What's with the knife?

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is it just me, or does every single Mailbag start with talk about Jeff's credit card knife?

That's all. Thank you, good night!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Only the ones where Jeff needs to cut things!

CUT! ZAN-DATSU!

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By 49th

What's up with these guys always opening mail too!? Am I right?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

CUT! ZAN-DATSU!

WTB Jeff's credit card knife DLC for MGS: Colon: Subtitle: Revengance.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whats with weirdos sending them candy and shit. Isn't that creepy? Am i the only one?

Whats worse is when they send them like 50 old ass shitty PC games and the guys have to pretend "oh cool...." so they don't seem like assholes.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whats with weirdos sending them candy and shit. Isn't that creepy? Am i the only one?

Whats worse is when they send them like 50 old ass shitty PC games and the guys have to pretend "oh cool...." so they don't seem like assholes.

Candy and energy drinks have been a mailbag staple since the beginning, but I think they've reached a point where they've seen every possible weird candy or energy drink from around the world (haven't checked out today's mailbag, though). Plus, it's just not the same without Will Smith taste-testing.

And I can kind of understand with the old PC games. You don't want to throw them out and not a whole lot people would even know what to do with 20-year-old computer games, probably, but yeah. The only person that seems willing to put in the effort to try and make them work is Drew, on occasion; everyone else goes to GOG.

Again, I understand, but all it has accomplished is "hey, look at all these games they'll probably never touch because they do not want to go through the trouble of setting them up or worse, they just don't care."

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By cornbredx

And whats up with airplane food?

@wjb: if people feel a need to give someone their old games they don't want I would be happy to take all of them. Just putting that out there, although I probably have all of them already but... whatever!

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wjb

@cornbredx: Giant Bomb community can be like Storage Wars where someone will say they have a booklet of 20 random, unknown PC games and the rest will start bidding.

...or show the games, and then people can have an essay contest to determine why they should get those games.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb said:
@clonedzero said:

Candy and energy drinks have been a mailbag staple since the beginning, but I think they've reached a point where they've seen every possible weird candy or energy drink from around the world (haven't checked out today's mailbag, though). Plus, it's just not the same without Will Smith taste-testing.

And I can kind of understand with the old PC games. You don't want to throw them out and not a whole lot people would even know what to do with 20-year-old computer games, probably, but yeah. The only person that seems willing to put in the effort to try and make them work is Drew, on occasion; everyone else goes to GOG.

Again, I understand, but all it has accomplished is "hey, look at all these games they'll probably never touch because they do not want to go through the trouble of setting them up or worse, they just don't care."

Well. Sending weird drinks and candy to strangers just seems weird i don't care if its been a staple. It's still weird.

The games are of course the worst. It's clear they're not worth anything, they're garbage games. Old crap most people won't give two damns about, and if they do they can get a better copy easier. These people are effectively using the staff as a garbage bin for internet fame. It's gross.

I mean these guys will have already collected working copies of any game they care about. You sending them garbage games in a mail bag so they gotta make a video out of it is just dumb. It wastes your time, it wastes their time and it wastes my time watching the dumb crap.

It's really painful watching them pretend that they care. The only time I've ever seen a mailbag that mattered was the one where Patrick got that gaming PC in the mail, which honestly, felt really gross. In that position i'd feel REALLY weird accepting that.

I dunno mailbags are gross. They act all insulted and grossed out when companies give them t-shirts and stuff, then happily open boxes full of treats? Hypocrites lol

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clonedzero: No, I agree. I'd be lying if I said I didn't find some enjoyment from mailbag videos, but over the past year, the gifts have gotten more and more out of control. I was suckered into thinking that mailbag with the dozens of PC games would translate into something (Random PC Game is (was?) my favorite feature -- RIP Dave), but like I said, with the exception of Drew trying out a few titles, everything might as well be garbage since it's easier to go to GOG. And maybe that's what some people's intention was, and if so, mission accomplished, I guess?

And yeah, I'm not outraged by Patrick getting a free gaming PC -- at least he's making content out of it -- but he should probably still consider buying his own at some point and donate the one he got. Hopefully he has already considered it, because he didn't seem 100% comfortable taking the gift. Could be wrong...

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How are you drawing a comparison ethically between receiving gifts from PR reps as a part of their job versus a fan of your website sending you a present, no strings attached,in the mail?

I work in procurement and had someone try and give me a holiday...erhmmm..."business trip" to tour their facilities in Malaysia, first class, 5 star hotels, all expenses paid, while they were applying for a tender.

Because I said no, am I a hypocrite unless I go home and cancel Christmas with my wife?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The fact that people can have such strong opinions about fan mail is high-larious. I'm not actually laughing though...

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe my body isn't wracked with crippling cynicism, but I'd like to think of mailbags as fans showing their appreciation of Giantbomb's dumb shit by sending them more dumb shit.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, people are really over thinking mailbags.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like this must be faux-overthinking on behalf of some users. I mean, @clonedzero has to be kidding for comedic effect. @wjb seems sincere, but I imagine none of us are genuinely that serious about something as silly as the Mailbag videos.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But how else will the Giant Bomb Gods know not to destroy us? Or offerings are the only thing separating us from complete and total damnation.

In the name of the Jeff, the Ryan, and the Holy Brad, Amen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RainbowCarnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RainbowCarnage

He should be using a baseball bat.

HerpDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@truthtellah: I would think that too, until I see the posts on UPF where people start to spring conspiracies about Ryan Davis basically beating up Matt Rorie and taking his lunch money.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dungbootle
Loading Video...

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I really need to catch up on the podcasts. But jumping into the middle is nonsensical, and you only get half the jokes, its only until a month later that it becomes funny.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By ProfessorK

Man, people are really over thinking mailbags.

I know, right?

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think that Jeff is just jealous of Gabes´s knife collection.

No Caption Provided

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By wjb
@truthtellah said:

I feel like this must be faux-overthinking on behalf of some users. I mean, @clonedzero has to be kidding for comedic effect. @wjb seems sincere, but I imagine none of us are genuinely that serious about something as silly as the Mailbag videos.

~shurg~ I was more trying to empathize with @clonedzero because I understand his sentiment to a degree.

I'm never outraged and like I said, I enjoy the mailbags for the most part, but I am a little curious if people think the staff is ever going to use their old PC stuff or is it simply dumping trash onto someone else without the guilt of throwing it away?

Meh, I was bored last night. It happens.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

The fact that people can have such strong opinions about fan mail is high-larious. I'm not actually laughing though...

He's just mad cause no one has ever sent him a gift.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

If they really didn't want to receive candy or old games I assume they just wouldn't film it

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@wjb said:
@clonedzero said:

Well. Sending weird drinks and candy to strangers just seems weird i don't care if its been a staple. It's still weird.

The games are of course the worst. It's clear they're not worth anything, they're garbage games. Old crap most people won't give two damns about, and if they do they can get a better copy easier. These people are effectively using the staff as a garbage bin for internet fame. It's gross.

I mean these guys will have already collected working copies of any game they care about. You sending them garbage games in a mail bag so they gotta make a video out of it is just dumb. It wastes your time, it wastes their time and it wastes my time watching the dumb crap.

It's really painful watching them pretend that they care. The only time I've ever seen a mailbag that mattered was the one where Patrick got that gaming PC in the mail, which honestly, felt really gross. In that position i'd feel REALLY weird accepting that.

I dunno mailbags are gross. They act all insulted and grossed out when companies give them t-shirts and stuff, then happily open boxes full of treats? Hypocrites lol

The mailbags are not at all as big a deal as you're making it out to be. You should consider chilling the fuck out.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I wonder how a thread about why they have the same conversation about that knife each time they do a mailbag went so crazily off the rails so fast.

I mean I could know, but I'm scared to read anymore of it.

xite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if you've ever been a subscriber but they often play those games on Unprofessional Fridays and end up making great content out of it. Maybe get a clue before you run your mouth in future.