Edited 10 months, 13 days ago

Poll: What do you do with greeting cards? (49 votes)

Throw away immediately 31%
Display for a period of time, then throw away 24%
Display for a period of time, then put them in a box/dresser for safekeeping 27%
Display for years out of guilt/not wanting to insult sender by tossing/storing them 0%
Who sends greeting cards anymore? 14%
Other 14%

Today I received a very nice thank you card from a friend whose loved one had recently died. I had attended the loved one's wake and chipped in with some other friends for flowers. This person's not a close friend, but someone I've known for years and still hang out with sometime.

Anyway, I now have this card on my bookshelf, and I always wonder what greeting card protocol is, depending on the nature of the card. I'll probably keep the card out for a few weeks and then put in my dresser. I won't throw it out though, because that seems rude to the sender for taking the time to write a nice message and send me a 'thank you' in the first place.

What about you, GB community. What's your protocol for this mundane issue?

#1 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5430 posts) -

My initial reaction is to read it then throw away immediately, but somehow they pile up over the years.

#2 Posted by falserelic (5412 posts) -

My initial reaction is to read it then throw away immediately, but somehow they pile up over the years.

this.

#3 Edited by mosespippy (4120 posts) -

I have a folder in my filing cabinet. They all get there eventually.

#4 Posted by BillyMaysRIP (175 posts) -

I put them in a box, and if the person who sent one shows up at the house, I pull out the card and put it somewhere. It's rather simple.

#5 Edited by Hamst3r (4481 posts) -

I don't receive or send any greeting cards.

#6 Edited by Ravelle (1251 posts) -

I keep birthday cards on display until my birthday is over, then throw them away. It feels weird throwing them away though.

#7 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3782 posts) -

If there's a handwritten message, I put it in my "memory box". Cards with a signature just get tossed, immediately.

#8 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3228 posts) -

I keep every card I've ever received... forever.

"Preserve your memories/they're all that's left you"

#9 Posted by TheRealMoot (365 posts) -

Christmas cards get hung up on a string running between the beams in my house between my kitchen / living room and remain there till new years, then they get tossed.

Birthday cards get left on the table/mantle/desk/wherever I feel like it, on display for the rest of the month. Then get tossed.

Any other card is read, placed on the whatever area and left there for a week or two then tossed.

Sympathy cards are read, placed on the whatever area then destroyed once the person leaves my home/

#10 Edited by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

They sit on the table for a week then I throw them out.

Unless...they are from the girlfriend, then I save them. Personally wouldn't save them all, but I do. Typically women want to know/think you care about these small things, so her knowing I saved them all might mean something to her someday.

#11 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Use 'em for roach.

#12 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#13 Posted by AlexW00d (6236 posts) -

I don't like cards all that much - rather a happy birthday in person or whatever - but I'd feel like a dickhead if I threw them away, so they just end up piling up somewhere.

#14 Posted by mlarrabee (2927 posts) -

I once kept every letter, card, and personal note I received.

Then, one day, I threw nearly all of them away, keeping only the "important" ones (first birthday, last card from departed grandparent, that sort). These days, I can't quite justify keeping most cards since I've already thrown away papers that were more important to me.

#15 Posted by Vanick (329 posts) -

I keep them up for like a week and then usually throw them away...I'm a monster, but a neat monster.

#16 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I do not accept cards. If I receive one in the post, any money it contains is removed, then the card is placed in the recycle bin.

I have always hated cards. What a fucking waste of everyone's money.

#17 Posted by egg (1455 posts) -

Greeting card?

oh bloody hell

TOSS IT IN THE BIN!

#18 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Its a fucking card, toss that shit. Even with a small hand written message, its essentially useless.

Fuck cards. Its the laziest thing ever. I hate them. I'd rather get nothing.