Video games that play with the way we play video games?

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm trying to think of a way to describe this but I want to try and come up with a good list of games that maybe realize it's a game and plays with that in the story. Please just name the game and put the reason why in a spoiler block if people haven't played it.

Spec Ops: The Line

I think its cool how in the end you are kind of the bad guy all because the player wanted to keep pushing forward because its a video game

Bioshock

Again the player willingly moves through Rapture at some guys command and they turn that into a plot twist. It was shocking to realize that you were just a slave.

Any others?

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

The Cave is very much like those you mentioned.

Little Inferno

You keep burning everything they give you because it limits your inventory, you also come in with a video game mentality. But if you save certain items you can get hidden endings.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Both Bastion and Dragon's Dogma played with the New Game+ concept in a pretty interesting way.

EDIT: Also, while I still haven't played it (despite owning it...), I'm to understand that Nier does something similar with its NG+ mode, too.

They both implemented it as apart of the story and evolved it beyond a mere mechanical feature. In Bastion, you would (possibly) go back in time; and in Dragon's Dogma, playing NG+ was basically the world starting anew because of the cycle it's stuck in. In fact, according to what I'd read, when you reach the end boss again, you would face a different Arisen character than the default one, apparently determined by whomever was the last player to complete the game.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Pie

Far Cry 3 but don't ask me to explain why

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By oraknabo

All of the Metal Gear Solid games do it to some degree, especially in the Psycho Mantis boss fight in 1, the crazy ending stuff in 2 and the final boss fight in 3.

It's still fairly rare in AAA titles. Kojima and Levine are probably the best at it in that realm, but there are tons of indie titles that do this. Even well known ones like Braid and Fez were essentially doing it. It seems like indie is moving more toward social commentary right now, but for the last few years, I feel like subverting player expectations was one of the defining elements of the better indie games I played.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By LackingSaint

Bioshock: Infinite

Constants and variables, giving a narrative definition for why some decisions are up to the player and some are automated. Usually in a game you'd just have shit that has to happen and then some stuff you're able to choose, but in the case of Infinite it's a core theme of the game why that's the case.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

That late-game cybernetics upgrade getting hyped all over the city, then the villains using it to cripple your abilities if you actually installed it. Luckily I took a stray piece of advice from a walkthrough after skimming it because of the game's bosses and DIDN'T install it, but I know for a fact I just would've done so without thinking otherwise.

Crash Bandicoot

You're like, on a very specific narrow path the whole time, because like, you're a Bandicoot and stuff so you aren't really smart enough to think about things in a broad way, man. It's cray-cray.