Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

Recently, there have been a spite of games that have come or is coming out that aims to rekindle our love for nostalgia titles. I'll just name a few off the top of my head.

1. Fallout 3
Although vastly different from it's predecessor, its amazing how hard the developers try to draw on assets from the old game and even redevelop the old turn-based system into the amazing VATS that we have today. Who didn't grin like an idiot when you recognised the old beeps and boops of the UI.

2. Dragon Age
Although its yet to come out, all it's much touted 'spiritual successor' to Baldur's Gate and its camera system that let's people straight up zoom back to the good old isometric days.

...etc

So I'm glad to see developers going back to legacy titles and finding ways to make them work in the new era of gamer's expectations. Too be honest, I myself have been bitten by the nostalgia bug lately when I found my old copy of X-com - Enemy Unknown and I will now gush on it on how I want it to come back.

It's rumoured that they're making a new X-com now but I'll just list my expectations anyway.
1. Battlescape - something like a slightly zoomed out Diablo 3 or a fixed camera isometric 3d view like Dragon age. ( I name picked Diablo because I always like how they did their shadows which is a must for an x-com game.)
2. Turn-based battles - VATS, need I say more? From the Isometric view mentioned above, it scopes down to a 3rd person shoulder level view and like Fallout 3, lets you select the enemies and how or where you want to kill it. Remember how good the Sectoids spilled their guts? Imagine VATS.
3. Procedurally generated cities with living people - Open world games are all the rage now. Why not just a small but detailed instance?
...etc (let me think)

X-Com was a game that covered many many genres and excelled in all of them. Base building, economy, fighting, flying...etc. These days, games have been less ambitious and tend to focus into area of gameplay which makes me miss all those crazy early 90's stuff.

So what does everyone think? What past game mechanics or just straight up games that you feel should be brought back to life?