Video games and violence

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for themountaingoat
TheMountainGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheMountainGoat

New longitudinal study came out last month. Behind a paywall unfortunately but I figured I'd post it here.

Abstract: This article presents 2 studies of the association of media violence rates with societal violence rates. In the first study, movie violence and homicide rates are examined across the 20th century and into the 21st (1920–2005). Throughout the mid-20th century small-to-moderate correlational relationships can be observed between movie violence and homicide rates in the United States. This trend reversed in the early and latter 20th century, with movie violence rates inversely related to homicide rates. In the second study, videogame violence consumption is examined against youth violence rates in the previous 2 decades. Videogame consumption is associated with a decline in youth violence rates. Results suggest that societal consumption of media violence is not predictive of increased societal violence rates.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcom.12129/abstract

Avatar image for deactivated-583dfbc21c8a9
deactivated-583dfbc21c8a9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've felt for a while that while video games are too violent as a whole and I'd like to see many more non-violent games, but games only encourage violence from already violent individuals. Frustration from difficulty and competition has had more of an effect on mood than the violence in my experience :P

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

Not sure there is a point to this topic staying open since no one can even read the article you linked, and you didn't have much to say about it anyway.