Upgrading RAM for macbook 13"

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By CptChiken

Hey, so just a quick question really from a computer upgrade illiterate.

I want to upgrade the RAM on my mid 2009 macbook pro 13".

My question is are there some brands of RAM that are better than others? are there some that dont work with mac?

Thanks for the help.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ShadowSkill11

0_o ...Christ.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@CptChiken: In my experience, the Macbooks pretty much take any brand, just as long as you get the right memory speed for that motherboard. I would just go with the value version of a name-brand vs something you've never heard of. Something like this would do the job.

@ShadowSkill11: He's asking a legit question dude. Not a Mac user I'm guessing? I use every OS personally. They're all cool in their own way.

Macbook Mid-2009 spec page.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By AndrewB

Hey, that's my Macbook!

I upgraded to 8GB of DDR3 1333, but the system can only run it at 1066. Why did I buy RAM speed I didn't need? Because faster actually cost me less at the time and on the off chance I upgrade, the speed would be welcome.

The point is that you're pretty much safe with any SODIMM (the standard for laptop-sized memory) from a decent brand. Do *not* buy into the idea that the Macbook needs specific Apple certified RAM. It's regular ole' RAM slots.

Avatar image for the_moorasaurus
The_Moorasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Moorasaurus

@AndrewB: Wait wait wait... are you telling me I could upgrade my MacBook Pro, (this one) to 8 GB of RAM (from its measly 2GB) with this stuff from amazon for £29, instead of Apple's £320, and it would work just fine, despite the fact it's 1333Mhz instead of 1066Mhz?

If you are you just made my day!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AndrewB

@The_Moorasaurus: Not those specific sticks. Laptop memory is different than desktop memory. This would be what you want, but yeah, you could go with the 1333 and it would work, just run at the slower speed (and yeah, it's cheaper too, so why not?). But I'm not sure about that brand.

That's from my system profiler, by the way.
That's from my system profiler, by the way.
Duke_Rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Duke_Rich

One website you could check out if you haven't already seen it, is Crucial (http://www.crucial.com/)

You just need to put in what model it is and it gives you a list of upgrades that are compatible with your laptop.

Plus, it's pretty cheap, especially compared to Apple, they'll make you pay out the butt for nothing special.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CptChiken

Thanks for the help. Just needed to be doubly sure that i wasn't about to completely waste my money. Probably going to go for the crucial 8GB upgrade because from what ive heard they are the best while still being pretty cheap.

Duke_Rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Duke_Rich

One of the other good things about Crucial is that they normally have videos/guides on how to install it as well. I'm not sure how different the Macbook Pro's are compared to the standard Macbooks, but it's pretty simple to take out the old and put in the new RAM.

Hope it all goes well and runs smoothly :)

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CptChiken

@Duke_Rich: Yeah ive looked up how to do it and it just seems like unscrew the casing of the mac, pop out the old cards and slot the new ones in. Easy peasy.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By alternate

Look for the tested SSD macbook upgrade. Is a good video showing you at least how to open it up easily.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AndrewB

You just need a really tiny phillips head screwdriver. Something kinda like what you'd use for glasses.