright, with some entertaining characters and soda baths.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Pretty accurately grabs my experience with AC3. Over the last year I have tried on five separate occasions to play through that game. Not five days or sessions, five week-long periods where I decided I was going to play AC3. And in each one I'd play for about 90 minutes or two hours and never want to touch the game again. You are absolutely not required in that game, if anything, you complicate things. It's a game that seems upset whenever you try to play it.

Unfortunately I didn't even get the thirst for exploration, because I hated Connor and I hated all the people he was talking to. Being forced to run through frontier areas between every mission only compounded my frustration, and then being 'rewarded' with interminable cutscenes talking to boring assholes about poorly fictionalized historical events? The only positive thing I'll add is that yeah, game is quite pretty. The only moment of genuine joy that game got me was the chance to walk around in colonial American towns, like a digital trip to Colonial Williamsburg. If all the AC series can offer in the future is historical virtual tourism, it might still be worth the 60 bucks. I'd pay 60 bucks for a tour of Napoleonic France, pre-Great War Germany, or Soviet states during the Warsaw Pact. Picture a game made in Palestine during the formation of Israel, in which the religious and race war is just a complication in your quest to find a hidden apple of eden. Or something.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@brodehouse:

I've honestly never understood the Connor hatred. I can understand hating the story, but Connor specifically? I don't remember him doing anything that would make me single him out as deserving of hate. Other than that, we're more or less in agreement.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: it's not necessarily hatred, just dissatisfaction. He's not as shitty as Altair, but he's no Ezio. I don't care about what happens to Connor, I don't care what he thinks or does. It makes it hard to want to get into adventures if you don't care about the protagonist.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By EXTomar

I think a problem with AC3 is that Connor (and to a lesser extent Altiar) is emotionally borked. Ezio wasn't gleefully having fun but he also wasn't brooding about everything either. What feels like a key difference is that although all of them had reasons to fight, Ezio seemed to have reasons to live and fight on and it was reflected through the story. In an effort to paint some "moral ambiguity" with the British Templars and his tribe to add some texture or depth to the story it really didn't change Connor's mission and just turned Connor mopey.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The Forrest Gump approach to historical events is kind of an easy trap to fall into, apparently. Part of it is probably that they just want to take full advantage of the setting in a way consumers would recognize, but still it can be pretty silly. At least it's better than God of War's 'introduce every single person you've ever heard of and then have you murder them' method.

I never played AC3, but I watched the story bits on Youtube, and the impression I got is that there were some interesting ideas there but it got bogged down by awful dialogue and unclear motivations. Connor wasn't bad, in the same way that Ezio isn't actually very interesting. And they haven't done Desmond well since the first game.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: I never hated Connor, but I found him far less interesting than any other AC main characters (that even includes super-bland Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad). I've always found the personality and story-arc of Ezio most appealing. And in my opinion he was recently joined by Edward Kenway (AC4) as one of the best characters of the series.

I'm in complete agreement with your points about the story and how it was told, especially inserting Connor into every major event of that time. It went from interesting to silly quite fast. But, I had some good times with it. I feel the same about it as Mass Effect 3 though. I had an enjoyable to okay ride, but the end left me unsatisfied.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least it's better than God of War's 'introduce every single person you've ever heard of and then have you murder them' method.

Isn't that the entire point of Assassin's Creed?

Oh, the story started off as silly when they were quoting Alice in Wonderland in an attempt to look literary. Then it got sillier from there.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I've written my piece on this game already, so you know where I stand on it. Personally, Connor isn't necessarily the problem I have with the story of the game. He's mopey all the time, but that detachment lets him comment on the state of the revolution as an almost unwilling participant. (though, "WHERE IS CHARLES LEE" has become something of an in-joke with my brother and I). Still, I'd have liked to see a game where you play as Haytham the entire time, because Haytham is a much better character and I wouldn't have minded more templar sympathizing after what they did in this one already.

Either way, there are enough qualms I have with the gameplay to make most of the issues I have with the story seem insignificant. It's a good thing that AC4 fixes a lot of those problems.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

Still, I'd have liked to see a game where you play as Haytham the entire time, because Haytham is a much better character and I wouldn't have minded more templar sympathizing after what they did in this one already.

You know my opinion on that: we need an Assassin's Creed game where you play as Ratigan the entire time. If I knew anything about modding, I'd make it happen myself.

Either way, there are enough qualms I have with the gameplay to make most of the issues I have with the story seem insignificant.

Seems we're the completely inverse, then.

It's a good thing that AC4 fixes a lot of those problems.

Which can only mean that the story becomes much worse.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: They quoted Alice in AC3? I recently played Far Cry 3 were they did exactly the same. Goddamn Ubisoft, keep it in one game.

You should really play AC4 (if you haven't), the story isn't that bad actually. Kenway has a surprisingly deep character arc which gives weight to his actions later in the game. The game even tugs at some heartstrings as the story unfolds.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fetchfox:

It's even the same quote between the two games.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By fetchfox

@video_game_king: Yeah, I looked it up "In another moment down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again". I find it slightly more fitting in Far Cry 3, Shaun saying it is a little silly.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@markwahlberg said:

At least it's better than God of War's 'introduce every single person you've ever heard of and then have you murder them' method.

Isn't that the entire point of Assassin's Creed?

Not... kind of? They're there, but it's like, Richard the Lionheart shows up, Da Vinci is your bro, Washington hovers in the background - I haven't played all of them, but the impression I got was that it was more just 'hey look it's that guy' than anything else. Especially early on, it was more about the cities as historical entities than the individual people.

Well, that and dueling a super-powered Pope in the Space Vatican.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When was that? All I remember was Ezio pit-wrestling the Pope before discovering all that Minerva space alien bullshit.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markwahlberg said:

When was that? All I remember was Ezio pit-wrestling the Pope before discovering all that Minerva space alien bullshit.

Well, yeah. Apple staff -> superpowers, random glowy alien bits everywhere -> space.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Is that a unicorn mixed with a seal?