What are your next gen (XSX, PS5) video coverage resolution/framerate expectations?

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

Poll What are your next gen (XSX, PS5) video coverage resolution/framerate expectations? (150 votes)

1080 / 60 55%
1080 / 120 5%
4k / 30 12%
4k / 60 28%
4k / 120 0%

As we move to consoles doing native 4k/60 content, and as TVs and devices (Apple TV, etc) allow for streaming 4k/60+, what are your expectations of Giant Bomb's next gen video coverage?

Personally I'm hoping for at least 4k/60. While my TV does 120hz, it only is able to do it at 1440, and even then I'm not sure how much content would be available at that rate. It feels like 4k/60 is the next step in truly showing how games look, at least from the resolution side. A lot of content on YouTube is now 4k.

What do you all think?

• 
alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By alternate

They discuss it on the latest Hotspot. Basically you have to host the files yourself because the free providers like youtube offer such poor bitrates that their version of "4K" is a waste of time. Going it alone brings with it the cost of hosting, storing, transporting and streaming huge file sizes. Add to this the current work at home situation and I would not expect any long form 4K content out of GB any time soon. Best you can probably hope for is a short additional clip of "gee look how pretty it is in 4K" as an addendum to the standard 1080p coverage.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@alternate: Youtube 4K is perfectly acceptable. It's not going to look like a 4K blu ray, but no internet video will.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@ll_exile_ll: 4k on Youtube looks close enough to uncompressed 1080p video, which works for my needs perfectly well.

I don't expect most outlets or streamers, aside from the heavily tech-focused ones, to be spitting out video at 4k. I doubt most people have the bandwidth or screens to take advantage of it properly, or the eye to even be able to tell 1080p apart from 4k.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By frytup

I think they'll have to bump many Quick Looks up to 4K/60 just to showcase the games properly, but general streams are fine at 1080/60.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I still have a 1080p screen and monitor, and the type of person who is going to use those till they die, so for me personally im not going to see much improvement. But if its really a costly thing to implement im ok with them using 1080p 30-60fps video and letting Sony, MS and probably Digital Foundry do the heavy lifting and backup and host the 4k60+fps HDR videos. For general streaming you are probably watching for the entertainment more then the resolution, and Quick Looks have always been more about seeing how the game plays rather then the technical details. And places like Digital Foundry do a much better job of showing the technical stuff off anyway.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1080/60. I only see them moving to 4k coverage if that starts to become the market share / industry standard.

kapinkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have a cheap 4K TV in the main room in the house but nothing that plays back at 4K. All other TV/Monitors are 1080p or worse. Australian internet doesn't exactly encourage anything above 720/1080 at best.

Avatar image for deactivated-611d8183a00c9
deactivated-611d8183a00c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

@theadmin: I want to know what their ceiling is for streamer Stadia-ish content. The original Xbox one and PS4 can’t do 4K. Is that processing issue? HDMI? So I’d like to see 4K/60 from the box/disc and a continuous evolving cap out of xcloud and psnow. I also expect them to start charging by the hour soon.. I guess that’s gamepass.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For what GB does? I'd anticipate that 1080/60 will be the standard for awhile. Production and storage for 4k/60 in a professional studio environment is still pretty pricey.

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1080 60 is fine. 4k is overrated.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I'd rather take high bit-rate 1080p than mediocre 4K.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@theadmin: Oops, I misunderstood the question. I should have read better. I put 4k /60 thinking it was about my expectations of the consoles. For GB's coverage, I would say 1080 / 60.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arinah08: lol same.

Asking about video coverage seemed like a weird question which is why I read "video coverage" as in what the new consoles will "cover" in terms of output.

There is pretty much no reason to assume anything better than 1080p 60.

Unless people are watching reviews and trailers on 4k tvs and downloaded, you won't get anything close to the actual output.

That, and Imo graphics are a very small piece if what determines if I buy a game. Because most of the time "bad graphics" are barely noticeable unless you do whag digital foundry does and zoom to 200% and swipe transition.....

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1080/60, not only do i have a 1080p monitor and not really care about graphics all that much, but my internet isn't fast enough to even buffer Youtube's version of 4K.
Where i'm at 4K still feels like overkill.

RoyalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

1080 60. Like you don't really need more than that and the cost could not possibly be worth it for Giant Bomb at this time. Maybe a few years down the road but certainly not within the next year here.

Eroq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about everyone else, but I never really watch this stuff on any 4k displays, I just upgraded to 1440p on my pc earlier this year. 1080p 60 is enough to get the point across imo.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

If they can't nail 1080/60 on these things then we're in trouble.

plan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like 1080/Consistent frame rate. I do not need 60 FPS if the developer is doing something cool or impressive. I 100% do not need, or want, higher resolutions or 4K. I do not need even bigger games.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I’m ok with 1080p / 60. Took me a while to realize their videos when I started following the site in 2013 / 2014 were in 720p since they looked so good.

Eventually if they did 4K / 60, that would be cool, but I’m not looking for / needing that when the new consoles launch.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, I still think 60fps is a stretch. I think those days have gone in favour of 'stuff on screen'.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By csl316

I read this wrong, thinking about next gen expectations (4k 60fps).

For coverage, 1080/60 is perfecty fine for me. Official trailers from game companies can be as high end as possible, but having hour+ videos to process and store is asking way too much for media outlets.