What are you excited for from the State of Play?

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Rejizzle

Poll What are you excited for from the State of Play? (25 votes)

Ape Escape: Pumped and Primed 2 28%
Knack HD Collection 12%
Gritty Sly Cooper reboot 36%
All Stars Battle Royale 2 8%
Other joke answer (please specify) 16%
No Caption Provided

There are 4 types of Playstation fans, which are you?

• 
bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 bigsocrates  Online

Jokes aside, I'm psyched for FF VII DLC (with a free upgrade to the base game, which is awesome) and very excited that Soulstorm will be a freebie game on PS+.

PS+ for PS5 has been absolutely killing it. Destruction Allstars is not good but it was originally going to be a $70 game so it has that and everything else has been aces. Sucks that they aren't providing PS4 versions when the console is impossible to get for many people, but people are going to get PS5s and have an absolutely killer library waiting for them if they're + subscribers.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By Nodima

Depending on how in-depth the bonus "episode" is, and how detailed the quality of life upgrades are, I'm super excited about going back to FFVII Remake once I get a PS5. Even if it's mostly boiler plate, save transfer means I can just enjoy the new content free of charge and that's pretty damn cool on Square's part.

...It's funny, I mainly want a PS5 as much as I do right now because I had already been itching to replay God of War and Spider-Man, now with this there's just more stuff I've already played I really want to replay to see what all the fuss is with 4K and whatnot.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Square heard my tears at night for some Yuffie content, and busted out the bless wand just for me, so I'm a happy camper.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bigsocrates  Online

@nodima: The new content won't be free of charge. We don't have a price on it, but if you look on the PlayStation store it's clear that the new stuff is included in the PS5 versions but not the PS4 versions that people already own (and the PS5 versions are $10 more so it will be at least $10 but likely more.)

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm just excited that FF7 remake is a free ps+ game next month. Been putting off buying it for a year now, and it's finally paying off!

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rejizzle: Heh, if it helps the ff7r in ps+ will not be upgradeable and you'll need to repurchase if you want it on ps5.

And I guess I would say Sifu is what I am most excited for. I love the concept of Absolver but could never sit down long enough to figure out the deck building aspects and I am intrigued by what the "age on each death" aspect of it will mean. A run-based 80s hong kong martial arts flick sounds REALLY fun.

LuminaryGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Returnal is going to surprise a lot of people. It looks great and I recently picked up Nex Machina by Housemarque, it’s really good.

I hope it does well.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The FF7 DLC looks interesting. Kinda weird that folks getting the base game via PS+ don't get the PS5 version though.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bigsocrates  Online

@luminaryghost: Housemarque has only made small games in the past. This is a full price fully 3D game with a lot to prove. It's just way more than they've ever done before. That's my hesitation, plus the whole Roguelike thing, which isn't fatal for my tastes but isn't as appealing as a hand crafted game.

Nex Machina was excellent, though. And Eugene Jarvis had a role in it, which is awesome.

@ry_ry: There's no way SQUEENIX was going to give away copies of that game for a port they haven't even done yet. I think it's a totally fine compromise. People can play the PS4 version on their PS5 and upgrade if and when they want to.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I still have no idea if Returnal will justify it's retail price tag. I look forward to it because I look forward to all Housemarque games (even if they are usually hit or miss for me) but I dunno from what I've seen I'm not sure if it can justify however much games are now. I feel like if it was a more budget title it might do better.

I'm kind of interested in nearly everything they showed.

I was 100% committed to not playing that new Oddworld (hated remake of the first one) but when they announced it was on PS Plus I was like "well I guess I'm giving it a shot"

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SIFU looks so dope. Like a roguelite Oldboy videogame

sandm0rph22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Returnal. It's $70 so it's gotta be big and high quality.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Returnal costs 80€ over here digitally, which I’m afraid is going to be it’s demise. Even if it would somehow end up being the next roguelike hit after Hades, you can still buy *three* copies of Hades for it’s price and still have 5€ to spare. That’s a steep asking price for a brand-new IP that is ”just” a roguelike.

I do hope that it succeeds, because Housemarque has had some rough goings in the recent-ish years and I’ve enjoyed most of their games. I’ll also grab Returnal if I can find a much cheaper physical copy.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bigsocrates  Online

@glots: That is kind of what Brad said in reaction to the trailer and I'm not sure I understand it. What does "just" a Roguelike mean? We often associate Roguelites with low production values and repeated content but it's not like inherent to the genre. You could make a Roguelite with fantastic production values and tons of stuff to see and do. We don't really know what Returnal is.

Now to be fair, from the trailers I definitely get a budget AAA vibe, and $70 might be a lot for what's being presented...but it also might not. Diablo III was a full price game and while not a Roguelite it had randomly generated levels. There are other examples of full priced games with randomly generated levels that did well and were respected. I think we have to view the game as the whole package, not just that one aspect, to know if it will have value and if people will be willing to buy it for full price, and we just don't know enough yet.