What happened to the caricatures of staff on reviews

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I very vividly remember a cartoon drawing of Jeff on the Syndicate review with like rainbows shooting out of his eyes. I seem to remember these for each of the review writing staff members and the cartoon's expression was related to the rating the game received. I pulled up the Syndicate review and I didn't see it. When did these things disappear and do they still exist somewhere?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They axed them a long time ago (last site redesign?) because they are soulless and hate joy.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yea! I really liked those! Forgot all about them.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

They axed them a long time ago (last site redesign?) because they are soulless and hate joy.

Or because Alex, who does most of the reviews, only had one cartoon version of himself? Anyway, we've seen enough live footage of Jeff to know how he looks when he thinks a game is terrible.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Jeff didn't like the way they represented the scores and removed them.

It's been like 3 years or more now.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#6  Edited By MEATBALL

A big reason Jeff gave was that the portraits could paint reviews and their scores in a way that wasn't always intended. I also think they didn't want to have to keep making them for new staff or have a split where some staff had them and others didn't.

A huge bummer, it was something that when first coming to the site really helped establish that this was a place with great personality. I always really loved the review portraits. I was super disappointed when it was revealed they were going away. Imagine how awesome Dan Ryckert's review portraits could be. :P

Thinking about it now, you know what could be a cool replacement in future that could potentially take less effort? Using photos as review portraits. I just had an awesome image pop into my head of a 5 Star Dan Review accompanied by a picture of Dan all hyped up in his Ribera Steakhouse Jacket and American Flag pants doing a Hulk Hogan pose or something. :P

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Steadying

Pretty sure they were removed a while ago during the last redesign.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By meteora3255

Thanks for the info guys. Glad to know I am not living in some fever dream where Jeff just has rainbows shooting from his eyes when he likes things.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: Dan's 5 Star reviews could just have this playing on loop in the background. After all, multimedia IS the future.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meteora3255: I have copies of all of their cartoon review faces if you want them.

• Jeff
  • Ryan
  • Brad
  • Vinny
  • Alex
  • Drew

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar: Man that song NEVER gets old to me. I used to watch wcw and wwf (e) during the late 90s - 2002ish and all the moments with the hulk and this song and his old matches. AHHHHH!! too bad wrassling got to contemporary and threw out the gimmicky characters :/

on topic: yes those cartoons were the best part of the reviews sometimes!

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: I would very much like them, just because outside of Jeff's 5 star face I can't remember the others.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TruthTellah

@meteora3255: Here you go, the staff's 1-5 star faces:

Brad, Ryan, Jeff, and Vinny
Brad, Ryan, Jeff, and Vinny
Alex
Alex
Drew
Drew

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By csl316

I can't see Vinny's without thinking of that horrible "cunt" remix. Come to think of it, that whole video features these damn things.

Hey, I'm just quoting it here. What, did I go too far?

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda like that Drew only had one face. The one face Drew makes when playing games

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@truthtellah: Is Drew basically Doug Funny?

Also, did Vinny ever write 5 reviews?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ajamafalous

Communism happened.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that alex one is unofficial right? still love it.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#21 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@ripelivejam: I think so, though I have a vague memory of it being used, so I don't really know.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I think these were indeed done away with after the move from Whiskey to CBS. That required a really quick reworking of the site for some legal reasons (the other company that bought part of Whiskey got a fair amount of the tech) and in the interest of getting it up and running quickly some things, like quests and bounties, had to go by the wayside. Still want to bring it all back but it's always a matter of resources.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BisonHero
TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@bisonhero said:

@truthtellah: Is Drew basically Doug Funny?

Also, did Vinny ever write 5 reviews?

Drew is Doug Funny. Confirmed.

And Vinny did write a 5 star review 5 years ago. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time.

I meant "Did Vinny write enough reviews to even use the full range of his review score pictures?"

uhhhhh...

I have no idea. That's actually a good question. A number of these were never used. I think only all of Jeff's ever got used.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Also, didn't Kessler have a rather cherubic picture for his reviews? Also Dave had his picture where he is in chain mail and a helmet.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dragon_Puncher

@bisonhero:

I'm pretty sure Vinny never gave a 1 star review because when the got rid of the images people where sad they never had a chance to see it. Little did we know that the image had been used in the I Love Mondays intro for years.

Edit: As far as I remember from that time, all of the other pictures got used at some point.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TruthTellah

@truthtellah: Also, didn't Kessler have a rather cherubic picture for his reviews? Also Dave had his picture where he is in chain mail and a helmet.

Not sure. I don't seem to remember them having their own images, but perhaps you're right.

This is the only Dave Snider image I know.
This is the only Dave Snider image I know.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BisonHero
No Caption Provided

@truthtellah: Sadly I can't find the Dave picture anywhere. Google and Internet Archive have failed me. I'm sure some users on the site have it somewhere (which is how I got this one of Kessler because somebody made a thread about it years ago and surprisingly the picture in that thread is preserved better than the snapshots of the old site on Internet Archive).

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By topsteer

@bisonhero: Oh my god I forgot about that cherub Kessler picture, that was amazing. Dave definitely had one that I think he said was inspired by a character in Ultima.

The only review picture I remember them using of Alex was him looking like Commando which I think was also his Screened picture.

Edit: This is the picture of Alex I was talking about.

No Caption Provided

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero:

The chainmail and helmet picture was kinda used with all "none staff" reviews back in the day (expect Kessler). I remember Drew's Dirt 2 review using that image as well.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I see! Yeah, I didn't remember that crazy Cherub Kessler. Crazy.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By topsteer

I found Dave's picture, I think this was related to quests?

No Caption Provided

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

I think these were indeed done away with after the move from Whiskey to CBS. That required a really quick reworking of the site for some legal reasons (the other company that bought part of Whiskey got a fair amount of the tech) and in the interest of getting it up and running quickly some things, like quests and bounties, had to go by the wayside. Still want to bring it all back but it's always a matter of resources.

O don't even get my hopes up of quests coming back. I will be on this site for days completing them again if they ever come back. If you bring them back, I'm holding a party... a sad one man party... for a feature on a video game website... I'm a sad lonely man.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure you could do a cartoon caricature of Dan if they brought them back, the man is a cartoon caricature given human form.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Capum15

@truthtellah: I can't tell if I like Vinny going Super Saiyan or Drews' fantastic expressions more.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#36  Edited By ADAMWD

For a personality driven site, it still makes no sense to me that they removed something that added a lot of personality.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@adamwd said:

For a personality driven site, it still makes no sense to me that they removed something that added a lot of personality.

They often misrepresented the tone of the review and confused people. It happened the most on games getting three stars, since you occasionally end up with a "positive game with significant flaws" three-star game or a "bad game that has a couple of bright spots" sort of three-star game. Also the original artist went and got a real job, making it hard for us to get new images that fit the style of the old ones. The combination of misrepresentation and logistics made them kind of a hassle.

ADAMWD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@jeff: Alright, I can buy that. That line of thinking is consistent with how you recently said that the Metacritic colors for reviews is perfect for the site. I suppose in an ideal world you would have dozens of unique images to choose from, so that there would always be something to accurately portray the tone of the review. I still think that visual aid gives a lot of expression and says more than 1-5 stars colored gold.